Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Dolby Atmos: Will it get traction??
Gr8_White_North #405902 07/01/14 05:04 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I refuse to listen to real birds, and only listen to good recordings of them via my Axioms. smile

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
nickbuol #405931 07/03/14 06:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

TVs with curved screens is 100% snake oil marketing crap.

Actually one benefit of a curved screen is a reduction in reflections. You decrease the area of the screen that acts like a mirror because of the changed angle.
It wouldn't be 100%, but definitely better vs. a perfectly flat tv surface.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Gr8_White_North #405945 07/04/14 04:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
So less reflections is better than distorted image? If you think about it, it is actually MORE susceptible to reflections. A flat screen reflects from directly behind the seating area when sitting straight on, and then sure, if you have a window on the extreme right or left, light you get that one reflection there too. With a curved screen, you are actually allowing for a much larger set of reflection points throughout your entire room.

There is a graphic online with some drawn reflections to show that a curved screen has more reflection points. I will see if I can find it.

Here is a link to one article about curved screens:
Curved Screen TVs - What you need to know

As you can see, a lot of the "sales pitch" stuff isn't actually real or true.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #405947 07/04/14 05:56 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
As we all know, recently AVRs having been getting more innovative and more complex and most of the public out there don't want to cope with "complicated".

nickbuol #405957 07/04/14 06:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
So less reflections is better than distorted image?

Nick, if they took a globe and flattened it out, it also looks distorted.
I would have assumed that in making a curved screen, the stretch algorithms would compensate for this. Otherwise the flattened globe effect would present itself so horribly that no one would want to buy such a tv.

Quote:
If you think about it, it is actually MORE susceptible to reflections.

Actually, no. You would need multiple light sources at increasingly off angles to the screen to have an increased effect. Most people have one window opposing or to the 90 degree right/left of a tv to which they have a complaint about flat screens.
With a curved screen, a 90 degree left/right situation works a world better.

Quote:

Here is a link to one article about curved screens:
Curved Screen TVs - What you need to know

I don't assume that everything one reads on the internet is true. About.com is presenting one opinion (with a confidence reducing typo at that), not representing an absolute fact based article and indications of this person's bias against the concept based on recent increased recent marketing.
"So, there you have it, my perspective on the whole curved screen TV push as of the 2104-2015 time frame."

I'm sure there is an equally opposing article out there where someone states a differing opinion.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Gr8_White_North #405960 07/04/14 10:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I looked at the curved screen tv for a bit today, picture quality was good. Didn't think to look for any distortion.

Gr8_White_North #405965 07/06/14 03:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I just linked one source of review (and yes, some opinion) but there is just as much other sources of this perspective as there is the other touting how cool the new TVs are. But if you use the argument that what I posted is "found on the internet" and therefor can't be true, then I guess that everything on the internet is false, including this post that I am making and everything else here.

Even reliable sources at AVS (wow, you don't hear that very often) say that the curve does absolutely nothing to aid in the picture and it is a gimmick marketing tool only.

The curves aren't as extreme as a globe, so that isn't a great analogy, but I understand what you are saying. I never said that it was great distortion like curving around a globe, but many sources talk about distortion. I mean, how do you take an image that is filmed flat and designed for a flat screen and curve it without distortion? Unless the screen not only curves, but also tapers as you move from the middle towards the edge, there is no real way to not distort the image. If the TV 32" tall in the middle, it is also 32" tall on each of the ends. The only way to account for the curve bringing the image closer is to actually reduce the left and right edge from the 32" in the middle down to something like 30" - 31" or something (probably actually less than 1") depending on the degree of curve. Until the TVs also taper towards the edges, you will see distortion when sitting straight on. However, if you sit to the left or right of center, then you will see the tapered edges, so that won't work.

Take a piece of paper and sketch a picture of some sort, top to bottom and edge to edge. Now curve the paper, and the image distorts. So how do you get the edges that curve towards you to not distort? All that an "algorithm" can do is shrink the images as they approach the edges, and that is the same as tapering the screen itself.

Another thing is that you can't sit as far to the side as you can with a flat TV because at some point you will be seeing the edge or even the back of one sides of the TV since that side is curved and thus exposing the back. Now, would anyone sit that far to the side? Who knows. I am sitting at my in-laws right now at the fairly extreme right of their TV in their living room. The TV is on and I can see everything without seeing the edge or back of the TV. Now, again, there is distortion with a flat panel too. Hmm...

So until we can change the laws of physics in regards to light, we are screwed either way.

What DOES help is that the screens are 4K or UHD. This usually means better contrast, brightness, and color control, but that has nothing to do with curves.

If you want to spend your money because a screen is curved then I won't stop you. Heck, I won't make fun of anyone that does. It is, after all, your money and if you think it is better, great. Just like speakers, there is a lot of subjectivity to it.

Now if I was in the market for a 4K or UHD TV, and I could find a decent flat screen, that is where I would look first. Then again, I am also the eternal pessimist and I am overly skeptical about slick marketing. That is also why I will never own Apple products, BOSE anything, or Monster Cables. I don't like their deceptive marketing, or they way that they make you feel like if you don't have the latest product that you are "lame" and "uncool." Give me a superior product, and you won't have to add gimmicks and market them as advancements or put in inferior components and brag that they are for the purist.

So we disagree, and that is fine. I still "like and respect" you even if you don't have the same attitude towards me.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #405966 07/06/14 04:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Some interesting snippits from C|NET and Computerworld articles when searching Google for "curved tv". Nothing else in the search good or bad... Then again, these ARE posted on the internet, so who knows if you can trust them. wink

----------------------------From Computerworld ( Curved screen TVs expected to flatten out ):

"You see a whole load of pseudo-scientific claims that get made for why curved TVs are a good thing. I think they're designed to bamboozle," said Paul Gray, director of European TV Research for DisplaySearch.

Gray and others see a saturated TV market that's not growing, so manufacturers are scrambling for the next gimmick to spur sales.

Indeed, movie theaters, such as IMAX 3D, use curved screens to correct for the distortions caused by images projected to a large size and in wide formats like 23:9 Cinemascope. With a flat screen, light projecting from a lens would have to travel farther to the edges of a screen. But, the curve-screen benefits for a movie theater don't translate to a 65-in. television, Gray said.
As Samsung states in its marketing material, "you get a perfect view from any angle."

On the contrary, Gray and others say curved-screen TVs only offer someone sitting at the center axis of the TV a great picture. Anyone sitting at right or left angles will have a markedly distorted view.

"There is definitely a reduced viewing angle in terms of other people in the room who are not sitting in the sweet spot," Gray said.
--------------------------------------
From the C|NET article about after trading out a plasma TV for a curved one at the 2-week of in home use ( My life with a curved TV Week 2 ) :

First, I want my plasma back, but for reasons that have little to do with geometry. I mostly miss its superior picture quality, particularly for off-angle viewing and uniformity.

Second, despite the radical-looking shape of the new TV, the curve doesn't have much effect -- positive or negative -- on me and my family's enjoyment of TV shows, movies and games.

...watching a curved TV is a lot like watching a flat one. In fact, the curve has much less of an impact on our daily enjoyment of boob tubery than I anticipated.

On most material, I simply don't notice it. The curve is subtle enough, and the geometric distortions it causes are gentle enough, to basically not register with most of the programming I've watched. Usually I forget I'm watching anything other than a standard TV that's almost as good as the one I'm used to watching.

From my sweet spot on the couch, seated about 10.5 feet from the apex of the curve, the shape of the screen has a slight bowtie or pincushion look: the edges seem a bit larger than the middle. The shape is made more obvious compared to the straight lines of my entertainment cabinet and a window frame directly above the TV.

When I notice the bowtie shape again, it's usually when horizontal lines from graphical elements appear on-screen. Examples include the program guide from my TiVo, a ticker along the bottom of on the screen during any number of sports or news shows, lines on a tennis court, and other similar elements from video games. Rows of words on the screen also cause the curve to be noticeable.

Moving off-angle, and viewing horizontal lines, increases the visibility of distortions.

When I moved from the sweet spot the distortions grew. From my room's furthest-flung TV-watching spot, a chair to the right of my sectional, the curve was a lot more noticeable. The near edge seemed larger than it should be, and the middle to far middle seemed too small, before growing again at the far edge.
-----------------------------

So on and so forth.

So I see no real measurable benefit to the curved screen and neither do they in those articles. There is talk of less reflections, but that seems to be more from the change in screen material from a super reflective plasma screen to the matte curve than geometry. It is supposed to take an OLED screen, which is curved more than other technologies, to actually curve out reflections, but then you have even more distortion.

Those were the two major articles that came up on the first page of search results that weren't at a manufacturer's or retailer's website.

There is also Do you need a curved tv where it is all quotes from a manufacturer and talks about how nice the higher resolution is, and in the end, even after all of the marketing quotes, they say that the curve at least doesn't "get in the way" not that it makes it better at all.

Here is a C|NET video where the title says it all: Curved TV a flat out gimmick

4K and UHD is great, but just give me a nice flat screen please.... Unless the screen is really large (70"+) for my living room.

We got on to this topic as some sidetrack from the Atmos topic. I am fine with moving back to the subject whenever others are.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #405971 07/06/14 06:53 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Curved screens were made for projected images to reduce pin cushion is the corners. They are trying to capitalize on a idea from an entirely different technology. Just another gimmick , same as the car manufacturers do and it becomes a "so me " tech. The sales are down on flat panels etc now they are reaching for something to keep sales moving but they will never reach that fevered pace they were once at. I put atmos directly in that category, it sounds like a great idea but not worth the trouble.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #405972 07/06/14 07:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I personally didn't think the screen was all that curved. I get the feeling people may be overstating it. It was a bit gimocy though, like the before mentioned sales tactic. I need to take the time and watch one a bit longer and be more observant next time. Just to report how I think it looks.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters