Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Looking for your input on new video!
Andrew #402143 03/24/14 07:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't even comb my hair anymore

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
michael_d #402146 03/24/14 07:48 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The most straight forward way to put it from a technical point of view is the cancelation that occurs at a single point in space (like a microphone) when identical frequencies arrive at different times. Each frequency where this occurs creates another cancelation tooth in the comb that is visible in the measurement.

It can be caused by playing a pair of speakers and positioning the microphone even just inches off centre or by the reflected sound arriving at a different time from the fundamental. The fact is that we are listening to a pile of comb filtering all the time when we play our audio systems and there is lots of empirical testing that has been done to show this creates a favourable listening experience.

I would say there are three camps of opinion on comb filtering:
There is the camp that believes all comb filtering is bad. Unfortunately the only way to accomplish zero comb filtering would be to listen in mono in an anechoic chamber. Having done this myself I can attest that it is not a great listening experience.

Then there is a camp that tries to separate the comb filtering into two or three groups and rate each group separately as to its effect on the listening experience. The most benign of these groups would be the comb filtering caused by the reflected sound. Next would be the comb filtering caused by using a stereo pair of speakers (or more) and not sitting exactly in the centre. Lastly, and this camp believes this type is bad, is the comb filtering that occurs when two identical drivers (usually tweeters but that depends on the physical spacing) in one speaker are used. I have seen some highly technical explanations of this difference but none that are backed up with any empirical scientific testing.

Then there is the camp that we are a member of which embraces all forms of comb filtering as either favourable or at worst irrelevant. And we have conducted empirical scientific testing to back this up.

Last edited by Ian; 03/24/14 07:49 PM.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Andrew #402149 03/24/14 10:26 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Ian:

Thanks for the excellent explanation - good for laymen like me. While it is increasingly rare, it is nice to see that pragmatism & common sense still prevails in some circles.

From the myriad of articles that I've read elsewhere, it seems that much of this theoretical stuff gets blown way out of proportion in relation to what happens in the real world in most HTs out there. I couldn't believe how many posters had been convinced by the 'gurus' that the horizontal WTW is an absolute abomination when it clearly isn't. My amateurish, real world CC experiments proved to me that this is so...

TAM

Andrew #402157 03/25/14 12:58 PM
local
local
At the risk of completely underailing this thread, how about some discussion of how to set up speakers for multi-channel music listening? In fact what about a combination of home theater and music?

I was just looking into this and found that the Dolby recommendation for HT is to use bi/dipole speakers for surround but for music the recommendation is to use regular speakers. Then there are different recommendations from THX. That doesn't even get into stereo listening. Is there some reasonable compromise that's good for everything?

Ian #402158 03/25/14 01:07 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Thanks Ian!

I'm thinking visual aids would be helpful. Maybe you could use a white board and pointer, while wearing a long lab coat? smile

michael_d #402161 03/25/14 07:52 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi Michael,

Haha, this would be fun. We could even throw some of the related complex mathematical equations on the board to add to the mystique of it all. Kidding aside though we really should try to put together a video, or mini-series perhaps, on this topic. It really is an interesting phenomenon especially if you don’t close your mind to it based on the measurement visuals alone, but rather heed the results of the scientific empirical testing.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Andrew #403607 04/27/14 04:01 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
What video are you guys working on now?
I'd still hope to pick up a point or two relating to small,narrow and or short rooms.
That and why you might consider raising speakers or subs off the floor.

Andrew #403737 05/01/14 11:53 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Andrew, you looked a little nervous...
Great job on these. Thanks for touching on each subject.
FWIW, (it would appear) I'm doing everything wrong and I've never experienced better sound and or imaging.
Guess that should speak volumes about the product, I'm glad I stumbled upon the brand when I did.
I can't wait to start planning my next screen room.

Blair

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020