Is it time to retire my Oppo?
#399644 12/31/13 02:18 PM
M
mreed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
I need some help with this decision. I'm long winded so bear with me. A couple years ago my wife bought me a Samsung BD C-6500 for Christmas. I installed it alongside my Oppo 980H. We own some Blu Rays but mostly rent them from Netflix. I am astounded by the audio quality of the Blu Rays. I have a lot of concert DVD's. I tend to play them on my Oppo because I "think" it does a better job of upscaling the video and I "think" it does a better job of processing the audio. I have played these DVD's in the Samsung and I "think" there is a difference. In a blind test I doubt I would know which machine was being used. I am buying a Roku and tweaking my system, having two players sometimes causes confusion for the wife and kids, happened again yesterday. So, your well respected opinions please, would you retire the Oppo?

Re: Is it time to retire my Oppo?
mreed #399647 12/31/13 06:58 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: mreed
I need some help with this decision. I'm long winded so bear with me. A couple years ago my wife bought me a Samsung BD C-6500 for Christmas. I installed it alongside my Oppo 980H. We own some Blu Rays but mostly rent them from Netflix. I am astounded by the audio quality of the Blu Rays. I have a lot of concert DVD's. I tend to play them on my Oppo because I "think" it does a better job of upscaling the video and I "think" it does a better job of processing the audio. I have played these DVD's in the Samsung and I "think" there is a difference. In a blind test I doubt I would know which machine was being used. I am buying a Roku and tweaking my system, having two players sometimes causes confusion for the wife and kids, happened again yesterday. So, your well respected opinions please, would you retire the Oppo?

Well, I guess I am pretty biased, however, I am now on my FOURTH Oppo player which started out with your current 980H. Realistically, you no longer need it since assuming your connections are via HDMI, the Samsung will do everything you require, however, if it was me and you really wanted the best to maximize your video AND audio performance, and since the Samsung is a couple of years old, I would get rid of the Samsung, buy the Oppo 103 or 103D(Darbee video enhancer)which as you know from Oppo's after market service and regular firmware updates, has a longer shelf life than most other mainstream players, better built and more up-to-date streaming, connectivity and download features.

I own the Oppo BDP105, however, whether it be the 103, 103D or 105, now these are players.

Last edited by casey01; 12/31/13 07:01 PM.
casey01 #399655 01/01/14 01:22 PM
M
mreed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
That sounds like good advice. The Samsung was a Christmas gift so I will have to wait until it breaks to replace it...maybe it will break soon.

mreed #399664 01/01/14 06:27 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: mreed
That sounds like good advice. The Samsung was a Christmas gift so I will have to wait until it breaks to replace it...maybe it will break soon.

OR, another convenient solution which is probably the best of both worlds is to buy the Oppo and move the Samsung in to the bedroom or another room where you might have a television. In my case, just prior to purchasing Oppo's first BR player(BDP83), I had a Panasonic that I eventually moved to another room where it is still functioning today.

It is interesting to note that since I started my "Oppo odyssey", in every case, when I wanted to update to the latest model I was able to sell the previous model and get a pretty fair price for it. Since they have a longer "shelf life" in terms of updates and superior after market service, I found like many others that Oppo's BR units, in particular, have considerably better resale value than the usual mainstream players.

mreed #399674 01/02/14 12:50 PM
M
mreed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Well I removed the oppo and installed the Roku in it's place (which did not work by the way and has to go back today). The Oppo is going to replace a Pioneer in the game room for the occasional playing of a CD. I'll probably never actually use it since I have an ipod there with all my cd's on it anyway but at least it isn't in the garage. Every TV in the house already has a Blu Ray.

mreed #399704 01/03/14 09:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I own the latest 2 OPPO players. I prefer them because, so far, I haven't had any problem with the drive mechanisms. Every other one, I've retired early because of drive mechanism, or some other problems.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044