Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Emotiva XPA-3 with M22's
stoudtlr #404738 05/28/14 04:40 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I REALLY like your approach.

I think putting M22's behind an AT screen is a great idea, and tucking that monster sub in the space below/behind the screen is brilliant, too. Having the rack built-in will look very elegant. Great choices all around! Wish I had the right space to do something similar.

Have you picked out your screen, yet? Did the selection of an AT screen influence other choices you made (like which projector, wall colors, etc)?

Nick has a really great thread about his HT build, but he's so fricking perfect that it makes me sick. Plus, I like to learn from various people.

Man, that is A LOT of sub.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
stoudtlr #404775 05/29/14 12:38 AM
S
buff
OP Offline
buff
S
I know what you mean about Nick's theater. Very awesome. I especially like the custom fabric on his acoustic panels. That really adds something to the room IMO instead of just being the typical black rectangles you see in other builds.

The AT screen hasn't affected any of my choices but the room itself affected my decision of going with an AT screen and the in-wall M22's. The entrance to my room is right at the front left corner so I didn't have the option of building a false wall like Nick and others have done. And I couldn't put the screen on the opposite wall without some semi major construction because there is a storage room in the back that also houses the big water distribution box that all the pex lines connect to and my water heater is in there too. That narrowed my choices down to either doing in-walls and an AT screen or doing towers that I would have to side step past to get into the room. I was OK with the 2nd option but my wife wasn't. So in-walls and AT screen it was. The sub box is actually in your line of sight when you come into the room. That's how close the entrance is to that front wall.

For the screen itself, that will be DIY as well. For about $75 I can build a frame out of 1x4's and wrap it in matte white milliskin spandex. I already have the material, just waiting until the rest of room is done before building it as I don't want to get the dust/dirt on it from the other projects. Making due with a bed sheet for now. Lol. I've read that the spandex will work just as good as factory screen material so I figured it was worth a shot to save some cash. If I don't like it and decide to go with a Seymour or something I'm only out $75 and I'll know for next time.

UMC-200, XPA-3, XPA-5, iNuke 3000DSP, M22's for LCR, 4 QS8's, 2 Ultimax 15" in DIY 12cuft ported box
stoudtlr #405905 07/01/14 08:16 PM
S
buff
OP Offline
buff
S
I've finally got my sub box filled, sanded, sealed, and painted. Also have the 135" screen built. Mostly. Just picked up some black velvet today to wrap trim pieces with that are going around all four sides of the frame. Might get to that this weekend. I finally had time to get the drop ceiling and can lights put in too. Some minor stuff left to do, like some shelving and trim work left, but finally getting close to finished. Hoping to find a good July 4th sale this weekend to get the carpet ordered.

UMC-200, XPA-3, XPA-5, iNuke 3000DSP, M22's for LCR, 4 QS8's, 2 Ultimax 15" in DIY 12cuft ported box
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters