Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Dishwasher
oldskoolboarder #293355 02/22/10 05:15 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Hmmm, no problems with either one of our Miele dishwashers both work great, although the first one did work a little better due to it's built in water softener. 2hrs for washing dishes, no problem for me. I usually forget it is on and am in no hurry to have them washed right away either, but if I was, I would use the quick cycle which is about the same as most other dishwashers.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Wid #401898 03/14/14 09:30 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'M BACK.

Well, the f*$king Kitchenaid has just about had it. Good riddance, you miserable POS.

I thought it was a nice unit, but it's been uncool for a while. I've had to fix the load spring thing (the doodad that makes it not seem like the door weighs 50 pounds) twice. Once, I did it, and then had it done. Had to remove the gasket around the soap dispenser so that it would close properly. Had to dissemble, clean and reassemble all the water squirty parts a couple of times (we actually have very SOFT water, so this makes no sense to me), bought one new silverware basket because the old one melted, and patched the new basket because it melted, too. I KNOW there are a couple other things in there, too, but I can't remember off the top of my head what they were.

Now, it doesn't reliably drain and the heater element seems to not work.

So, that SOB is going buh-bye.

Any new wisdom in the last four years?

What say you?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #401900 03/14/14 09:47 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I'M BACK.

Well, the f*$king Kitchenaid has just about had it. Good riddance, you miserable POS.

I thought it was a nice unit, but it's been uncool for a while. I've had to fix the load spring thing (the doodad that makes it not seem like the door weighs 50 pounds) twice. Once, I did it, and then had it done. Had to remove the gasket around the soap dispenser so that it would close properly. Had to dissemble, clean and reassemble all the water squirty parts a couple of times (we actually have very SOFT water, so this makes no sense to me), bought one new silverware basket because the old one melted, and patched the new basket because it melted, too. I KNOW there are a couple other things in there, too, but I can't remember off the top of my head what they were.

Now, it doesn't reliably drain and the heater element seems to not work.

So, that SOB is going buh-bye.

Any new wisdom in the last four years?

What say you?

had a similar story with the whirlpool gold dishwasher on top of that it had became a fire hazard... best deals was at boxing day... we bought a LG dishwasher couldn't be happier! expect only 7 - 10 year life out of any one you buy no matter the brand or price... lg seems to agree with the wife factor.

JBG #401901 03/14/14 11:30 PM
Tom, Joyce and I bought a Kenmore Elite that still amazes us. It's only been a couple of years, though.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Wid #401903 03/14/14 11:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
For those not aware, there are only 2 or 3 major manufacturers for all major household appliances with the exception of some out of country (e.g. German made).
I've had a few repairmen come through our house to fix a Maytag washer (6 yrs old), a Kitchenaid dishwasher (small repair from a minor recall notice), a Maytag and a GE fridge...etc.
They've all told me these manufacturers engineer the products under the well known name brand companies but just these few parent corporations own them all. Even Sears/Kenmore buys parts from these makers and just puts together their own units.

Anyone feel free to correct this information if i've been misinformed.

All that being said, which is a good brand name for household appliances knowing that most of the parts and makers are pretty much coming from the same few manufacturers?

I asked this of a few repairmen and the answers always varied. Sure the guy has 30 years experience and says he repairs Maytag the least but then another equally qualified guy tells me he repairs KitchenAid the least.

I'm personally believing that you buy a unit for its features these days and just hope it lasts long enough for you to feel you got a decent buy out of the thing.
Nothing is made to last anymore.

Incidentally we bought a KitchenAid dishwasher about 4 years ago for 50% off its retail price of $1400 because they were 'last years' model and only had 4 left in the store. It was so damn quiet that my mother bought one as well later in the week.
We've had no major issues with them and they continue to perform about as well as could be expected from any decent dishwasher.
Yes, our glasses still have spots.
That's just life with chemistry.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Wid #401904 03/15/14 12:24 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Chess, I think you're right.

I'm pretty sure that Maytag, Whirlpool, Kitchenaid and JennAir are all made by one company, for instance. I know you're right that all Kenmores are basically retagged/upgraded models from other manufacturers including Whirlpool, GE and others.

Wid #401906 03/15/14 01:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am in need of a quite dishwasher. Ours is sooo loud and may be on it's last leg. I think I printed out dishwasher recommendations last year when I had a CR subscription wonder if I can still find it...

-David
tomtuttle #401907 03/15/14 01:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Chess, I think you're right.

I'm pretty sure that Maytag, Whirlpool, Kitchenaid and JennAir are all made by one company, for instance. I know you're right that all Kenmores are basically retagged/upgraded models from other manufacturers including Whirlpool, GE and others.

Well thanks Tom.
I'm not crazy then; at least, not at this moment.

I know Bosch is truly made in Germany and is of a different engineering group entirely but they are also kinda pricey, however i hear are of very high quality.
Still, our Kitchen Aid bought at half price has been stellar. I doubt i would have paid $1400 for it though. Our max price was probably around $900.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Wid #401909 03/15/14 01:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I need something with stainless steel front, inside stainless optional. Must be quiet and work well. Don't care about have 8 wash setting just a few options. Delayed start would be a bonus. $700 price point ideal . Any ideas?

-David
Wid #401911 03/15/14 05:37 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
We ended up pulling the trigger on an 800 series Bosch that was in stock and on a good sale. Bosches don't seem any more expensive than other brands around here; lots of options from $650-800 or so. Install tomorrow, and I will report back.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020