Rate Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Any coffee geeks here?
michael_d #400905 02/12/14 03:50 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
A year ago I researched coffee brewers & grinders for way too long, ha!

The Technivorm seemed to be the one that was universally well liked. It is built like a tank for longevity; however, I chose this one (that had just come to the marketplace) as it was $100 less. It had a lot of neat brewing controls & features that most brewers do not have. Read about it here:

http://www.behmor.com/brazen.php

I run it at 204F with a 1:30 minute pre-soak. It has a 2 year warranty that might be handy as it is processor controlled & it doesn't like really hard water so frequent cleaning is required. Fortunately the water from our glacier here on Vancouver Island is extremely soft so it is happy.

From my research, coffee grinders seem to be problematic; however, I came across this burr grinder at Costco.ca online that has been working flawlessly for over a year:

http://www.costco.ca/Espressione-Professional-Conical-Burr-Coffee-Grinder.product.10338549.html

I generally buy coffee beans from Costco as they have many different varieties & roasts from all over the world at a reasonable price - especially when they go on sale. I mix beans for my own blends that gives a different character every time.

For those who like cappuccino, it's hard to beat this little wonder (uses capsules) that makes a fine exotic after-supper coffee. It's available milk frother is simply superb (it's best to buy it as a combo):

http://www.nespresso.com/pixie/?l=en_US

Great fun...

TAM

exlabdriver #400909 02/12/14 10:14 AM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J

see the taste test on coffee brewers

1sweetspot #400933 02/12/14 04:45 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: 1sweetspot
That could have bean Lavazza Intenso coffee they serve. That brand is one of Italy's most popular.

Not sure if any of you have tried using an Aeropress, but man I'm loving it. I have brewers ranging from Bialetti Mocha Express to French press, to a Rancilio Silvia, even a Tehnivormn Moccamaster, but I use that Aeropress every morning. Best $30 investment I've made in a long time!

No it is Intenso. They have a few different roasts. I found them on Amazon, and plan to try them.

I LOVE the Aeropress. That is what I use if i do not want espresso

michael_d #400939 02/12/14 05:43 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I saw that video some time ago. I use the supplied metal filter with my Brazen & it don't feel that I'm missing anything. Makes me happy in the morning.

It seems that the Technivorm was brewing much hotter than the rest. What is nice with the Brazen, is that one can choose from 190 to 210F. If my Brazen blew up tomorrow, I think that the Technivorm would be my choice despite its odd appearance & higher price.

Coffee taste of course is like taste in speakers - totally subjective. One thing that I found when researching coffee brewing, there is a certain 'coffee snobbery' out there that rivals 'wine snobbery' or 'audio gear snobbery'.

Gives me a headache just reading some of that stuff....

TAM

michael_d #400949 02/12/14 08:25 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I like the look of the Brazen, but lots of people seem to have trouble with it. Thanks for the referral!

I've got an aeropress and I like it, but I feel like it's just a glorified pour-over. By the time you stir it and wait a couple seconds, half of the liquor has already flowed through the filter. I'd like to be able to control the contact time a little better, like with a french press. Suggestions?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #400951 02/12/14 09:18 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
The initial 'A' models had some issues & I had to have mine replaced last fall because the processor seemed to lose its mind.

Behmor's Customer Service was absolutely wonderful (just like Axiom's) & after I had done some troubleshooting with them online, they sent me a brand new 'B' model with shipping included from the US. It has been flawless.

Hard water areas might be problematic though unless cleaning is done regularly...

TAM

michael_d #400952 02/12/14 09:29 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Regarding coffee snobery, I know what you are saying. My friends think I'm nuts because of my machines and that I get beans mailed to me, but I am far from being a coffee snob. When I was in Kona last fall, I went to many farms and coffee roasters. Love that Kona coffee, but there's no freeking way I'm spending $40-80 for a pound of beans. And as hard as I tried to taste a diff between peabody beans and regular, I could not.

michael_d #400966 02/12/14 11:58 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
A couple of snobbery examples from a coffee review site:

Rich, deep, dark chocolaty. Hints of cedar and perhaps lemon. The mouthfeel is full, perhaps a bit heavy. Clean, simple, rather deep finish. Imparts a sweet, wood-toned chocolate and syrupy mouthfeel to three parts whole milk.

or

Sweet-toned, with distinct floral and fruit – mango, apricot – notes in aroma and small cup. Very lightly syrupy mouthfeel; the finish is sweet, clean, simple. Fades a bit in three parts milk, though a delicate floral-toned chocolate persists.

Arrgh, I can't stand it.

BTW - 'mouthfeel' is not in the spell checker, ha!...

TAM

michael_d #400973 02/13/14 01:14 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
In grappling with this issue among BEER snobs, I have concluded that it is possible that some people have more highly developed palates than I do. I actually think it's pretty likely that some people are able to perceive certain compounds more readily than other people.

But, yeah, I don't get it. And I will not allow that type of language to compromise my enjoyment or the enjoyment of others around me.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #400974 02/13/14 01:37 AM
veteran
veteran
I usually have to top up the Aeropress with water before the stirring and pressing process as the grounds absord a good portion of the liquid, but I don't think there has ever been more than a 1/2 oz of liquor in my cup when brewing from the "4" mark. Does that happen with the standard issue paper filters or one of the aftermarket metal ones?

on the Technivorm: it works great, but I can see one clear advantage with the Brazen is the shower head. If the coffee is not stirred while brewing with the Techivorm, the coffee is unevenly extracted unfortunately. I would like to try the brew from a Brazen - looks very customizable!

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters