Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Did Axiom and Gene kiss and make up
Gr8_White_North #404034 05/09/14 04:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
what search engine did you use? Google? Google sells/uses all of the search data used.. Amazon is the same way for re-using a search that you performed on their website.

There was an interesting episode of Morgan Spurlock's show on CNN (inside man) Where he wanted to know how easy it was to track someone digitally, then he followed that with how much information is being collected on people digitally. It was pretty eye opening as to how much of one's internet/computer-related life is being recorded. There are several large add companies that basically data mine everything that they can on everyone in the US. Keep in mind, Google makes a LOT of money from their add business they are "kind enough" to let us use their search engine, but as we know... Nothing in life is truly free.. Also, Amazon incentives companies to have links to their site as well.. In todays digital age, it's all about targeted marketing... Just like Richard noticed on the AVS forum, which we know there was some drama there a while back....

In all seriousness, my previous comment was a tongue and cheek comment, but it is somewhat scary as to how much of our lives are being tracked/recorded by marketing companies..

Here is an alternate search engine that does not store/use/sell your searches..
https://duckduckgo.com/

Gr8_White_North #404036 05/09/14 05:13 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
At my daughter's place, I used Google on her Mac.

At home, I've been using 'duckduckgo' for a couple of years & while it is not quite as powerful as the others, it really works well & doesn't ever track usage.

I won't use any Google products unless I have to - too much data gathering & the way that they greedily store it all forever is quite frankly manic & scary...

TAM

Gr8_White_North #404038 05/09/14 10:05 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I know how much money is made from sites like google and data mining , what I don't know is who they are making money off of, certainly not people like me, adds have zero influence on my purchases. They can track me all they want I got nothing to hide, at least nothing I would put on the net.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #404039 05/09/14 10:41 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I have nothing to hide either; however, all of this marketing run wild - whether it is in your face on the net or unwelcome phone calls at all hours - is increasingly friggin annoying.

If Shaw Cable calls me one more time trying to get me to switch to their cable phones - aaarrrgh...

TAM

Gr8_White_North #404040 05/10/14 02:46 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I agree ,the phone calls are a PITA . We got 5 in a row Wednesday morning at work. I am of the opinion that if I want something I will call you not the other way around.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #404041 05/10/14 02:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Richard, it's much more than what your saying on the internet. Companies also track where you use a credit/debit card ECT...

Not to be the local whack job conspiracy theorist, but... Look at target, and other major north American retailers that keep customers information on every purchase made, I'll let you draw your own conclusion..

Gr8_White_North #404042 05/10/14 03:39 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The only place I shop are where I can use paypal, they are the only ones with my cc info and I have balance protetor on my cards. I know there are millions of people much less cautious than I am and I most certainly don't agree with the data mining that goes on. If I had my choice things on this planet would be more like they were when I was a teen, we did just fine without the internet and cellphones.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #404084 05/11/14 02:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Morgan Spurlock show was very revealing, to the point of no matter what methods you try and avoid data capture, you will not be as successful as you think.

I design systems infrastructure for global companies in many industries - both internal and public facing, and if you think you are avoiding anything on the internet, you are not...no matter the search engine, browser, payment method...

The only safe method is truly to not use the 'net.

Gr8_White_North #404100 05/12/14 02:13 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
There is nothing about me on the internet that you couldn't find in a phone book. They can collect all the data they want. Adds don't influence me and I got nothing to hide. Only the gullible should be in fear.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020