Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
American Duty
#402048 03/21/14 12:24 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I am just kinda curious what the duty is like when someone from the USA buys a Canadian made product like Axioms. When I bought my amp the duty was around 50 dollars yet my sister bought 10lbs of butter and they were going to charge her 300.00 duty , she had to throw it in the garbage.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Re: American Duty
Gr8_White_North #402049 03/21/14 12:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Socketman
I am just kinda curious what the duty is like when someone from the USA buys a Canadian made product like Axioms. When I bought my amp the duty was around 50 dollars yet my sister bought 10lbs of butter and they were going to charge her 300.00 duty , she had to throw it in the garbage.

For an American to import a Made In Canada product (and vice versa) according to the North American Free Trade Agreement the amount of duty paid should be 0.

I assume your amp is Made In China and shipped from the USA. China (country of origin where the product was made) does not fall under NAFTA and would be subject to duty.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #402050 03/21/14 01:09 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

For an American to import a Made In Canada product (and vice versa) according to the North American Free Trade Agreement the amount of duty paid should be 0.

I assume your amp is Made In China and shipped from the USA. China (country of origin where the product was made) does not fall under NAFTA and would be subject to duty.

That is where my head is at, but I was too lazy to research grin And yeah the amp is made in China. So with our dollar where it is at should potentially be of benefit to Axiom when targeting a large market like the US of A . What I find confusing is I can order certain products from Amazon.com and they will ship to Canada but other products they wont.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #402051 03/21/14 01:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

That is where my head is at, but I was too lazy to research grin And yeah the amp is made in China. So with our dollar where it is at should potentially be of benefit to Axiom when targeting a large market like the US of A . What I find confusing is I can order certain products from Amazon.com and they will ship to Canada but other products they wont.

Groceries and liquor are different and the amount of duty free on these goods are based on the length of stay in that visiting country.

I have no idea about Amazon shipping policies.

-Max Payne
Gr8_White_North #402052 03/21/14 01:21 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The thing with my sis was she live just across the Blaine border crossing and they don't like us canucks buying all their cheap dairy so they have a limit on the amount of butter among other things.

I just look at my amazon history and I bought a Oster waffle maker project tubebox II phono preamp as an example but I cant buy a Denon receiver or wood veneer yet I can go to another American website and buy wood veneer. None of it matters now anyway cause the dollar is so low it makes the savings a moot point.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #402053 03/21/14 01:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The thing with my sis was she live just across the Blaine border crossing and they don't like us canucks buying all their cheap dairy so they have a limit on the amount of butter among other things.

I just look at my amazon history and I bought a Oster waffle maker project tubebox II phono preamp as an example but I cant buy a Denon receiver or wood veneer yet I can go to another American website and buy wood veneer. None of it matters now anyway cause the dollar is so low it makes the savings a moot point.

That limit increases the longer you stay.

I stay far away of any of that cheap hormone dairy or poultry (butter, milk, eggs, cheese) in American grocery stores.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #402060 03/21/14 06:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When most US states codes implemented the sale of only 1.6g toilets, for the next few years, it was the most confiscated item trying to be smuggled into the US at the Vermont border.

Funny, for you guys it's dairy and for us it's a conveyance for after-the-dairy-is-consumed.

"The US/Canadian Butter/Toilet Wars." There's a book in there, or at least an "Esquire" article. The cover would have a cow on a toilet, obviously, right?

Last edited by BobKay; 03/21/14 06:51 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Gr8_White_North #402061 03/21/14 07:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Let me guess, the piece would be titled:

"Bowel MOOOOOvement"

(A hard-hitting expose by Bob K)

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Gr8_White_North #402062 03/21/14 07:19 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jeeesh, JP.... that was bad. In a really funny kind of way.

Someone Rimshot the man, will 'ya?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Gr8_White_North #402063 03/21/14 07:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I just Googled "cow sitting on toilet and these were the first two entries:

Just goes to show there are no new ideas any more. Sigh.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020