Rate Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Large TV Advise
INANE #405157 06/07/14 12:56 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
There should be a law against torch mode. When I get to a store into the nitty gritty, first things first I get the remote and politely ask the salesperson to take coffee. grin

The newer LCD sets are really good, dont get me wrong. So good infact, an employee at BB would drag his fingers hard across the demos to distort the color to differentiate an LCD from plasma when shelf tags were missing. CRINGE. My cue to leave the store. Yikes.

Re: Large TV Advice
INANE #405158 06/07/14 01:16 AM
shareholder in the making
I have nothing to add. I just wanted to change the spelling of the subject line. grin

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
tomtuttle #405159 06/07/14 01:25 AM
Geoff Morrison discusses motion blur in "What is Refresh Rate?" .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

INANE #405160 06/07/14 01:33 AM
Well, THAT didn't stick! Let me try that again!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
INANE #405162 06/07/14 02:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was at the hospital for 4 hrs waitin on my kid a couple weekends ago. They had an LCD tv and I watched a movie called Wild Hogs with Travolta and Tim Allen. I have watched a few time already but on the LCD someone who did not doing had set it up and it was like watching a sitcom . They had some kind of motion interpolation goin on and it was horrible. I could not watch an LCD on a daily basis. I have 3 plasma's and my only regret is I can not afford a Panny 65zt60. It was a sad day when panny said they would not make plasma's any more. Have to hold out for an oled.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
INANE #405163 06/07/14 02:47 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I run my higher end Sony LCD without any of those so-called 'picture enhancement' doodads running. For me, the PQ is simply stunning on any HD or Blu Ray source that I choose to watch. Off axis (where I don't sit), not so much.

As I've stated some time ago, I have a fine collection of vintage & modern radios - not net radios. It is well known that RFI pollution from Plasma TVs is brutal. I shudder to think that one might make its way into my neighourhood...

TAM

JohnK #405164 06/07/14 02:59 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Geoff Morrison discusses motion blur in "What is Refresh Rate?" .

I have not seen so much CR@P since my trip to the elephant exhibit at the local zoo.

Quote:
In the early days of LCDs this was predominantly because of the "response time," or how fast the pixels could change from light to dark. Response times on modern LCDs are quite good, and this isn't the big issue anymore.

So in the article he admits that the response time is no longer and issue. So what causes it? The article does not say. But he implies that the issue is caused only on LCD and not on Plasma screens.

Plasma is a light emitting technology, so it can pulse the image pixles and then fade back to black.

But so can a good LCD, as the transition from black to white to black is still less than the 60hz.

I still get a kick out of the make believe photo's they show of how they generate images in-between frames that have all this detail. It is utter BS! The differences between the two frames is almost identical, and if it is a very fast movement, then your brain simply blurs as your eyes cannot process fast enough.

Think of it as watching a car drive quickly past you. It is blured. But if you think of it, that car was updating at infinity hz. If you slice time into smaller and smaller segments, the car has moved along in a fluid and constant motion not in finite jerky blocks. So why is it blurry? Obviously the movement of the car exceeded our eye/brain ability to process individual sharp imaged in sucession, and that is with real life. How do you expect anything different from a TV.

The problem gets compounded even more, because we fail to realize that the stuff we see on TV is recorded by a video camera of some sort, and it doesn't grab everything on a frame instantly in total sharpness. No, it scans from the top corner to the bottom opposite corner and then starts over again. Any object that is moving faster than the recorders ability to capture a full frame of image will be by default smeared/burred on that frame as its position at the start of the frame is totally different from its position at the end of the frame. An no amount of adding frames, or flashing background will solve a blurred source image. Cannot be done.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
INANE #405172 06/07/14 11:50 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Thanks for the link John.

Matt, a car does not blur as it drives by. You must focus intentionally on it and your eyes will adjust focus with it as it moves. The depth of that focal plane shrinks as objects get closer to your eye however. Is this what you are talking about?

The plasma vs LCD quality debate was won long ago. Any online article, reviewer, top pick list etc is/was plasma. First Kuro now the zt60.

LCD is a far more profitable technology. Manufacturers are getting out of plasma now so great deals are out there for last in box models.

I just bought a st60 and had to dig to find one. Then I move to Charlottetown to find the last in store vt60 is selling for 100$ more than what I paid a month before for an st60. Holy was I choked.

AAAA #405174 06/07/14 02:52 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now

The plasma vs LCD quality debate was won long ago. Any online article, reviewer, top pick list etc is/was plasma. First Kuro now the zt60.

If you want to use that line of thought, then we can say that the PC vs Mac was won long ago (back in the late eighties). The PC was by far the better computer hands down and so there is no need to even bother looking at current generations because innovation and new technology can't change anything.

Plasma has improved. So has LED. I will say that out of the box, plasma does have a better picture. The backs are blacker, the white is whiter. But use it for 2-3 years and then compare it with what it was like. The blacks are no longer as black. The white has turned into a more creamy colour. So if you want to replace the TV every 18-24 months, then you will by far have a much better picture. But is has better off axis viewing. Better in a brighter lit room. Faster colour change. Great TV. I have no problems with saying it.

I do have a problem with all the false bashing of LCD that has zero base in facts. if you want to make a broad statement, then it better have something to back it up other that hearsay and just because someone said it on the internet it must be true.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
INANE #405178 06/07/14 05:49 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
You mad? Whos bashing?

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard