Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: One More Time
Argon #401487 02/28/14 12:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Move the couch. It will muffle and absorb the bass frequencies. I don't even bother since you will get a different amount of reinforcement or bass frequencies depending on its location.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #401502 02/28/14 12:21 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Easier said than done. It is a large sectional. All the pieces are hooked together. I would be dismantling the entire seating section and pushing pieces to the side. That is why I was trying the balancing act in the first place. Unfortunately, it didn't work very well.

Having said that, if I was to pile the furniture to the sides, or slide the pieces to either side of the sub location, would that fact affect the bass waves? I have forgotten more about sines and cosines than I learned in the first place.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #401505 02/28/14 12:47 PM
local
local
You might try putting the sub on the floor just in front of or just behind your main seating position. For bonus points try the sub crawl both ways!

Having pieces of the sectional up against the walls likely would skew your results so it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Cohesion #401519 02/28/14 04:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Originally Posted By: cohesion
You might try putting the sub on the floor just in front of or just behind your main seating position. For bonus points try the sub crawl both ways!

Yes. This. Great idea.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #401522 02/28/14 05:45 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I will try in front - although the last vestiges of my memory concerning sine waves is that that could put me in a peak or valley compared to being back another foot to 18 inches. Behind does not work as the sectional backs up to the knee wall.

It occurs to me that I have never posted pics of my setup. Partly because it is not a dedicated "Theater" but mostly because I can be lazy at times. I do know that the knee wall with 45 degree slope to the ceiling does seem to be good aoustically.

Further, I need a different TV stand as the location for the center is not quite tall enought. The top part of the speaker is obscured by a metal support for the TV shelf. Last night, I put on some Bonnie Raitt and was flipping back and forth from Direct Mode to PLII mode. I had set the sub back to the Audyssey setting (I bump it from 3 to 6 db for movies) and was listening to the bass. I could not help but marvel at the M60's when playing alone. I called my wife up and had her sit in the sweet spot. She preferred the direct mode with just the 60's. Her comment was the the PLII mode sounded like a "stereo". I too had noticed that the 60's had a nice full, rich sound compared to the VP150. I don't know if that is the driver difference or the cabinet effect of the stand? More likely a combination of the 2 factors.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #401527 02/28/14 05:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Put them where you want ,if you have 2 put them on opposite sides of the room .Dual subs will cancel most nulls, try them in phase and out of phase. I let Audyssey calibrate them as a pair. If you are still not happy I suggest a DSpeaker Antimode 8033. It is highly unlikely you will beable to place them where they sound best anyway. Try not to overthink this since you haven't got a room specifically designed for HT.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #401539 02/28/14 09:52 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Definitely not overthinking. I have had it set up for a long time - just replaying with everything now that I have a new receiver. Right now, I just have the one sub and it is going along the front wall - and it sounds pretty good where it is. I did think that the crawl might allow me to reposition it along the front wall. Just something to kill a little time with and....elicit some opinions here.

Now.....if you could convince my wife of the need for 2 subs......

Argon #401544 03/01/14 12:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Argon
Definitely not overthinking. I have had it set up for a long time - just replaying with everything now that I have a new receiver. Right now, I just have the one sub and it is going along the front wall - and it sounds pretty good where it is. I did think that the crawl might allow me to reposition it along the front wall. Just something to kill a little time with and....elicit some opinions here.

Now.....if you could convince my wife of the need for 2 subs......

I cant help ya there, I wont even try to figure out how to make that happen. I do whatever I want,so I got nothing for ya.

I guess I should of read the thread more thoroughly , I didn't realize what you were up to or I just plain forgot. I should warn you I have CRS so sometimes I make no sense. For the record, most of us average people don't have a whole lot of choice where to put their subs or have room for 2 for that matter. My own experience is that it seems a lot of people over think this and get way to carried away, that or I am lucky cause mine sound great to me. Also my experience has been that 2 subs are better than one, I suspect that is because of nulls and such. Its not about more output,it just sounds more balanced to me. I have considered getting a Antimode but I just don't feel I have any problems, perhaps I am easier to please.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020