Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Stupid Room Tricks
bridgman #407385 09/22/14 09:12 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The worst part is that I had a can of (oil-based) "Professional" Varathane in my hand at the store, but that got me thinking about consumer marketing people who put the word "Professional" on cheap junk (since any problems customers encounter with the cheap stuff can be blamed on them not having the specialized knowledge to use it correctly) so I put the "Professional" can back on the shelf and bought the regular (water-based) stuff instead.

<insert sound of head banging on amber-hued pine>

Last edited by bridgman; 09/22/14 09:17 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
AAAA #407386 09/22/14 11:07 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
When you added the roxul centered behind the speakers, it centered the phantom image better for you I understand, an overall improvement in image specificity. Did it have any effect on the depth of the soundstage? Ie did it make the soundstage extend back less in your opinion?

OK, that was interesting. The panel only had an easy-to-notice effect on instruments with prominent highs, so I tested with the first track from "Metheny Mehldau", guitar and piano. Guessing the percussive nature of the instruments helped as well.

Removing the panel made everything seem more intense & detailed, but also seemed to shift the soundstage a couple of feet further away from me, as if the instruments were level with the window pane rather than with the speakers. I didn't like the effect, so I put the panel back and after some side-to-side experimentation ended up with it in the same spot as before. Oddly enough when I centered the panel between the speakers it seemed to make the room too "dead". I was walking around shaking my head at how much of a difference one panel could make.

On a positive note, I'm finally happy enough with the room (if not with the colour of the speaker stands) that I'm going to stop tinkering for a while and listen to music instead shocked

Last edited by bridgman; 09/22/14 11:51 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #407387 09/23/14 12:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The only part i didn't understand was this:

Originally Posted By: bridgman

All Canadian orders ship from our local Markham Ontario warehouse for the fastest possible shipping time throughout Canada. Most orders are shipped through FedEx with our freight partners delivering our largest Ported Box subwoofers.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
bridgman #407388 09/23/14 12:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite

I put a coat of varathane on the stands last night but it didn't warm up the colour the way I was expecting. Apparently (based on research done *after* applying the finish) oil-based poly finishes dry with an amber hue but water-based finishes dry clear... and all the other pine in the room has an oil-based finish.

Did I mention "Bah !!" ?

I've used both but unfortunately my experience only extends to "outdoor" poly (both oil and water based). Both left that amber hue (which i didn't want) on cedar. I understand that this comes from the UV protectant however the marketing on the side of the water based poly specifically stated it wouldn't change the wood colour.
Ummm, ya.
Sell me another ice cube i guess.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #407389 09/23/14 01:24 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
I've used both but unfortunately my experience only extends to "outdoor" poly (both oil and water based). Both left that amber hue (which i didn't want) on cedar. I understand that this comes from the UV protectant however the marketing on the side of the water based poly specifically stated it wouldn't change the wood colour.

Guess I should have bought whatever you bought. Turns out mine was outdoor anyways -- Varathane Diamond Coat Outdoor Satin.

Originally Posted By: chesseroo
The only part i didn't understand was this:

All Canadian orders ship from our local Markham Ontario warehouse for the fastest possible shipping time throughout Canada. Most orders are shipped through FedEx with our freight partners delivering our largest Ported Box subwoofers.

Huh, wonder what was supposed to be there ? I noticed a forum thread on CanuckAudioMart talking about SVS shipping directly to Canada, and nobody seemed to get that they had probably just partnered with ElectronicsForLess / SonicBoomAudio (their previous dealer) and were handling ordering/billing through the SVS site now and having SBA handle fulfillment. I think the text was quoted from the SVS site -- no idea why I selected it though...

One of life's little mysteries.

Last edited by bridgman; 09/23/14 01:30 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #407397 09/23/14 06:53 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite

OK, think I figured it out last night. There's a bit too much absorption on the right wall, and I was compensating for it by having the front wall absorption offset to the left. Problem is that the results varied depending on the amount of high frequency content, since AFAICS only the high frequencies reflect off the window behind the speakers.

Guess the next step would be to try removing the panel to the immediate right of the listening position (partially cut off in the pic above) then moving the panel on the front wall a bit to the right.

Last edited by bridgman; 09/23/14 07:07 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #407400 09/23/14 10:26 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Removing the panel on the right was too much. I tried a few combinations, including having two rigid panels in various positions against the "front wall" window, and ended up with something simple -- moving both panels (arrow and X) about 6" to the right. That seemed to balance the reflected sound a bit more consistently. All of the other options seemed significantly worse.

Putting two panels on the front wall rather than one made a big difference -- basically all the instruments in the middle of the soundscape stayed there but seemed really quiet. The instruments were still loud, but the impression of the instrument in a specific spot was much reduced. Not good. Maybe that's why the general recommendation is absorption on the back wall and diffusion on the front.

The interesting thing was that having an alternating mix of reflection and absorption really made a difference -- too much absorption in one place made for a really dead sound. In one sense this is a seriously black art, but the general guidelines from acoustic treatment vendor sites and forums seem to work really well.

AFAICS the complexity comes from the fact that the system is off to one side rather than being centered in the room. In my previous system setups (all centered in the room) getting the acoustics right has been much less work... but that was in another century.

Last edited by bridgman; 09/23/14 10:42 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #407405 09/24/14 05:10 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Out of curiosity, what are your test tracks that you've been using for all of this trial and error?

bridgman #407406 09/24/14 06:09 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B

Have you considered removing the coffee table, at least temporarily?

CV #407407 09/24/14 08:57 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CV
Out of curiosity, what are your test tracks that you've been using for all of this trial and error?

Pretty much every CD in the carousel (maybe 150 disks) -- room testing seems to need a wider range of tracks than speaker testing, at least if you're learning as you go like I am. I'm not using LPs much because the CDP's remote control and ability to replay sections over and over is really useful.

When I was trying to get the bass smoothed out I was using the first part of "Echoes" from Meddle and "On The Run" from DSOTM along with "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" from Foxtrot, but when I was playing with reflected higher notes I started with Metheny/Mehldau then settled on isolated vocal tracks, eg the opening bars of "Dancing with the Moonlit Night" from SEBTP. There's a bit of an edge on Peter Gabriel's vocals at the start of the song and that seems to hit all the right frequencies for adjusting reflections from the front wall window.

The pattern is basically "get it right, listen to a bunch of tracks, realize it's not right yet, tweak using the track that identified the problem, repeat ad nauseum" interspersed with periods of "forget about all that stuff and just enjoy the music".

One odd/neat thing is that I'm starting to get an overwhelming "yeah, that's what it's supposed to sound like" feeling as the room & speaker placement gets into "good enough" territory. It's been ~25 years since I've been able to sit back and just be aware of the music, not the system that provides it.

Originally Posted By: brwsaw
Have you considered removing the coffee table, at least temporarily?

Thanks for the reminder. I had tried removing the coffee table a couple of months back and it didn't make a lot of difference at the time (although it was covered with so much junk I guess it was pretty stealthy) but when I moved it over to the right hand wall tonight there was a small but noticeable difference.

I ended up moving the coffee table out of the listening area completely. I'm not sure it improved the imaging but it somehow made the sense of "ambience" seem less disturbed. On the downside, in a sense all that did is expose the next problem -- the overstuffed arms on the couch in the listening position.

Guess replacing the seating is next on the hit list, although the room is getting good enough that the position of my own arms is starting to make a noticeable difference smile

Last edited by bridgman; 09/24/14 09:22 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,463
Members15,617