Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22
Re: Axiom Amplifiers: The Next Generation
Ian #399853 01/09/14 10:00 PM
old hand
old hand
I never thought I would write a post like this, but hey... there is a first for everything :-). Maybe because I always thought Axiom should focus on speakers?
I read the review as well; I'm just not sure how they award products. There is a better, cheaper, more powerful A/B class 5 channel amp that beats the ADA in every category... except power consumption maybe.
I'm not saying the amps are no good.... far from it, but "Exceptional Value" award?

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp
Ian #399854 01/09/14 10:38 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
This isn't a class A/B amp, and "better" is subjective.

"Congratulations" might have been another way to go.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
AdrianD #399859 01/10/14 01:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: AdrianD
I never thought I would write a post like this, but hey... there is a first for everything :-). Maybe because I always thought Axiom should focus on speakers?
I read the review as well; I'm just not sure how they award products. There is a better, cheaper, more powerful A/B class 5 channel amp that beats the ADA in every category... except power consumption maybe.
I'm not saying the amps are no good.... far from it, but "Exceptional Value" award?

What amp are you referring to ??. Remember that those of us who live in Canada must pay duty and shipping when buying from the states. Also factor in return shipping < < hassle if you have to return it for any reason. The Axiom is upgradeable to more channels, doesn't require a dedicated power outlet, doesn't require a forklift to install and leaves some room for other components, it runs cool and heat is the enemy of pretty much anything man made, including man LOL. As I get older price is not my only consideration, I also take into account customer service. A similar amp from Bryston is 8 grand.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
tomtuttle #399860 01/10/14 03:39 AM
old hand
old hand
I'm sorry that I have offended you guys... not my intention; I simply think these amps are a bit overpriced for what they are, and the review doesn't seem fair.

I do love Axiom... otherwise why would I buy their products? Or be here for that matter?

That "better" is subjective I totally agree; but if we look at the "objective" stuff (specs) it doesn't get any better.

Anyway... just my thoughts.

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp
Ian #399861 01/10/14 04:43 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T

Ian #399867 01/10/14 03:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No one is offended here. Honestly I thought the same as you when I recently started looking at amps. As I said I prefer to source from a Canadian company and there isn't a lot to choose from. I tend to keep my stuff a long time, so long term the price is in line. When I was 16 (35yrs ago) I paid almost a grand for my integrated amp 65w/ch so 3g for 5 channels 250w/ch doesn't seem out of line. I have never bought anything based on a review so it has no sway for me one way or the other. I prefer owners experience's more than anything,which is why I come here.

Richard

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Ian #399900 01/10/14 09:51 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm just really happy for Ian, Andrew and the rest of the Axiom team to have their hard work recognized in this way. Salut!

Ian #399905 01/10/14 10:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As a happy long time "Axiomite"....since 1991, I have watched this company grow and I am happy to see the success.

I do find it funny that over the years this forum has looked down upon $1k, $2k, 3k products, claiming that cost does not mean performance or value. Now our lil' Axiom is offering products in those price points and we are happy with those products and costs.

Not looking to argue this, or intending to offend anyone, just and observation. YMMV

Ian #399909 01/10/14 11:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BB I myself have not been around all that long so I may have missed some of those threads. I know 4 or 5 years ago I was looking at Emotiva and having trouble scratching together money for that. But as time goes along im finding I can treat myself a little better. TBH I don't need a 5 or 7 channel amp with 200w/ch but I want one just the same grin The price may seem too high to some, acceptable to others and a real bargain to people with a higher income. I choose to drive a crappy car and have other toys I value more. What I like about the ADA's is the small footprint and more than enough power for my small room. Also I like hearing other people's input about these sorts of things , not much fun if everyone was of the same opinion. I cant speak for anyone else but I definetly am not offended by what people say about axiom , whether good or bad.

Richard

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #399933 01/11/14 07:59 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I think it is important to remember, for quite some time now both with speakers and amps, Axiom has had a pretty close relationship with Bryston(another Canadian company)and I have never heard people complain about the prices of their amps. Also remember the Emotiva stuff is ALL built in China, hence, the considerably cheaper prices. For Canadians, even though one were to import Emotiva from the US, because it is built in China and it has to be displayed like that on their paperwork, there is an automatic 6.5% duty plus brokerage fee added on top of everything else.

Myself, in the recent past, has purchased amps from Outlaw and all but one of their models is assembled in the US, so I am actually supporting an American company(built by ATI in California). Even though the Outlaw amps are comparatively more expensive than the Emotiva stuff, since the country of origin is shown as the US, all duty and depending on your carrier(hopefully not UPS)most brokerage fees are waived, which, when you add everything up, closes the gap with the Emotiva prices.

My next amp(s) will be from Axiom even if I have to wait longer to save up for one (or two). As we all know, in recent years there has been a lot of consolidation in the CE industry which often, doesn't necessarily always bode well for product quality AND after market service. I would rather have a company like Axiom, be able to survive and thrive on its own even if it means opening my wallet a little more.

Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters