C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted By: CV
Jesca Hoop's The Complete Kismet Acoustic sounds really good.

Here's the first track: "Silverscreen"

Re: Stunning Recordings
Mojo #397236 09/22/13 03:02 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Dark Side of the Moon's best is the 5.1 SACD.
Still very good and close behind, is the original Quadraphonic version.
playing these, you'll easily hear all kinds of things
you could not hear before on the Cd's.

the original Cd's in stereo lack a lot of resolution
compared to the 2 above; dynamic range seems more restricted
and so many different instruments all jammed up in the front
stage makes for fuzziness in the reproduction.
compared to the CD's, the surround versions seem to have a much better sound stage and acoustic ambiance.

i love the SACD, and for those who can't play them,
the disc's stereo version (hybrid disc) is also supposed to have been remastered from the original half inch tapes and one benefit is that the details and resolution are better than on former cd releases.

Last edited by J. B.; 09/22/13 03:03 PM.
Mojo #399119 12/05/13 02:26 AM
Sir Edward Elgar's majestic and beautiful 2nd Symphony has continued to grow on me to the point where it now is one of my favorites. An excellent disc couples the symphony with my other Elgar favorite, the overture In the South, inspired by a winter vacation he took with his family in the south of Italy.

Available for about $3 up from Import CDs and other sellers at Amazon .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Mojo #399139 12/06/13 07:02 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
That's nice... Temporarily sold out at Amazon though.

A buddy suggested I get Album for the Young,
P.I. Tchaikovsky

Might you have it? Or an opinion?

michael_d #399150 12/07/13 04:33 AM
Mike, I didn't suggest buying from Amazon in-house(which is much higher priced, as well as being unavailable), but rather from the several third-party sellers there who have it at bargain prices. I note that Import CDs raised the price over a dollar over the past day; possibly they got quite a few orders. It looks like i-Deals(which I've also dealt with)now has the best offer.

As to the Album for the Young disc, Tchaikovsky composed 24 brief(average about a minute)pieces for young pianists. The twist on the disc that probably is the one suggested to you is that after the 24 are played by a pianist, they're repeated in arrangements made for string quartet. These brief items aren't really to my taste, although the string arrangements add a bit more interest. I did find samples(not available on Amazon) here on CD Connection, so you can take a listen to see if you're more impressed.

Mojo #399153 12/07/13 06:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Anyone listen to this http://www.2l.no/pages/album/090.html yet?
I'm considering making it my first multi-channel audio purchase.
Its mentioned on AVS here

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503385/stereo-vs-surround-with-steve-guttenberg#post_24036082

JohnK #399177 12/10/13 03:14 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Mike, I didn't suggest buying from Amazon in-house(which is much higher priced, as well as being unavailable), but rather from the several third-party sellers there who have it at bargain prices. I note that Import CDs raised the price over a dollar over the past day; possibly they got quite a few orders. It looks like i-Deals(which I've also dealt with)now has the best offer.

As to the Album for the Young disc, Tchaikovsky composed 24 brief(average about a minute)pieces for young pianists. The twist on the disc that probably is the one suggested to you is that after the 24 are played by a pianist, they're repeated in arrangements made for string quartet. These brief items aren't really to my taste, although the string arrangements add a bit more interest. I did find samples(not available on Amazon) here on CD Connection, so you can take a listen to see if you're more impressed.

Thanks John.. My default is Amazon, as they ship free. Good to know about the Tchaicovsky disk. I'll pass on it.

Mojo #402041 03/20/14 01:51 AM
Holst's massive composition "The Planets" is well known for its musical excitement and beauty and its purely sonic values have made it a popular candidate for demonstration discs. Everyone should have at least one performance(I have seven)in their collection, but should be aware that the composer wasn't an example of a "one-hit wonder".

An excellent 2-disc collection which includes of course a performance of The Planets conducted by Sir Adrian Boult(who led its first performance, and who Holst commented "First made The Planets shine")also includes a fine overview of his other works. Besides The Planets I especially enjoy The Perfect Fool and The Song of The Blacksmith from the Suite for Military Band. This set is available for about $7 up from several Amazon sellers .

Mojo #405007 06/04/14 02:54 AM
It's fashionable for critics reviewing the first three symphonies of Tchaikovsky to comment that he wasn't yet fully "mature" in his command of the symphonic form. Whether this is the case or not, there's much beautiful and thrilling music to be found in them and each would be probably be acclaimed as the masterpiece of a lesser composer. I especially enjoy the first("Winter Dreams")along with the second("Little Russian")and third("Polish").

All three are available in a 2-disc set featuring the classic performances led by Markevitch with the London Symphony. As an attractive bonus Tchaikovsky's symphonic poem Francesca da Rimini is also included. Here he puts to music the story from Dante's Inferno of Francesca and her adulterous affair which results in her husband killing them both and they(not the husband, of course)being condemned to the eternal fires and winds of the Second Circle of Hell. The music varies dramatically between portraying their romantic passions and suffering in the storms of Hell.

The set is available from about $10 from various Amazon sellers .

JohnK #406461 08/06/14 04:23 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Sorry, temporary thread hi-jack
Who do you use for purchasing music on line. I'm primarily interested in Classical on CD/SACD, not looking to expand my vinyl collection.
Anyone have any experience with ArkivMusic.com. It seems they have access to a large selection, but maybe a little pricey.
thanks,
Jeff

Page 57 of 58 1 2 55 56 57 58

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082