Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: One More Time
Argon #401341 02/24/14 01:57 AM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK.....I am fully set up an running with the new receiver. I read all 194 pages over on the AVS forum. Lots of useful advice - just about everything you need to know is on the first page as the thread originator and an AVS salesman have done an excellent job of gathering the pertinent info, tips, troubleshoot guide in the first several posts. There is a link to an excellent Audyssey set up guide that was also very helpul.

I was skeptical, but I have to give a thumbs up to the Audyssey calibration. The M60-500 has come to life in a way that I had not anticipated. A shout out for the M60's - the system set them to large / full range which I think is a commendation of their design and confirmation that they can reach the lower levels. I did change the setting to Small and put a crossover at 80. I have run Audyssey twice and both times yielded Large on the 60's and both times set the QS8's at small with a cross at 150. I also bumped the 500 up as a personal preference. The GUI on the Denon makes it easy to change the Sub (and Center) volumes when switching from music to movies. So.....I am now in JohnK mode - enjoying the music instead of the equipment!

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #401342 02/24/14 02:01 AM
shareholder in the making
I will say I've run Audyssey many many times, the Qs8's set to 150 does not sound correct, I think 90Hz is where all 4 of mine came in at, but never even close to 150Hz. I agree on the rest of your observations. You did run in multiple locations around your listening arrangement? For me I use all 8 sweeps.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Argon #401343 02/24/14 02:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Argon
OK.....I am fully set up an running with the new receiver. I read all 194 pages over on the AVS forum. Lots of useful advice - just about everything you need to know is on the first page as the thread originator and an AVS salesman have done an excellent job of gathering the pertinent info, tips, troubleshoot guide in the first several posts. There is a link to an excellent Audyssey set up guide that was also very helpul.

I was skeptical, but I have to give a thumbs up to the Audyssey calibration. The M60-500 has come to life in a way that I had not anticipated. A shout out for the M60's - the system set them to large / full range which I think is a commendation of their design and confirmation that they can reach the lower levels. I did change the setting to Small and put a crossover at 80. I have run Audyssey twice and both times yielded Large on the 60's and both times set the QS8's at small with a cross at 150. I also bumped the 500 up as a personal preference. The GUI on the Denon makes it easy to change the Sub (and Center) volumes when switching from music to movies. So.....I am now in JohnK mode - enjoying the music instead of the equipment!

Some interesting stuff about audyssey here with links to Audioholics. I have run my audyssey with this arrangement and am much happier with it .

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
SirQuack #401345 02/24/14 02:49 AM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
I will say I've run Audyssey many many times, the Qs8's set to 150 does not sound correct, I think 90Hz is where all 4 of mine came in at, but never even close to 150Hz. I agree on the rest of your observations. You did run in multiple locations around your listening arrangement? For me I use all 8 sweeps.

I did use all 8 locations. The Audyssey guidelines say that you can raise a crossover value but lowering one is not a good idea.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #401346 02/24/14 02:51 AM
Rob, I'd tend to agree with Randy that the 150Hz QS8 crossover is curious if you have them installed in a typical location for bass reinforcement from the room(i.e, directly against the wall and about 5-6' up). I'd try further measurements with respect to them. Edit: are you certain that all the mid-woofers in the QS8s are actually operating?

The Audyssey measurement technique which Richard references has merit. The main factor is to have the microphone positions in a tight cluster around the central listening position, possibly as little as 3" apart.

Last edited by JohnK; 02/24/14 02:58 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #401347 02/24/14 03:13 AM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I could tighten it in a bit around the main location. I have the 8's on the Axiom stands - so I would say that they are maybe 4 feet off the ground. The stands are a bit out from the wall - so I can try pushing them back as far as they will go. I am in a bonus room, so there is a knee wall up to about 4 feet and then a 45 degree slope up to the ceiling at 8 feet. Maybe that is making a difference? The Audyssey is the XT32 version? Thoughts?

Argon #401348 02/24/14 03:21 AM
Yes, since the QS8s aren't wall mounted, that may explain why they appear to be getting less bass reinforcement from the room. Placing them as close to the wall as possible should help. Whatever the end result is though, stay with it.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #401355 02/24/14 12:31 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I will push them back to night. I looked at them when I was answering last night to see how far out from the wall they were. They are tall enough on the stands that I won't be able to move them flush due to the 45 degree slope. Close but not quite.

I tried doing the sub crawl with a modification to Alan's video. The primary seating location is on a sectional - it is way too complicated to move the seat. So, I put a big pillow on the seat and plopped the 500 on to the pillow. I put in Transformers, cranked up the volume and crawled. I didn't really get much bass at all and wondered why not? Is it because the 500 was surrounded by soft surfaces - the pillow and couch? Is it because it was sitting up about 20 inches higher than on the floor? I ended up just putting it back up front facing the seating.

Argon #401474 02/27/14 06:58 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK....I have been reading on Audyssey a bit. The modified sub crawl that I mentioned above - any thoughts on that? Placing the sub up on the couch - does that negate the sub crawl? Is there an established protocol in a situation like I describe?

Argon #401475 02/27/14 07:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, it certainly could screw you up, because you're putting the sub "in a corner" by setting it on the couch. You're artificially directing its output, so the exercise probably doesn't accurately approximate the room nodes. I don't think all the damping could "help", either.

If you could set something sturdy between the couch and the sub, that might help. Even if the sub is "too high", you'd still be measuring the bass at your head at that position (or something). You might also try orienting the sub in different directions.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020