Integra DTC9.8 fix it or flog it
#404303 05/16/14 10:59 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have an AnthemMCA5 power amp, to drive my M80, VP180 & QS8 speakers.

I recently purchased an Integra DTC9.8 used for $450 only to find out that the surround right channel is blown. I've sunk another $40 to get a quote for getting it fixed. It's a board on the unit that is shot and will cost another $250 to get it replaced.

For $675 I can buy a Pioneer receiver that has RCA pre-outs, and a built in AMP. Multi Zone, AirPlay, DLNA etc.. I probably could sell the Integra for $350~400 on kajiji

If I fix the Integra, i gain better Audacity room correction and XLR connectors to my amp. and THX

The cost of going either way is about equal. What would you suggest?

Last edited by oakvillematt; 05/16/14 11:00 PM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Re: Integra DTC9.8 fix it or flog it
MMM #404304 05/16/14 11:16 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Not selling the integra lest ye have no integrity.... Its got a dead channel.

Fix it is my vote.

A 675$ pioneer is junk compared to what you have.

AAAA #404305 05/16/14 11:33 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The pioneer elite is last years model that actually is better that this years that replaced it. The newer SC1228 sells for $1300, but doesn't have any pre-outs on it.

I could also look into getting the bigger 9.2 unit (SC1527K) for $950 again because it's last years model rather than $1800 for this.

Last edited by oakvillematt; 05/16/14 11:34 PM.

MMM #404307 05/17/14 02:01 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Matt, I'd suggest getting the 9.8 fixed for the Audyssey processing and other features. If you would really have a significant use for the internal amp in the Pioneer, this would of course be something to weigh.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

MMM #404308 05/17/14 02:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I too would vote for fixing it since it is a nice piece of gear. On caveat though is that I myself have shyed away from Onkyo/Integra because of their flaky hdmi boards. I have myself been eyeing a separate pre/pro and looked at Integra but I found many cases of failed HDMI boards with them on the internet. I am now saving my pennies in hopes of finding a Marantz AV8801 with Multi EQ XT32 I can afford/justify. Still if you can fix it for 250 you will likely get top dollar for it.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #404309 05/17/14 03:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Then there's me. I'm a big fan of the upper end Pioneer Elite. And I prefer the sound quality of MCACC over Audyssey. There's a hugh fan club of Audyssey users here. But, after using a Pioneer Elite, then switching to a Denon, I got spoiled with the Pioneer sound, and could never get the Denon to sound right. Was always weak on the bass and too bright on the highs.

MMM #404311 05/17/14 03:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cat , I have never tried Pioneers MCACC but I have been a long time Pioneer supporter. When I bought my Denon I got caught up in the whole room correction BS and thus bought a Denon. I Also have a Yamaha and YPAO seems to work quite well. The room correction software seems to improve every year and I am sure they are all quite good now. In my room I find that it sounds just as good with or without RC. I now have separate amplification so I am sort of in the market for a pre/pro and the Marantz is as close as I can get within my budget to check all the box's. Next up is a Krell at 6 grand or the oh so elusive Emo XMC-1 but im not sure it will do front heights. If Pioneer made a Pre/Pro I would definetly look at it. It looks like Pioneer is selling its AV to Funai so I don't see a pre/pro in the future. If I were buying considering an AVR purchase like matt is I would get the pioneer since I really don't think there is a huge difference in RC software .

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #404312 05/17/14 08:33 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
After looking on the internet, I have seen several posts about the Integra/Onkio with HDMI failures. It's also hard to gauge if this is because there are a whole lot of units shipped and thus the number of reported failures will correspondingly be high? or because of a badly designed product.

I think that everyone is correct in getting the unit fixed. I have seen on the local kijiji this DTC9.8 selling used for 7-800 in perfect working condition. It may be no indication of what I could get, but I am pretty sure I would at least break even after the cost of fixing it. maybe even a few extra $$ in my pocket.

My plan was to wire the room for 7.2 or even 9.2 with extra speaker placements for Surround Rear and Front W/H. The cost of running extra cables is really small when the room is being built compared to trying to do it after the fact when drywall is all installed along with sound proofing etc.

In my old house, I originally had 5.1 with my lower cost directional small speakers. When I got a Yamaha 7.1 amp I put two more speakers in the back but that was still pre-bluray days and so they were not discrete. it did sound better but it was little more than enlarging a sound field due to front firing speakers in a rather small room.

As far as the Pioneer goes with the extra amps. Yes I could use them. Right now my power amp only has 5 channels, so if I have more speakers, then I need to power them in some fashion. The DTC9.8 can support 7.1 channels, so I would need a second 2 channel minimum power amp.

If I got a 7.1 or the bigger 9.1 Pioneer, then I could use the built in amp to power all the surround channels. The kicker part to it is that all the amps don't let you re-direct the main front left/right out to another zone. So if you plan on using the extra zone controls, you need another spare amp/receiver for that zone to power the speakers, or you give up one of the surround channels for that purpose.

As my current amp has 5 channels, I can use 3 of the to offload the L/R+C from the receiver, and have the 2 remaining for zone 2. Then have the receiver cover all the surround channels for maximum speaker coverage.

Thinking it through and looking back in hind sight, the Integra purchase wasn't all that smart of a buy.

Gr8_White_North #404319 05/17/14 05:26 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Socketman
I too would vote for fixing it since it is a nice piece of gear. On caveat though is that I myself have shyed away from Onkyo/Integra because of their flaky hdmi boards. I have myself been eyeing a separate pre/pro and looked at Integra but I found many cases of failed HDMI boards with them on the internet. I am now saving my pennies in hopes of finding a Marantz AV8801 with Multi EQ XT32 I can afford/justify. Still if you can fix it for 250 you will likely get top dollar for it.

A few months ago, I purchased the new Pre-Pro from Yamaha, CX-A5000 and I compared it the Marantz 8801, ultimately picking the Yamaha because like you, I have owned Yamaha stuff before, liked it alot and in this comparison specifically with comparable features it was overall a significantly better value for the money AND a full FOUR year warranty.

casey01 #404322 05/17/14 06:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: casey01
Originally Posted By: Socketman

A few months ago, I purchased the new Pre-Pro from Yamaha, CX-A5000 and I compared it the Marantz 8801, ultimately picking the Yamaha because like you, I have owned Yamaha stuff before, liked it alot and in this comparison specifically with comparable features it was overall a significantly better value for the money AND a full FOUR year warranty.

I have come close to buying the CX but it doesn't do front wides or heights and I don't want to/cant change my speaker arrangement. I agree it is a great value considering what a av8801 is going for. There was one on ebay last nite for auction with buy it now and I hesitated and during the night someone bought it with buy it now for 2g which is half price. I was going to follow the bidding and see if I could get it cheaper and lost out.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020