upgrading my HT system with dissimilar speakers
#400293 01/23/14 12:02 AM
D
D_Rick Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
D
So, while I’m waiting for my new M80HP speakers to arrive for my music only system, I’m looking at slowly upgrading my HT setup – currently with a Pioneer Elite VSX-32 receiver driving Definitive Tech pc60 speakers.

My M80’s will replace a couple of very old Klipsch Heresy speakers, so here’s my thought:

I put the Klipsch’s in the HT setup as the left and right fronts, purchase a refurb’d Axiom VP150 for the centre, use the existing DT centre as the rear centre, and pair up the old left & right DT fronts with the left and right DT rears (in parallel) for the left and right rears. And stay with my existing subs.

So, is this a brain dead idea or a workable interim solution? (and even more important, will this fry my receiver, with the different impedance loads)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rick

Re: upgrading my HT system with dissimilar speakers
D_Rick #400294 01/23/14 03:16 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Rick, although even surround speakers should match the mains as closely as possible, using what you now have will certainly give you a workable result. My suggestion is to use the Heresys as mains with the Def Tech center. Then the present Def Tech mains should be used as the side surrounds and the present Def Tech surrounds as the back surrounds. There's no good reason to be thinking of instead hooking up the existing Def Techs in parallel as a side surround array and no reason to use only one center back speaker.

Different impedance ratings on the speakers cause no problem; the amplifier in the VSX-32 can provide the voltage and current that each needs at a given instant.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: upgrading my HT system with dissimilar speakers
JohnK #400299 01/23/14 03:51 AM
D
D_Rick Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
D
Thanks John - good suggestion - does make more sense to go to a 7.1 setup instead as you suggest (my receiver does support it).

Then, the next step will be to purchase an axiom centre to replace the DT centre, and slowly start working around with upgrade pairs.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044