Re: Centre channel, Axiom and Jim Smith
MMM #404249 05/15/14 06:59 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Yes. The LP180 that I ordered is quite a monster. The only problem that I have is I have not gotten the movie room built, so it is a little but more problematic to test everything as where they all are right now doesn't even have a TV.

The QS8 speakers really do need to be wall mounted and the wife will not let me make some holes in the walls to mount them in her front freashly decorated sitting room.

But I am willing to say that if the rest of the speaker I ordered sound even 1/2 as good as the M80s, then I am golden.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #404252 05/15/14 07:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Matt , you can also take comfort in the fact that we have room correction built into modern receivers which goes a long way to correcting the gross deficits in most rooms. Since you are building a dedicated room , I suspect the room correction will take care of all minor irregularities you may encounter. I have not read the book you mentioned but I did notice it was from 2008 and a lot has changed since then, including peoples willingness to properly prepare their rooms.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #404253 05/15/14 08:25 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The major points inside the book are all about how to go about properly voicing a set of speakers and what to do to acoustically correct a room.

But to put it into a photographers lingo. If you shoot RAW, you can correct many problems in Post Production. But then again, is it not far better off to shoot the photograph correctly (right exposure, light, aperture, shutter speed) when your took the photograph in the first place.

Yes, with room correction technology you can change the sound your speakers emit to compensate for the way that your room effect the sound. or the other option is to correct the room so that it minimizes the negative effects on the sound. But the speakers are what they are. A badly designed speaker will never sound as good as a well designed speaker. I can't ever hope to get my old Celestian DL6 speakers to sound as good as my new M80s. They are simply designed differently and so they product a different sound.

The idea in the book focuses on how to make your system sound like what a sound engineer heard when the mix was made and recorded to your medium of choice. Ideally you would have the same setup as (s)he did during the mix and you will experience the same sound. We all know this is not possible.

So the question goes, does a movie theatre have directional front left and right speakers? Do they have just a single speaker, or a bank of speakers? Does their center channel have it's off axis sound rotate 90 degrees to match the on axis sound coming from the left and right channel? If they don't then how can you expect your HT to sound like the local movie complex down the street?

I guess the most important side to it is asking, how much impact does it really make? Are we talking about a large night and day difference or the proverbial how many angles fit though the eye of a needle. I don't know the answer to that.

In trying to achieve the perfect sound, am I running into that point of diminishing return where yes you can upgrade your sound by 5% but you must invest 100% more money to do so. But I can get you 7% better sound for a 1000% cost to do so.

Last edited by oakvillematt; 05/15/14 08:32 PM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
tomtuttle #404255 05/15/14 08:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks TT, for the compliments and best wishes.
I'm still an audio and music enthusiast, of course, and I get more time to indulge in both.

-- Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
MMM #404257 05/16/14 12:29 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Matt:

Unless things have recently changed in movie theater design, If you were to remove the screen at a movie theater, essentially what you would see is three(LCR) vertical, usually horn driven speakers, plus a long tubular subwoofer. Speakers along the side and rear are direct driven. There are several only because of the size of the space and the number of seats. Once again, with reference to the THX parameters for HT design, they recommended dipole or bipole speakers for the surround and rear since those speakers simulate the multiple speaker layout in a movie theater, however, obviously you don't need all those speakers because the space is, of course, much smaller. Axiom has carried that bipole/dipole design to the next level by having speakers in the QS4s/8s putting out sound in all directions, that is why they are so forgiving to set-up.

Be careful not to do too much over analysis about this since in a home environment with Axiom's offerings you have the tools to easily duplicate the sound if not improve on the actual movie theater experience and I am sure others will confirm what I say.

20 years of playing around with this stuff gives me some insight along with spending a ton of money along the way to find all this out.

casey01 #404302 05/16/14 10:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By: casey01
Matt:

Be careful not to do too much over analysis about this

I think Matt is enjoying the analysis portion. I think many of us do. It's all part of the fun in the hobby.

Bill

Whose avatar should I borrow next?
MMM #404918 05/31/14 09:56 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Even having the identical presenter but placing it on it's part, the audio dispersement will modify, so it's more instructed along the horizontally axis and more extensive in the straight.

MMM #405029 06/04/14 03:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Currently I am using just L/R and I find that I have to turn up the volumn quite a bit more to get good dialogue in the sound stage.
Then when some action takes place it is too loud.

I find with a centre channel I do not need the volumn up as most of the dialogue is coming from one speaker in the middle and more direct. The when the action takes place the L/R speakers handle the level more acturatly

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

MMM #405043 06/04/14 04:13 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I love how the towers literally disappear. I've walked up to them numerous times (before and after placing the screen) to see which units were actually outputting sound. Even when you're right up close to them you still need to lean in to separate the sound from the other towers.

It was really interesting when I had all 5 across the room and only 2 connected. It would've been a lucky guess to choose the correct towers.

brwsaw #405074 06/05/14 12:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
I love how the towers literally disappear. I've walked up to them numerous times (before and after placing the screen) to see which units were actually outputting sound. Even when you're right up close to them you still need to lean in to separate the sound from the other towers.

It was really interesting when I had all 5 across the room and only 2 connected. It would've been a lucky guess to choose the correct towers.

I totally agree with you. Sometimes I loose focus on the movie because I am marveling at the sound coming at me.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020