Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1st comparison dvd Hitachi 725u vs. Panasonic CV52
#4047 06/28/02 03:51 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well my week long testing of components and speakers is finally over.
First up, the dvd players i bought. The Hitachi 725U and Panasonic CV52 from Future Shop ($290 and $350 respectively).
Info on each player can be found at the following links:

www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/dvd-vcr-play/dvd/dvp725u.shtml

Panasonic cv52

When you look at the specs for the 2 players, they both have advantages and disadvantages. THeir audio DACs look very similar (both 24bit/192khz) but the Panasonic can reproduce a slightly wider frequency range (albeit below the 20Hz and above the 22khz level).
The Hitachi seems to have a better video DAC (10bit/54mhz vs 10bit/27mhz). This is most likely due to the progressive scan capability of the Hitachi. Since my tv is not an HDTV i could not try out this option. Hence, the video quality of both players was very indistinguishable. The setup options and onscreen GUIs were both decent and very equivalent but the Hitachi has more international language options for those that require this feature.
Although the audio DACs look similar there were distinct differences in audio playback. The Panasonic seemed to reproduce the clearest sound although coupled with the Axiom speakers my fiance thought this to be somewhat bright/harsh in the upper range. The Hitachi played the music much softer but i personally felt it was actually muted or being filtered. In tuning down the treble ONE notch on the Onkyo receiver, we could reproduce the same sound as the Hitachi but while using the Panasonic. It is hard to say how these units may be tuned at the factory but the Hitachi definitely sounded like it was tweaked for softer or filtered playback.

Other than that one general difference in sound, the Hitachi had the following advantages: progressive scan, silver in colour, slightly cheaper.
Since cost is not much of a concern and since our other units are all black, then the only advantage the Hitachi has is progressive scan. I don't have a tv capable of using this feature and may not for several years yet so the Hitachi never really had any advantages at all. I was also warned away by a friend from buying low cost progressive scan dvd players. Soon enough the scan feature may get cheaper but i can't honestly believe there is a good quality p.scan unit yet for less than $300 Cdn.

The Panasonics advantages: 5 disc tray, easier buttons, more standard user functions, ''clearer' sound reproduction, slightly wider frequency response, slightly higher S/N ratio, more picture controls.

I think it is pretty clear already as to why i selected the Panasonic over the Hitachi. Although some aspects of the Hitachi playback may seem better, i personally preferred the sound reproduction from the Panasonic and could make my fiance happy with a single treble adjustment. Besides that, the Panasonic was more user friendly. The Hitachi had options, buttons that i found annoying. Even the unit itself was smaller and lighter so much so that bumping it with my elbow sent it spinning 90 degrees. I would hate to think what it would do if i pulled the entertainment unit out from the wall with any amount of shaking. My opinionis that the Panasonic was overall of higher build quality.
The 5 disc player aspect was TRULY enjoyable. Think about this, testing 2 dvd/cd players, using 2 music test discs and a third dvd test disc. Do you realize how often you have to change around banana plugs into different speakers for comparisions let alone how many times you have to switch your cds/dvds for those comparisons as well?
Damn i tell you that being able to leave all 3 discs in the Panasonic was a mental blessing after the first 2 trials. I kept on having to get out of my seat to change the Hitachi discs and i was once again getting annoyed.
So that was the end of it. The Hitachi went back.
Is it still a good player? Yes, i still believe the Hitachi is fine and perfectly suited for someone whose budget is extremely important and who may have use for a cheap progressive scan function.
Beyond that, my personal selection was for the Panasonic CV52.

Last edited by chesseroo; 06/28/02 04:12 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: 1st comparison dvd Hitachi 725u vs. Panasonic CV52
#4048 06/28/02 06:44 PM
veteran
veteran
chesseroo

Good report and info - THANKS

Question: Was DVD-Audio (or SACD) playback not important to you? (at least for now). 'Cause I don't see any evidence that either player supports DVD-A (I think mainly Sony is promoting/supporting SACD). Even though both formats are not too popular and selection of discs is limited, I am kinda surprised that a "golden eared" fellow like yourself (I mean you MUST be - by all those Axiom speakers you bought!) didn't go for that capability.

BTW - I have looked at the Panasonic CV52 in the store. And it has a pretty good looking design. (OK - I am a critic when it comes to that) So now it's nice to get a first hand report on how it works.

Thanks.

Randyman

Re: 1st comparison dvd Hitachi 725u vs. Panasonic
#4049 06/28/02 08:06 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Since dvd-a, sacd, dvd-rw, and dvd+rw are all being tossed around as the next 'vhs or beta' formats, i never went looking for these options in the dvd player. Until a format is settled there is no point trying to buy more expensive players to gamble on these technologies sticking around.
If i were looking just for players that had those options, my number of selections would have been cut down.

Besides, with only a couple of hundred dollars for a new player with set formats in 2 or 3 years, i think this new Panasonic can manage until then. After all it is my first dvd and my 'tastes' for preferences have yet to really be figured out.

As for the golden ears, you can thank my fiance for a chunk of that. Her hearing perception is far better than mine thanks to her early years of voice lessons, piano and ballet. That is something to keep in mind once i finish off the next review of the QS8s vs. the M22s as surrounds. We both did the listening tests and she scored more accurately than i did.
But more on that soon.

And yes, one of our criteria for buying units/speakers was also design looks. That is why we never bought a single black speaker and other than the dvd and receiver, everything else in the room sticks with the wood look. (pics comin soon)

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters