Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gravity
#397664 10/07/13 12:20 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Yes, there is movie thread somewhere but I'm thinking this film deserves its own thread and it deserves to be in the "Home Theater" section or at least it soon will, some day.

Sharon and I went to see it over the weekend. It was actually pretty exiting, (not two hours of floating around space and sappy character break down, as I was concerned it might be.) However, the reason I bring it here is because it will absolutely be the new 'standard' for demoing your HT when it comes out in Blu-Ray

I hate cliches, but saying that "the visuals are absolutely stunning," is truly the best way to describe it. I was in a 'normal' theater and within the first minute of the opening scene, I had to remind myself I wasn't in an IMAX. The sound was 'probably' equally amazing, but honestly, other than a few surround sound moments, the visuals stole the show so I'd probably have to watch it again to concentrate on the sound and offer a review on that.

There were a small number of cool 3-D scenes but it was obvious that they put a lot of work into making sure the 3-D blurries did not detract from things when they wanted to concentrate on a wide angle, spectacle shot.

I won't spend a lot of time trying to describe it further. Perhaps the best testament to how visually amazing this movie is, would be the fact that there were times when the entire theater stopped crunching thier popcorn and just stared. Complete crowd silence!! That never happens around here. Well, all except that one fat guy in my row who looked like Comic Book Guy from Simpsons, but he really stood out as a an annoying distraction because he was the only one. In a way though, he made me realize that the rest of the theater was either too "jaw dropped" or fascinated to lift a finger.

In short, just go see it. If nothing else, the scenery is worth the price of admission. If you wait for home TV viewing, you will regret not seeing it, just once, on a theater sized screen.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Gravity
Murph #397665 10/07/13 12:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The buzz I'd heard on this was good. Thanks for confirming it! I may have to drag myself to the theater after all!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Murph #397666 10/07/13 01:32 PM
veteran
veteran
I saw it on 3D IMAX. Pretty much jaw dropping. I don't like 3D but if you will only ever see one 3D movie it's this one. I loved it.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.
Murph #397667 10/07/13 01:58 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Lots of buzz around town last month when the film had its premier at TIFF. Apparently, it was kind of a different film for Sandra Bullock than what she has done in the past, however, I understand she was quite good in it. She indicated in several interviews she is quite claustrophobic and had to keep fighting to overcome it.

Murph #397668 10/07/13 08:19 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
I remember walking out of Saving Pvt. Ryan and the theater was absolutely silent. You could have heard a pin drop. BTW, Got a chance to visit Normandy and the national cemetery where the Niland brothers were buried. Quite moving!

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Murph #397669 10/07/13 08:54 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I'm going to see Gravity this coming weekend, but I doubt I'll be able to convince anyone to travel 2.5 hours to see it in IMAX 3D with me. I think I'll just opt for 2D. I still don't know anything about it other than what I saw in the trailer, so don't give anything away!

Murph #397705 10/08/13 09:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Took my team in Baltimore to Fogo de Chao today for lunch.

Now I am getting ready to go see Gravity at a Cinemark XD theater. Sometimes travel for work has its perks.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Murph #397708 10/09/13 03:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow. What a cool theater and a good movie. I went to the Cinemark Egyptian 24 and XD south of Baltimore. I felt like I was going to a movie in the middle of Universal Studios right next to the Mummy roller coaster. AWESOME theming.

Anyway, I saw Gravity in 3D on their huge XD screen. The sound was super impressive, as mentioned before. Deafeningly silent at times, and fit the way things should be. Visuals were top notch, although I did notice a good amount of film grain later in the movie (don't want to say when as it could spoil it for others). Not bad grain, but I noticed it because the rest was so "grain free."

I will admit that I am one of those people that can nit-pick about things with a movie..

SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READY ANY MORE UNLESS YOU WANT THIS MOVIE SOMEWHAT SPOILED FOR YOU - REALLY, DON'T READ ANY MORE UNTIL AFTER YOU SAW THE MOVIE - YOU WILL REGRET IT
SPOILER ALERT - I WARNED YOU - TURN AWAY NOW
OK, so you are out in space, working on fixing the Hubble. You tell me that you are low on oxygen while working? But nobody else is? Really? That is nit-pick #1. #2 - All sorts of bad crap is happening, and you are pretty much out of oxygen, what does the commander do? Keeps asking you questions so that you a) talk and use more oxygen that you don't have, and b) pause for extended periods of time to contemplate your answer and respond. Get you damn butt inside moron before you pass out of oxygen deprivation! #3 - I call foul on leaving the commander to float away. We saw time and time again where when he was tethered to the doctor, there was a distinct "I pull on you until the slack is gone, and then you're lack of motion pulls me back" EXCEPT when he is pulling away from the entire ISS. He is somehow still pulling on the whole thing even though all slack has been taken up. At that point, the ISS is already moving in a different trajectory because the doctor and then the commander both "pulled" on it. There is no force still pulling him away. There was NO reason for him to detach unless he was being pulled into the Death Star's tractor beam, or somehow was Superman and can start and stop moving while in space, in which case he could have stopped everything, or worse case just flew himself back to earth.

Those are the 3 biggies for me, but again, I enjoyed the movie very much.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Murph #397713 10/09/13 01:41 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I agree Nick. I had pause with that bit of basic physics as well. There are always technical flaws in every movie. I got by that one and Sandra's perfect hair in zero G because, in whole, it was so good and thus forgivable.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #397714 10/09/13 02:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Nick

I enjoyed the movie very much.

Originally Posted By: Murphster

I agree Nick. I had pause with that bit of basic physics as well. There are always technical flaws in every movie. I got by that one and Sandra's perfect hair in zero G because, in whole, it was so good and thus forgivable.

It was a really good "on the edge of your seat" movie for a good 75 minutes with just the first 10 being calm working in space, and the last 5 being of a similar pace (don't want to give anything away).

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020