Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Axiom bashing
#400879 02/11/14 03:29 AM
H
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
H
Ok first off I bought a pair of m80's on a whim because I needed to get "smaller speakers" my wifes words, I like to read reviews etc... check out forums and I have very seldom found a bad review of axiom speakers so I pulled the trigger. I am very very very happy with my purchase but some other forums seem to bash axiom to the point that they are comparing them to bose low end speakers lol. I have found that in 90 percent of the cases the person bashing has not tested the speakers for more than a few tracks at "some store" most likely hooked into "their crossovers" in the wall and listened to some very dirty tracks and then listend to x brand through another good crossover with a clean track and made up their mind that axiom sucks or wants to say that the layout is outrageous etc... without testing the actual speaker in their home. I let people make up their own minds and let them listen to my system very very loud because that is the way I listen to music and most can't believe that sound comes from the m80's.

Re: Axiom bashing
huskydave #400880 02/11/14 03:38 AM
H
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
H
I just wanted to say that I have caught many many many stores using bad crossovers to make their brand of speakers sound best as well as placing their brand speakers in the best places for the room etc... I always insist on setting up my speakers, amps etc and bring my own tracks in to really test their best equipment and if they take offense I leave the store.

huskydave #400881 02/11/14 04:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Axiom has been a target from time to time but the best thing to do is not engage the basher. Axiom has a 30 day return guarantee, so anyone can try them. I started with M2's in case I didn't like what I heard to save on shipping, I still have them and M80's QS4's etc. Some people like to live like sheep, I tend to be more of a wolf and go where I choose and do as I choose. Most people can recognize a basher and will disregard their rants. Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase, spread the word.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
huskydave #400882 02/11/14 04:24 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: huskydave
Ok first off I bought a pair of m80's on a whim because I needed to get "smaller speakers" my wifes words, I like to read reviews etc... check out forums and I have very seldom found a bad review of axiom speakers so I pulled the trigger. I am very very very happy with my purchase but some other forums seem to bash axiom to the point that they are comparing them to bose low end speakers lol. I have found that in 90 percent of the cases the person bashing has not tested the speakers for more than a few tracks at "some store" most likely hooked into "their crossovers" in the wall and listened to some very dirty tracks and then listend to x brand through another good crossover with a clean track and made up their mind that axiom sucks or wants to say that the layout is outrageous etc... without testing the actual speaker in their home. I let people make up their own minds and let them listen to my system very very loud because that is the way I listen to music and most can't believe that sound comes from the m80's.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you said, however, I am curious as to your comment about a "basher" testing Axioms in "some store" hooked in to their crossovers, interesting since, as we all know, Axiom sells strictly on-line and hasn't sold their products in retailers for well over a decade.

huskydave #400884 02/11/14 08:34 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Hear some tracks and then listen to x product through another excellent cross-over with a fresh monitor and created up their thoughts that adage absorbs or wants to say that the structure is unbelievable etc...

huskydave #400885 02/11/14 02:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I kept getting hung up on how the M80s were "smaller speakers" until I looked at your first post from 2012 about having some beasts with 12" woofers.

Anyway, this topic comes up from time to time and to quickly summarize:

1) People have different tastes and likes. Some perceive product X is better than product Y based off of real information, side by side (or blind) tests, and so forth, and others just base their decision off of marketing or even price... I mean pay more and it is better, right? (Like this guy I work with who has a fully loaded, $60,000 Lincoln that is in the shop ALL OF THE TIME. It is a nice ride, but his wife's Kia Optima for $34,000 just works great and has pretty much the same bells and whistles. At almost half the cost, the Kia seems like a better buy. It is a tad smaller, but gets-up-and-goes about as well.) A lot of people pay for a certain brand or model of something because it is some sort of status symbol, but in the end it might be a big lemon. They will never admit to it, and to make themselves feel better, they spend their days trolling on the internet to bash other products that they have never heard, just to make themselves feel better about their mediocre but pricey purchase.

2) Some people have bad blood with a company. No need to name names, but a lot of people here know who these people are. Of course, when that bad blood happens to be a guy who runs a fairly popular A/V web site, he spews his unjustified bias all over the place, and people think that because someone owns a web site means that they must be an expert, or knowledgeable, or heck, even honest. We have seen some bad blood with another guy who did actually own some Axiom products and it seems like his life revolves around just slamming Axiom at every twist and turn. It started with subwoofers where he compared internal bracing to someone else and since the Axiom had less, it was total crap in his mind. Completely black and white world for this guy. It seems like he only torn into Axiom products to "expose" them, but never took a long hard look at a number of competitors. Just one or two where he could make his point.

So yes, people are entitled to their opinions, and I am not saying that Axioms are the pinnacle of audio, but they are damn good, and not just "for the money," and I have learned that the biggest leap forward in performance with a "damn good" speaker is not to go to a different brand, but is to focus on the space in which that speaker is listened too. This has become huge for me lately. I have owned my Axioms for what will be 10 years this year. They sound SO much better in a treated space that I am in now than they did in my 2 previous home theaters that used the exact same speakers (minus the 2nd pair of QS8s). The room was as big of a performance boost (literally) as when I bought my Axioms and replaced my crappy, poorly made KLH speakers.

Hopefully that "summary" helps.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
huskydave #400893 02/11/14 06:07 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I kinda hoped that this wasn't brought up again as it has been relatively quiet lately.

For the past couple of years, I have reluctantly taken on the handful of bashers to provide a counter point to their ongoing questionable behavior on the net. Rest assured I get no pleasure in it.

If someone doesn't take them on, then only their point of view & opinions get published all over the net. Then, guess what comes up when someone 'searches' speakers, Axiom or whatever? At least now they get counter views as well - which is only fair.

Ongoing brand bashing just irks me. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, after a certain point, continuing the same behavior becomes akin to slander.

I just wish that it would end...

TAM

huskydave #400897 02/11/14 07:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Agreed. I've been in that same boat TAM for a few years. After that last round of bashing that I was involved in about 6 months ago and am just taking a break from the fight.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
huskydave #400946 02/12/14 06:51 PM
B
frequent flier
frequent flier
B
I'm old & lucky to be able to have a home theater system along with a separate 2 channel system. My 2 channel system now has a pair of speakers that cost close to $20,000. Are they worth it you bet. I bought them because I like the way they sound. I bet there are a lot of people that will criticized my 2 channel purchase but who cares.

My home theater now has the Axiom HP M80. I traded my M80V3 for the HP model. The Axiom's replaced Paradigm Model 9. The Axiom's blew the Paradigm's away. The HP 80's are fabulous. Axiom improved on any weakness that the M80 might of had. I could be bragging about my 2 channel system but why? It's all about the sound and Axiom delivers. My only regret is I might have spent to much on my 2 channel speaker system when I could have preferred the Bryston Model T built by Axiom. People need to get over themselves and just enjoy the music.

huskydave #400947 02/12/14 07:34 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Amen....

TAM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup