Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Subwoofer cable/connection advice
#408802 12/14/14 05:24 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The low-level RCA input and output connectors on my EP500 amplifier have come loose and the input connector is no longer working (unless I apply constant pressure to it to make a connection). So I'm trying to determine the best way to address this issue so that I can continue to use my sub. I have three options and was wondering what the forum members thought would be the best option, keeping cost in mind.

1. Purchase a new EP500 amplifier from Axiom and continue to use the RCA input from my receiver with the new amplifier. I have ~$130 in referral credits at Axiom - can I use this credit for a subwoofer amp or does it need to be used on a new product? I originally purchased the EP500 V2 but I had to swap out the amplifier under warranty for a bad volume gain so I'm not sure if I have a V2 or V3 amplifier. How much would a new EP500 amplifier cost? Would a V4 amplifier be compatible with my V2 enclosure/driver?

2. Purchase a 10-15 foot RCA-to-XLR cable and connect the RCA subwoofer out from my receiver to the XLR input on the sub amp. I suspect this might work but I'm not certain if there would be any line level impedance/voltage differences that would cause an issue. And I'm not certain if I need to convert the unbalanced RCA output to a balanced XLR input and this cable is simply an unbalanced RCA-to-XLR connection. This option should be the cheapest as I'm just buying a cable (maybe $10-40).

3. Purchase something like the ART CleanBox Pro RCA-to-XLR unbalanced-to-balanced converter. I already have a long 15 ft XLR cable that I used with my previous receiver that had XLR sub outputs. This seems like it would work and would likely cost between $70-100 depending on where I can find it in Canada. My only concern is whether or not adding an active converter would mess with the frequency response between 18-80 Hz. I do use Audyssey Room Correction (MultiEQ XT32) in my receiver which could compensate for some of the frequency attenuation (if it occurs).

Anyways - just wondering what some of the forum members think of these options. I'm planning on calling Axiom customer service tomorrow to get some advice as well.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Re: Subwoofer cable/connection advice
icehawk21 #408810 12/14/14 08:53 PM
Z
old hand
old hand
Z
Hi icehawk21

If it were me I'd go with option #2. Since you're already using the RCA connection using a RCA to XLR cable will not be any different.

It's the cheapest solution and it'll work just like it is now.

But I'd still check with Axiom as to whether you could replace or fix your current Sub's input.

Last edited by zuter; 12/14/14 08:53 PM.

M80's, VP180 and QS8's.
Marantz AV 7005 pre/pro
Outlaw 7700 power amp
SVS SB12 sub
Re: Subwoofer cable/connection advice
icehawk21 #408820 12/15/14 04:15 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Bryan, although you say that both the RCA input and output connectors have come loose, you don't indicate if the output connector can still work. The input and output form an internal "Y", and the output leg(if not similarly damaged)serves equally well as an input. If you haven't tried this, do so.

If this doesn't work, purchase the RCA to XLR plug cable. This shouldn't run more than $5-$10 from a source such as Monoprice. There's no "conversion" that takes place; it simply allows the unbalanced output from the receiver to be fed into the sub XLR input and to operate normally in the unbalanced mode.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020