Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Are optional finishes worth it?
#399629 12/30/13 08:35 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The Axioms are available with the widest variety of finishes I've ever seen. Those options seem to come at a VERY steep price, though. With only a few changes, it's easy to up the base price of an Axiom speaker pair by 50%, 100%, or even more.

Therefore, as a potential customer, I must ask: Which of the options improve performance, and which are cosmetic?

Obviously, any change in finish is cosmetic only. A real wood veneer or a piano finish don't change the sound significantly, nor does a grille of a different color. The options I see that may (or may not) be worth paying for include:

High power woofers?
Cast woofer baskets?
Bi-wire terminals?
Outrigger feet?
Spikes if you have carpets?

Of the above, which are worth paying for and why? Which are a waste of money and why?

Obviously, Axiom considers the cast woofer baskets & bi-wire terminals to be non-functional (the web page terms them "audiophile jewelry"). I can see where the woofer baskets might not be audible, but on SOME speakers, I've found that I can hear bi-wiring.

If one doesn't play loudly (or if a subwoofer is used with the system), it would seem that the high-power woofers would also not matter much.

But I'm speculating - for those of you who HAVE the options listed, do YOU think they're worth the money?

My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it!
Re: Are optional finishes worth it?
Boomzilla #399639 12/31/13 03:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Only the customer can decide if a custom finish is worth it/economical or not. Imo, the best deal on a custom finish would be on a real wood finish, but not going to the high gloss finishes. These types of finishes are labour intensive, 11-12 clear coats with sanding in between...hence the cost.

If you're going to listen at high levels, the cast baskets/high power woofers might be the way to go. I believe if you're using a sub, you may not need to though.

Bi-wiring only works if the signal is separated to the various drivers as in an active crossover network, it's a falacy where passive crossovers are concernerned unless the signal is somehow split and the terminals are not running/connected to the same crossover.

Out rigger feet would be a consideration on anything from an M80 upwards, especially if you have curious kids or pets around.

I don't like spikes...hardwood floors under the carpet!!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Boomzilla #399706 01/03/14 10:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Pretty much what Adrian said.

I do use spikes but i don't have hardwoods under my Axioms (carpet then pad then concrete). It helps to level the speakers on the carpet.

That being said, our main floor has hardwood and the Tannoys don't have rubber feet so i cut shapes of spare carpet to slip underneath the speakers, which quite ironically are also used to balance them on the floor.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Boomzilla #399719 01/04/14 02:36 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Boomzilla
The Axioms are available with the widest variety of finishes I've ever seen. Those options seem to come at a VERY steep price, though. With only a few changes, it's easy to up the base price of an Axiom speaker pair by 50%, 100%, or even more.

Therefore, as a potential customer, I must ask: Which of the options improve performance, and which are cosmetic?

Obviously, any change in finish is cosmetic only. A real wood veneer or a piano finish don't change the sound significantly, nor does a grille of a different color. The options I see that may (or may not) be worth paying for include:

High power woofers?
Cast woofer baskets?
Bi-wire terminals?
Outrigger feet?
Spikes if you have carpets?

Of the above, which are worth paying for and why? Which are a waste of money and why?

Obviously, Axiom considers the cast woofer baskets & bi-wire terminals to be non-functional (the web page terms them "audiophile jewelry"). I can see where the woofer baskets might not be audible, but on SOME speakers, I've found that I can hear bi-wiring.

If one doesn't play loudly (or if a subwoofer is used with the system), it would seem that the high-power woofers would also not matter much.

But I'm speculating - for those of you who HAVE the options listed, do YOU think they're worth the money?

I believe it is important to remember that with Axiom, you, fortunately, have options. Many so-called "high end" speaker companies charge a hefty premium for their products because much of that premium goes in to the aesthetics, i.e fancier cabinetry and finishes that the customer has no alternative but to pay for. With this in mind, all too often, buyers incorrectly make the assumption because it costs more and looks better than it must sound better.

Axiom provides the unprecedented number of superior aesthetic choices of finish for the customer, if they want them, while, at the same time, always making it clear that in no way are you sacrificing any sound quality because you have chosen to not spend the extra money on upgrades and stick with the basic finish.

Ultimately, contrary to the above example I mentioned, Axiom provides the option that no matter the model you choose to buy, you won't have to pay for fancier cabinetry if you don't want it.

Last edited by casey01; 01/04/14 02:51 AM.
Boomzilla #399722 01/04/14 10:50 AM
C
old hand
old hand
C
The cost can be quite a bit higher for the custom finishes, no doubt. But if you're one that can't stand the look of the stock finishes it can be worth it. Me personally, for my home theater portion of the house I am aesthetically sensitive and like to admire the furniture and finishes. My next upgrade in either the M100s or LFR1100s will be a high gloss wood option. My current M60s are in a custom wood finish semi-gloss and I'm very happy with them, but didn't go with the high-gloss upgrade due to cost.

This time I got a wood sample of the same finish and stain but in high gloss and it's amazing, so I figure I might as well. Though the outriggers may be needed for the larger towers, those are an option I can't get my head around the cost ($240) - for 2 small metal feet. A self made option may be used for those.

Last edited by Crimson Wrath; 01/04/14 10:51 AM.

M60|VP150|2xQS8|PSA XS30+Epik Empire|Pioneer Kuro 6010FD|PS3|Denon AVR-X4000|Parasound 5250v.2|
Boomzilla #399784 01/06/14 05:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You are the best judge on whether or not the extra for optional finishes is worth it. I went with optional (not custom) to closely match existing furniture.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044