Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: new M100 review from enjoy the music
JBG #401128 02/16/14 11:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The ones that really get me is when they give the catalogue info numbers , like im really going to go out and get that album ,sheesh.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
JBG #401130 02/16/14 11:25 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By: JBG
Review of the M100 from enjoy the misic

I lost all respect for the reviewer not too far into the article after he initially described the Axioms as 'bass heavy' then went on to complain they were too harsh on certain tracks. Doesn't he know he just contradicted himself?

Cohesion #401196 02/19/14 01:22 AM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: cohesion
Review of the M100 from enjoy the misic

I lost all respect for the reviewer not too far into the article after he initially described the Axioms as 'bass heavy' then went on to complain they were too harsh on certain tracks. Doesn't he know he just contradicted himself?

Would be very interesting if someone would do a side-by-side with Bryston's Mode T (Vs. the M100). And, if Bryston is going to start building their models with the new tweeter?

Last edited by FireGuy; 02/19/14 01:22 AM.

FireGuy
M22V3/M3ti/M2V3/Omega Super 5/Aperion 5C/OutlawLFM1+Sub/Denon AVR1906/YamDVDC750/AS AMP110
JBG #401201 02/19/14 03:28 AM
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
The review is hilarious. It's a good illustration of how difficult it is to describe something that's invisible, i.e., sound. It's also full of what I call "audiobabble" - words that seem to be describing something, but which in reality aren't.

For example - "Taj Mahal will sound better with a more refined upper frequency response, higher ultimate resolution and faster reflexes." Seriously? What does that even mean?

People have reflexes and I suppose you could argue that speakers have response times, but what difference does that make? It's not like a computer monitor where a slow response time causes visible blurring. Images have resolution and a low resolution image is easy to spot, but what does a "higher ultimate resolution" sound like?

JBG #401218 02/19/14 12:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If the sound pixels are smaller, they flow through your ear canal easier.

Last edited by Murph; 02/19/14 12:25 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
JBG #401225 02/19/14 04:39 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
As usual guys, it is the techno babble(aka misplaced snobbery) that exists throughout the so-called "high end" community when they review products. Reading speaker reviews from these people is bad enough, reviews about esoteric expensive cables, especially those in which a one man operation and sometimes a friend of the reviewer has come up with a magic formula that supercedes all other designs and manufactures them in his basement. Now those reviews are even more of a riot.

I still remember the quote of the late, great Julian Hirsch who wrote regular articles in the former "Stereo Review" which I believe now is part of "Sound & Vision". He said "that any manufacturer with half decent engineering can produce a product to a given performance spec. when they have access to the best parts, unlimited materials and, in the end,be able to charge anything they want for it. The REAL quality engineering and manufacturing comes when a manufacturer can produce a product to the similar spec. and performance to the above, maintain quality, yet, charge a fraction of the price while still making a decent profit in the process".

Incidentally, after years and years of listening AND playing music, along with the usual ridiculous "audiospeak" much of which has been referred to already, I am still trying to figure out what "inner detail" means?

Last edited by casey01; 02/19/14 04:48 PM.
casey01 #401226 02/19/14 05:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: casey01
Incidentally, after years and years of listening AND playing music, along with the usual ridiculous "audiospeak" much of which has been referred to already, I am still trying to figure out what "inner detail" means?

"Inner detail" comes from navel-gazing.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #401240 02/20/14 12:40 AM
Jc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Hi,

Unfortunately, professional reviews are important for a product. I remember at the time that I owned an audio-video boutique when I was introducing a new product potential customers were always inquiring if the product had been professionnaly reviewed. The same question I often had to reply to over the phone at Axiom. The reviews create a buzz around and generate interest for a new product.

The challenge for a reviewer is conveying to the readers his impressions (which are highly subjective) of a product. The difficulty comes from the fact that he can't compare what he is hearing to the original creation. He can only compare it to what it sounded on another speaker model, most likely to his reference speaker. A reference speaker which met his personal taste and expectations; not necessarely neutral, uncoloured or accurate.

Another challenge for a reviewer is to find new ways of using words and expressions to deliver his message. He wants to be different and he has to satisfy both the reader and the editor.

Another observation that I made over the years is that the review is written in relation with the price of the product. Often the goal of the review is clearly to justify its ridiculous high price.

Axiom speakers are exceptionally neutral and accurate. So if a reviewer is questionning its bass and/or highs may be, just may be, he should take the opportunity to question and reevaluate the performance of his reference speaker and this time trying not to be influenced by its price.

A professionnal review is nothing more than the opinion of a person and its value is always far less than your own opinion !

Last edited by Jc; 02/20/14 12:44 AM.

jc
JBG #401243 02/20/14 01:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Don't take this the wrong way but who exactly decides who the professionals are. There are lots of names I recognize from magazines who have been around since before the wheel, like alan smile or Kal Rubinson but what exactly are the required credential's. My decision to buy axiom was more forum based than anything else and I found axiom by searching for Canadian speaker manufacturers. FWIW I don't think there are any words that convey correctly how music sounds or affects different people.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
JBG #401249 02/20/14 04:45 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Seen that this guy in his review has the speakers 30 inches from the rear wall & using all rear port plugs...

what is your setup with the m100's? I have mine 10 inches from the rear walls and 6 inches from side walls, slightly toed in, 10 feet apart and haven't experimented with the port plugs yet.

I'm thinking I'll try this positioning.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020