Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Thoughtful advice needed
Cohesion #397375 09/26/13 09:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have had M60v3's for almost 4 years now. They have been loved, admired and revered, and not just by myself. Other attenuated ears (long-time musician friends) felt the same. I always thought the only signif. diff. would be at the bottom. Recently, having been the other part of lampshade's post, I had 60's and 80's (also v3's) at the same time in my listening room. I was surprised that they were even more transparent than my 60's---across the entire spectrum!

That's why I'm trading up to the 100's. Oh, no, it's not because I truly expect that they will, if even slightly, surpass the performance of the 80's. It's because now I can have the model up from Chris (lampshade). Who says this isn't all, penis politics?! I'm willing to admit it! My best-friend-tool-acquisition competitor passed on, so now I have had to find alternative avenues. Had I known Mark...

(For those who do not know better, I'm kidding. For those who DO know better, you're all crap to me and I hate you.)

Equally interesting:

Chris called later that day and asked if I had plugged my 60's back in yet. I had, immediately after the 80's were gone.
"Well, what did you think when you listened to them?"

"Oddly, I wasn't disappointed at all. It was like they were never here."

I'm glad I'm making a dbl jump to the 100's, because that WILL be noticeable, everywhere.

If I were choosing again between the 60's and 80's, I'd choose the 80's. I have 7.1 ep500, QS8, 150, in wood, ycb's, like great speakers should be clad. Nuthin' says "audiophile" like plastic, I always say. I also never aspired to grow up, buy a house, and cover it with plastic, either, and I haven't. I listen to music many hours per week. Can't say that for bluray. It was fun at first, but there's way more stuff I'm eager to hear than to watch.

Now I know I was always a 2 channel guy (I could have, but didn't fall for Quad, thank gaud.) The 100's are my big return to that, if I don't die from mesh prolapse waiting for them.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Boomzilla #397378 09/27/13 12:30 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks to ALL who have responded - You've entertained, edumocated, and enlightened me!

To answer some of your questions:

All my music is ripped from 44.1 KHz "red book" CDs.
I listen via iTunes streamed to an Airport Express
The TOSLINK output of the Airport is plugged into a Jolida tube DAC
The DAC drives power amplifiers directly (I've got a variety of amps)
The amps currently vertically bi-amplify my Definitive Technology SM65 speakers
I own 3 subwoofers, but none are currently in use.

I listen to stereo almost exclusively unless friends come over for movies.

I like a wide, Wide, WIDE variety of music. My most recent listening session included:

Dolly Parton
LMFAO
Madonna
Stravinsky's Firebird
Norah Jones
The Gatlin Brothers
The Lords of Acid
The Atlantic Brass Quintet
Kraftwerk
Jennifer Warnes
Jerry Reed
Yo Yo Ma
Etc.

As a result of your suggestions, and having actually heard my friend's, I'm leaning toward some M80s. Questions:

Axiom apparently doesn't think that bi-wiring or bi-amplifying their speakers makes any difference. To my ears, however, my DefTechs sound significantly better with bi-amplification. Is Axiom nuts or am I?

Do the cast baskets available from Axiom make any difference in the speakers' sound?

Can additional cabinet bracing be had from Axiom? The one thing bad that I notice about my friend's M80s is that the cabinets seem poorly reinforced.

Does Axiom have annual Christmas sales or something? Their list prices (although inexpensive both in terms of quality for the money and in the absolute sense) are very close to a number of other speakers that I've heard and loved.

And finally - Is anyone on the boards interested in upgrading their Axioms and selling me their old M60s or M80s?

Thanks - Boomzilla

My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it!
Boomzilla #397379 09/27/13 01:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Having listened to various combinations of speakers at Axiom before here is what I think:

M22 + Sub = M60 with a much better bottom end

The M80 is considerably better than the M60 in the bottom end and subtly better in the mids and treble.

They are all very good speakers. I'm curious why you do not have the M100 on your list. If you are listening 2 channel, then these would appear to give you the best bass of the lot.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
BobKay #397380 09/27/13 01:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BobKay
(For those who do not know better, I'm kidding. For those who DO know better, you're all crap to me and I hate you.)

We all missed you to Bob.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #397381 09/27/13 02:49 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: fredk
...I'm curious why you do not have the M100 on your list. If you are listening 2 channel, then these would appear to give you the best bass of the lot.

Not according to the specs, Fred - This website says the -3 dB point of the M-100s is 31 Hz. The M-80's is also 31 Hz. So on the face of it, and using Axiom's own specs, no difference!

Since I don't listen loudly, why would I pay $1,100 extra for no better frequency response and louder volume capabilities that I won't ever use?

Also, in smaller spaces (where I'm headed in a few years), the M100s would be an even greater mismatch. In fact, the M22s with a sub are sounding better. When I get to the smaller space, I can cull the sub & still do just fine. Further, the cabinets being smaller, they're less likely to "sing along with the music," making the speakers less likely to need replacement when I move.

Again, does Axiom ever have sales?

Thanks - Boomzilla

My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it!
Boomzilla #397384 09/27/13 03:23 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Not really "sales", but note that the factory outlet offers new speakers at 10% off which have slight cosmetic blemishes. These are generally so slight as to be practically undetectable, which was the case with my M22s.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Boomzilla #397394 09/27/13 12:18 PM
local
local
Hi Boom,

Since you asked, I do have a pair of M80's sitting unused right now. They were originally purchased from the Axiom Outlet about 1-2 years ago. There must be some blemish on them but I've never noticed any...

I'd consider selling them if you decide you want to go with M80's. Are you in Canada? I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to ship very far as Axiom probably gets a much better shipping rate than I would. Also mine are the black oak (vinyl) stock finish. There is generally less selection in the Outlet for real wood if that's really what you want. Also you wouldn't be able to choose the species of wood or glossiness of the finish.

According to Ian there is no difference in sound quality between the cast or stamped speaker baskets.

By the way, I think that Axiom needs to fix the specifications on the M100s. They should go at least 2-3 Hz lower than the M80's. Even my LFR's do and they still have the original M80 woofers (just 3 instead of 2 and a bigger cabinet). Would that make a difference in your decision?

Boomzilla #397402 09/27/13 05:00 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Welcome Boomzilla,

Re your question about the bass difference between M80s and M100s or LFR1100s, it is really more about the M100s and LFR1100s being more linear in the entire bass region below 100Hz than it is about a few HZ at the very bottom. There is also the fact that the M100s and LFR1100s with the power pack option that is now available are capable of much greater overall SPL output in the bass before any compression occurs.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Ian #397405 09/27/13 05:12 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By: Ian
Welcome Boomzilla,

Re your question about the bass difference between M80s and M100s or LFR1100s, it is really more about the M100s and LFR1100s being more linear in the entire bass region below 100Hz than it is about a few HZ at the very bottom. There is also the fact that the M100s and LFR1100s with the power pack option that is now available are capable of much greater overall SPL output in the bass before any compression occurs.

Considering that Boomzilla stated that he doesn't typically listen at high volume, it seems like the M80s would serve him well then.

Ian, does this mean that you're finished tweaking the DSP program for the LFR's with the new woofer?

Cohesion #397408 09/27/13 05:47 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi cohesion,

I am indeed finished with the new code as of yesterday. It took a lot longer than I originally anticipated but Andrew and I got playing around with some fine detail at the end.

The increased linearity would be a benefit with the M100s and LFR1100s with the power pack at any volume level but the higher SPL capabilities in the bass would not come into play until you started cranking it up.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082