Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: PS3, PS4 or Oppo
spiffnme #398657 11/19/13 03:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, I ended up playing around with the PS4 today.

Setting everything up was a breeze. What I was impressed with immediately was the noise floor of the console. It runs very quiet. That makes me really happy.

The user interface and navigation is kind of blah. Simple but works fine. It makes me want to try out the Xbox one and the Kinect. IMO I think the Kinect will end up being an integral part of the next gen experience.

In Killzone you hear audio logs through the speaker on the controller. It's neat but at the same time it detracts from the experience because the audio sounds so strained. Worse than a telephone. I ended up turning down the volume that Sony had set on it. I think audiophiles would agree they would rather have that sound come out of their home stereo. The controller only took a few hours to charge in standby. The controller emits all sorts of bright colours. Orange when it is charging, blue in tutorials, green when you are playing the game and red when you die.

The touch pad is an amazing edition (in Killzone it essentially acts as a swipe d-pad) but I am finding I have to look down at the controller when I use it. Doesn't feel natural yet.

I'm kind of mixed, there is some amazing technology going on but it is also diminishing returns to what we are currently getting on the xbox 360 and PS3. I'd like to try the eye but I probably won't buy it because the majority of the user base won't have one.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398659 11/19/13 07:00 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Thanks for the feedback. I still think I'll end up getting the most out of a PC running Steam, but I do hope the Kinect 2 gets PC support sooner rather than later. I'm still not sure what about the PS4 will entice me to purchase it, other than some exclusive games down the line.

spiffnme #398664 11/19/13 02:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I won't be buying the new PS4 or XBox One. Heck, we bought a XBox 360 a couple of years ago when the Kinect came out, but it has sat idle (like our Wii) for MONTHS. Yet, I game on my PC multiple times a week. My opinions of the launches are:

1) PS4 - No day-one games to write home about. Be honest, you know it is true.
2) PS4 - People that came from the PS3 like the new controller, even if the touchpad is awkward to get used to.
3) Xbox One - Better launch day games
4) Xbox One - More integrated as a whole entertainment system
5) Both - Missing key "promised" or "hoped for" features at release.
6) Both - Need a launch day update.
7) Both - Fanboy systems for at least a month if not two until they start getting more titles out and start offering those additional features.

Almost anything around blu-ray playback such as 3D, etc has been somewhat speculative as to what they have out of the box vs. future.

And sure, you can bicker about the $100 price difference, but I think that you are getting more for the money with the XBox One. Is the "more" that you get worth $100? I don't know, but you do get more than a gaming system that happens to play blu-rays (it might become a great blu-ray player like the PS3 was, but isn't there yet compared to many standalone players).

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #398670 11/19/13 04:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I won't be buying the new PS4 or XBox One. Heck, we bought a XBox 360 a couple of years ago when the Kinect came out, but it has sat idle (like our Wii) for MONTHS. Yet, I game on my PC multiple times a week. My opinions of the launches are:

1) PS4 - No day-one games to write home about. Be honest, you know it is true.
2) PS4 - People that came from the PS3 like the new controller, even if the touchpad is awkward to get used to.
3) Xbox One - Better launch day games
4) Xbox One - More integrated as a whole entertainment system
5) Both - Missing key "promised" or "hoped for" features at release.
6) Both - Need a launch day update.
7) Both - Fanboy systems for at least a month if not two until they start getting more titles out and start offering those additional features.

Almost anything around blu-ray playback such as 3D, etc has been somewhat speculative as to what they have out of the box vs. future.

And sure, you can bicker about the $100 price difference, but I think that you are getting more for the money with the XBox One. Is the "more" that you get worth $100? I don't know, but you do get more than a gaming system that happens to play blu-rays (it might become a great blu-ray player like the PS3 was, but isn't there yet compared to many standalone players).

What promised features are missing? On the xbox one all I can think of is 3D support which can come along in a firmware update later (same thing with the PS4). The PS4 there is a lack of streaming, cd playback, 3d support. At least two of those can get fixed with a firmware update.

I think it is quite amazing the value you get with either system regardless at launch. I think the xbox one will offer greater value because of the technology, advancements and integration that the Kinect 2 will offer. Can you build a gaming PC for $399+tax that of the caliber of the PS4?

It's remarkable how cheap we can get technology these days. IMO both the PS4 and Xbox One are a bargain.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398675 11/19/13 07:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Consoles are cheaper than gaming PCs hardware wise but you will find better deals on PC games (definitely if you can wait a couple months).

Plus you can do a lot more things on a PC than a console.

Then there is the whole upgradable thing... a year from now PC's will begin to distance themselves once again from these new consoles hardware wise.

That said I think a lot of it is just personal preference. I own two 360's yet I've probably only played about 8 hours total of video games on them and probably not for at least 2 years now. I just use them as MCE extenders for my HTPC. The reason I don't play games on them is I just can't enjoy video games with controllers. I must have a keyboard and mouse.

INANE #398679 11/19/13 09:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: INANE
Consoles are cheaper than gaming PCs hardware wise but you will find better deals on PC games (definitely if you can wait a couple months).

Then there is the whole upgradable thing... a year from now PC's will begin to distance themselves once again from these new consoles hardware wise.

That said I think a lot of it is just personal preference. I own two 360's yet I've probably only played about 8 hours total of video games on them and probably not for at least 2 years now. I just use them as MCE extenders for my HTPC. The reason I don't play games on them is I just can't enjoy video games with controllers. I must have a keyboard and mouse.

Yay for keyboard and mouse! I am pretty darn good with that combo. Never took to using my thumbs for much besides racing games. FPS games I totally suck at with thumbs, but my gaming mouse and decent keyboard work great.

I talked to a manager today who works at a GameStop. He said that they get consoles for the staff to use prior to launch dates and they get paid time to use the systems and play the games. From a gaming perspective, he was disappointed with the PS4. He said what I've heard elsewhere "when the best thing to talk about is the controller, and even that is flawed with the goofy touchpad that requires letting go of the controller for the most part to use, then you don't have a good system." He said that he is more hopeful about the XBox One that they get to start using tomorrow.

Doesn't help with the video playback question originally asked, but the web is full of "My PS3 is WAY better for blu-ray" and so forth.

For those that still wonder, read this garbage article from Electronic House.
6 Reasons to Buy the PS4 Even If You Don’t Care About Gaming

Check out the comments below it. Lots of hate and disappointment.

Again, here the top things are "apps". Yay, I have a $35 blu-ray player with those apps and more.
#2 is a specific app (hey, isn't that technically the same thing as the first one?) This app is like a lot of video on-demand services, and it isn't like it is free.
#3 it has a blu-ray player? What the hell? This is a big deal how? It isn't like this is something cutting edge.
#4 Support for DTS 7.1 - OK. Nice for a gaming system, but again, combined with everything else, this is not a big deal when you can do everything listed above for less.
#5 Support for 1080p? Is this lady writing this on drugs? So much other stuff doesn't 1080p for less. Heck, you can build a HTPC for a few hundred bucks that does more than this for the same price as the PS4 running on an old 2-core CPU.
#6 it is $100 cheaper than the XBox One? Is she getting some kick-back from Sony? You'd think so. The XBox One technically has more advanced hardware when adding the Kinect 2 (which looks damn cool in what it can do vs. the somewhat gimmicky original Kinect).

I just don't get it. Then again, I am not dropping any coin on either system. It isn't that I am anti-console. I currently own 3. XBox 360, Wii, and an old Sega Dreamcast with a boatload of accessories and games. Not sure what I am dong with that still though. I have also owned a Nintendo 64, original NES, Sega Genesis, and then jumped way back to an original Atari 2600 and even the original Sear's branded PONG with wired paddle controllers.

I just don't see the current hype about them. I think that the XBox One will do better out of the box on Day One, and has more to offer (at a price of $100), but when people online make such stretches to find use and value in a $400 gaming system, it is hard for the logic in me to get too excited about it.

I certainly am not anti-PS4 or anti-XBox One, and if you own or pre-ordered one, or whatever, cool. I honestly hope that you are happy with your purchase. I have no right to tell you how to spend your time or money. Good luck to all of you. I will just keep on doing hard core gaming on my machine that also does blu-ray playback (at 1080p, with DTS 7.1 decoding, with any app I want), and can do business apps like the whole Office suite, video and photo editing with the Adobe Master Collection of software, master DVDs and blu-rays, stream to other machine in the house, or from other machines like my media server, surf the internet, voice chat with friends, send email, watch TV, interface with pretty much any USB connectable device, download massive demo discs from the web, load with whatever O/S I want with whatever interface I want, so on and so forth. Sure, it cost more, but for the price, it does a heck of a lot and gets used for all of it too.

OK. I'm done ranting about this stuff. I will get off of my soap box, toss it into a burn barrel, throw in some gas, light 'er up, and walk away. If you've made it this far, then I must have said something that struck with you (good or bad).

Peace...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #398682 11/20/13 03:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Originally Posted By: INANE

Yay for keyboard and mouse! I am pretty darn good with that combo. Never took to using my thumbs for much besides racing games. FPS games I totally suck at with thumbs, but my gaming mouse and decent keyboard work great.

I talked to a manager today who works at a GameStop. He said that they get consoles for the staff to use prior to launch dates and they get paid time to use the systems and play the games. From a gaming perspective, he was disappointed with the PS4. He said what I've heard elsewhere "when the best thing to talk about is the controller, and even that is flawed with the goofy touchpad that requires letting go of the controller for the most part to use, then you don't have a good system." He said that he is more hopeful about the XBox One that they get to start using tomorrow.

Doesn't help with the video playback question originally asked, but the web is full of "My PS3 is WAY better for blu-ray" and so forth.

For those that still wonder, read this garbage article from Electronic House.
6 Reasons to Buy the PS4 Even If You Don’t Care About Gaming

Check out the comments below it. Lots of hate and disappointment.

Again, here the top things are "apps". Yay, I have a $35 blu-ray player with those apps and more.
#2 is a specific app (hey, isn't that technically the same thing as the first one?) This app is like a lot of video on-demand services, and it isn't like it is free.
#3 it has a blu-ray player? What the hell? This is a big deal how? It isn't like this is something cutting edge.
#4 Support for DTS 7.1 - OK. Nice for a gaming system, but again, combined with everything else, this is not a big deal when you can do everything listed above for less.
#5 Support for 1080p? Is this lady writing this on drugs? So much other stuff doesn't 1080p for less. Heck, you can build a HTPC for a few hundred bucks that does more than this for the same price as the PS4 running on an old 2-core CPU.
#6 it is $100 cheaper than the XBox One? Is she getting some kick-back from Sony? You'd think so. The XBox One technically has more advanced hardware when adding the Kinect 2 (which looks damn cool in what it can do vs. the somewhat gimmicky original Kinect).

I just don't get it. Then again, I am not dropping any coin on either system. It isn't that I am anti-console. I currently own 3. XBox 360, Wii, and an old Sega Dreamcast with a boatload of accessories and games. Not sure what I am dong with that still though. I have also owned a Nintendo 64, original NES, Sega Genesis, and then jumped way back to an original Atari 2600 and even the original Sear's branded PONG with wired paddle controllers.

I just don't see the current hype about them. I think that the XBox One will do better out of the box on Day One, and has more to offer (at a price of $100), but when people online make such stretches to find use and value in a $400 gaming system, it is hard for the logic in me to get too excited about it.

I certainly am not anti-PS4 or anti-XBox One, and if you own or pre-ordered one, or whatever, cool. I honestly hope that you are happy with your purchase. I have no right to tell you how to spend your time or money. Good luck to all of you. I will just keep on doing hard core gaming on my machine that also does blu-ray playback (at 1080p, with DTS 7.1 decoding, with any app I want), and can do business apps like the whole Office suite, video and photo editing with the Adobe Master Collection of software, master DVDs and blu-rays, stream to other machine in the house, or from other machines like my media server, surf the internet, voice chat with friends, send email, watch TV, interface with pretty much any USB connectable device, download massive demo discs from the web, load with whatever O/S I want with whatever interface I want, so on and so forth. Sure, it cost more, but for the price, it does a heck of a lot and gets used for all of it too.

OK. I'm done ranting about this stuff. I will get off of my soap box, toss it into a burn barrel, throw in some gas, light 'er up, and walk away. If you've made it this far, then I must have said something that struck with you (good or bad).

Peace...

The Xbox one can multi-task everything media related that a PC can do along with controlling your cable/satellite box all via a controller, speech or gesture.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398684 11/20/13 03:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So far I'm really digging the ps4. The console is super quite and appears to work great for blurays. As far as gaming goes I'm pretty impressed with need for speed and resogun . I haven't played killzone yet but it is sitting on my coffee table waiting for me to find some free time. I also have battlefield 4 but haven't opened it because I may swap it for xbox one to play with friends. I like the controller much better than ps3, but still prefer xbox controller. The share and option buttons are recessed somewhat and hard to feel for when clicking. I originally thought the thumb sticks sit up a little high but am used to it now.

Overall I really like the system, feel like it was worth the price, and am looking forward to future games

FYI:
Xbox one console reviews are out at 11 central tonight.

-David
terzaghi #398690 11/20/13 06:44 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Very nice. I'm glad the operating noise is negligible.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Xbox One.

BlueJays1 #398691 11/20/13 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
What promised features are missing? On the xbox one all I can think of is 3D support which can come along in a firmware update later (same thing with the PS4). The PS4 there is a lack of streaming, cd playback, 3d support. At least two of those can get fixed with a firmware update.

I think you're mixed up on the streaming. The PS4 has Twitch TV streaming with the 1.50 update (and it's actually really neat, I've been watching Gabe from Penny Arcade play in the evenings), where as the XBO isn't getting streaming until 2014. It'll have 5 minute recording that you can upload later, but no live video. Ironically, it does have a Twitch TV app, so you can watch PS4 streams. smile

So far the only game I really want to play on a next-gen system is Dragon Age: Inquisition, and that doesn't come out until Fall of 2014. So I'll be holding off until then.

As for gaming on a PC, I like the mouse look, but the keyboard isn't a good input device for movement. Plus, I have so much trouble with games working right. I have an awesome workstation PC, that's great for all the production work I do (editing photos, rendering video, composing music, writing code), but every time I try to game I run into trouble. Recently I wanted to play the demo of The Stanley Parable. It'd seem like it would lock up every minute or so, but alt-tabbing out, and back in would allow it to resume. I never have trouble like that on consoles. I'm sure it's because of some hardware I have (likely the audio interface), but that's not an issue on a fixed platform.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457