We've added 2 layers of safe and sound in the ceiling leaving a 2-3" gap between them and will have another 1"+ to the top of the T-Bar.
Two of the walls are outside walls, already insulated. I hummed and ha'd about tearing out the existing 1/2" drywall and R-8 (maybe R12) insulation but I need to draw a line somewhere. Opening up the outside walls is the right thing to do but I really want a bigger room so going to far here makes a little less sense.
That and I could easily double my budget, assuming its completed by hired labour.
I've got another day to decide. The electrician needs to come in before we hang the new drywall and I've asked the new contractor to strip and insulate the weight bearing wall tomorrow after noon while we wait.
I wish I could see inside my brain, see if anyones home...