Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Audioholics Video
Crimson Wrath #406059 07/11/14 04:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ha HA nick that reminds when I used to play counterstrike years ago and people would report others to the admin LOL

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Crimson Wrath #406065 07/11/14 03:28 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I received a pm from gene for something I posted here regarding another video. It was about the loudspeaker myths vid where he refers to "Z100" speakers as an imaginary example. I quipped about his vague jabs at axiom. He was not amused.

I'll probably be banned at audioholics due to this post. I wonder why Clint Deboer was banned there. He was a nice and helpful staffer at AH.

Crimson Wrath #406068 07/11/14 05:13 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
In that article, I was of the opinion that 2 of the so-called 'myths' - 'Manufacturers building their own Drivers In-House' & 'Manufacturers having an In-House Anechoic Chamber - were certainly a stretch & another veiled shot. In fact, I would think that having both of those capabilities would be most advantageous for quality control & ongoing research on site. Not many manufacturers have this capability, especially with regards to having a full size chamber in your own back yard.

Unfortunately, after much deliberation, I failed to grow a pair & could not bring myself to rebut those weakest of arguments over there...

TAM

exlabdriver #406069 07/11/14 05:25 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
In that article, I was of the opinion that 2 of the so-called 'myths' - 'Manufacturers building their own Drivers In-House' & 'Manufacturers having an In-House Anechoic Chamber - were certainly a stretch & another veiled shot. In fact, I would think that having both of those capabilities would be most advantageous for quality control & ongoing research on site. Not many manufacturers have this capability, especially with regards to having a full size chamber in your own back yard.

Unfortunately, after much deliberation, I failed to grow a pair & could not bring myself to rebut those weakest of arguments over there...

TAM

I am curious enough about this to go search for the mentioned myths video. While I do, could someone please provide a link if you have it handy?

Crimson Wrath #406070 07/11/14 06:34 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E

Crimson Wrath #406071 07/11/14 06:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There's a response from gene over at the AVS forum to the criticism's of his video. Gene's Reply

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Crimson Wrath #406078 07/12/14 02:04 AM
C
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
C
I like to read a lot on the Audioholics forums and have learned quite a bit from there. Gene seems like a very experience fellow in the field with an EE degree (he seems to like to bring that up often) but people skills are definitely something he seems to lack. If he had a business such as a speaker or other audio related business that required more customer service than runing Audioholics, I don't think he could involve himself much in the customer service aspect as he'd end up insulting or ostracizing the customers. That's typical of highly technical engineering professions I guess though.

M60|VP150|2xQS8|PSA XS30+Epik Empire|Pioneer Kuro 6010FD|PS3|Denon AVR-X4000|Parasound 5250v.2|
Crimson Wrath #406120 07/14/14 03:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Crimson Wrath
Gene seems like a very experience fellow in the field with an EE degree (he seems to like to bring that up often).

Has he ever designed anything, or worked as an EE for a quantifiable amount of time? All of us know you go to college to get the basics and the piece of paper, then you learn the real skillset in industry..

I would trust Andrew infinitely more than Gene. While both have the same education (EE) one is a practicing engineer, while the other appears not to be...

I also noticed Gene throwing his education around.. I know several people with an EE degree that i correct on electrical theory all of the time. But, thats because i was in that field and know the practical application as well as theory, they know the math and think they know the theory..

Man, at this rate i'll probably never be aloud to register at audioholics should i want to... Oh well.

Crimson Wrath #406121 07/14/14 04:32 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
If my memory serves me right, he did work as an EE on some pretty complex stuff for defense contractors for the better part of a decade.

He is very experienced in his field but I don't know about any work directly with designing or building speakers, although he may have...

TAM

Crimson Wrath #406123 07/14/14 04:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FWIW I recall reading his bio and he has plenty of design experience. I get what you are saying , its what I call book smart vs street smart. I am not an EE but I have to agree to some extent with his early observation , that bouncing the sound off the ceiling is dubious. Physic's it just works. I also question the necessity of overhead information. Have you ever heard an airplane going over you head , and then having to search the sky for it, or a bird for that matter, I hear it but can not immediately pin point its location. Our hearing is designed to detect predators not little birdies.

Lets be clear, I am not defending gene just pointing out my opinion and how I see things at this time. Gene has some work to do on his tact and people skills in general.
Richard

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020