Re: Lets plan a theater space
AAAA #412290 05/24/15 06:29 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Updates. The chore part of the project is almost done. Then I'm allowed to start going to town on the fun room. The laundry closet, trim and door casings are pretty much done. I still have the tedious job of boxing out and trimming the windows. I've been putting it off because we went through the entire house and I've had my fill of working around windows. They are a slow and finicky thing for sure. Not my cup of tea.

Here is what we figured out for a laundry closet. A stackable washer and dryer live in there. We turned bifold closet doors into louvered hinged doors by biscuit jointing them together. Kind of a pain in the nuts to paint by hand, but they turned out nice.

The bar area is pretty much complete. We hung a pallet wine rack we got as a wedding gift and mounted the workout T.V. at the end of the room. The theater entrance is almost trimmed out now. I have to add a chair rail cap to the top for the crown of the boston header. I splurged for a couple of plinths to dress it up a bit by going with 3.5" MDF for all the trim. Happy with the results so far for $6.20 a length. The trim for all windows, baseboard and doors came to $300 on the nose. Counting pennies now as the budget dwindles.

Finally, here is the room I really care about. It was trimmed out as well this weekend and is awaiting the finish coat of paint and window work as well. I have a couple of spots in the slab I have to address. There are a couple of bumps and a small divot or two I have to chip out and epoxy fill respectively. But otherwise ready for carpet soon after. The color doesn't really show up well in photos for some reason. It looks kind of like a burnt yellow\sunrise kind of hue. The trim and stain color really play well together and it should be a really comforting space. This winter was really really really long here on the Island, so we decided that this room will be the winter oasis. Hence the very warm and sun shiny pallet.

Here is a sneak peak at the 2 overhead lights we went with. Gonna be awesome! Have to find some sconces that fit the design and color theme. The ones I picked before are no longer available to order. Go figure. Inching closer to the finish now. Can't wait to tear into the gear boxes again and start posting measurement plots from bare to various stages of treatment. grin

AAAA #412291 05/24/15 06:59 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
It's looking very good!

AAAA #412292 05/24/15 10:21 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Thanks! Very excited.

AAAA #412298 05/25/15 02:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Looking Great!!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
AAAA #412328 05/26/15 10:30 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
For anyone following along, and buildng or planning to build, an hour a night plus every Saturday moves things along nicely without feeling too overwhelming.

I'm starting to reach the point of just wanting to be done already. Burnout. Until now, I've been pretty disciplined with making sure everything is finished 100% before I open up any gear boxes and speakers. But it is starting to get hard. All the gear is piled up in my listening room, so I've had both ends of my audio hobby out of commision since February or so. I'd like to move the gear downstairs into the workout corner, but that is slated for action anytime now. Boo hoo!

Anyway, its time to start thinking about choosing carpet. I know the room pic is a little shifted, but anyone have any thoughts on a complimentary color? The carpet I originally wanted was Harvest Wheat/gold in color, but the paint will be too matchy with it I think. Thoughts? My wife will be the final arbiter I guess, but I'd sure appreciate any input. The sectional will likely be dark brown if that helps.

AAAA #412530 06/06/15 07:40 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Carpet picked and ordered. Install booked for 3 weeks from now. We went with a patterned light beige carpet. Should be really nice looking once the room is a put together. Chugging along. Today we got the windows in the theater boxed and trimmed. The electrical devices are 90% installed (waiting on sconce delivery) The ceiling lights are really spectacular. It is definitely worth the extra money and time to plan out lighting properly. Thanks goes out to Nick and Chess for their input. I still have to do caulking and paint touch ups.

I have to track down the cabinet hardware to install hinged doors on the electrical panel and also on the water main\meter in the other side of the basement. Once the doors are installed on those and painted up all that remains is the stair makeover. As soon as the room is carpeted the gear is getting brought back down to the basement and HT cabling will be pulled and readied.

Overhead Lights (without glass shades until finished making mess)

Rear Media\Diffuser wall spotlights (better impression of the wall color)

AAAA #412536 06/07/15 12:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Looking very good! The lights fit in very well. I like the colour of the paint in that last picture.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
AAAA #412538 06/07/15 01:07 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I really like those lights. Beautiful space.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
AAAA #412544 06/07/15 08:12 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Thanks guys! Anyone familiar with carpet installs? My installer says he is going to butt the carpet up to the base trim and doesnt need to tuck it under. Does this seem wierd? He is also going to pl premium the smoothedge down the day before, instead of tacking it to the concrete. I dont know enough about it to know if it matters. He is highly recommended, so maybe I should just trust and let be.

Page 40 of 89 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 88 89

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters