Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Full Metal Bracket with M22/VP150?
#409362 01/10/15 06:40 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Looking at streamlining the new theater room. E.G. getting everything up off the floor (no speaker stands).

Thinking about using the Full Metal Bracket for my M22 L/R and VP150 center. The bracket is rated for way more weight than the VP150 weighs. What concerns me is the single mounting screw. The VP150 is long and due to the single screw, it could "see-saw" left and right. Not good.

Most probably I will go with a wall-mounted shelf under the screen for the VP150.

I welcome your ideas, please. smile

Re: Full Metal Bracket with M22/VP150?
michaeld #409366 01/11/15 01:52 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I wouldn't.
You won't have the freedom to place them where the sound best in the room, I doubt it's inches from the wall.
If you do please post pictures, I'd like to see it. I've always been a fan of minimalist installations.

michaeld #409371 01/11/15 05:52 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Well, the L/C/R speakers typically flank/go directly under the screen. Not sure what you mean by "placing them where they sound best in the room."

I have stands that I made long ago...I believe they are 18 inches high. They are sand-filled and work great...but they are still stands sitting on the floor.

I could use the stands first, to perform a "listening test" to see how far away from the sides of the screen they should be and then mount them to the wall. That's one idea, no?

The FMB does tilt L/R and Up/Down...that would help too. Thoughts?

michaeld #409373 01/11/15 09:56 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Maybe someone else could provide an opinion. I don't have direct experience with the M22.

michaeld #409374 01/11/15 02:40 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Brwsaw is referring to the affect speaker placement has on the overall performance of the system soundwise.

If you are strictly HT centric, and run auto eq etc, what you are planning to do is probably more than fine. Colorations from near wall placement will be handled in the AVR.

Lately we have been on the topic of speaker placement here. There are many factors that contribute to the end result in a listening experience. Speaker placement and flexibility is key to getting every last ounce of performance from a given system. Room setup/acoustics are another.

If tweaking and chasing perfection are of interest to you, a fixed installation is a bad idea. Otherwise, set it and enjoy it. smile

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 01/11/15 02:43 PM. Reason: Affect vs effect. For Bob ;)
michaeld #409384 01/11/15 09:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry to jump in, but I used a FMB to mount my VP150 when I first set it up. Worked fine until I moved my theater. Seems pretty solid actually. The biggest issue what that I was mounting everything to fit under a soffit that was there for duct work, so I had to cram everything as close to the ceiling as possible and it made messing with it a bit tricky just to get it mounted the first time.
I put it above my screen back then:

After that, when I moved into a different room, I just made a little shelf below the screen. I liked the way it sounded a little better too. Picture is dark, but you can see it under the screen (it is on a shelf, trust me).

And now I have a VP180 on a custom built (yeah, that means DIY) stand that is behind by current screen so that it is in line with the tweeters of my front mains and directly behind the main part of the screen where it should be. Picture below was before I took down the screen to install them.

But yes, the FMB can successfully (and without concern) hold a VP150.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
michaeld #409387 01/11/15 11:51 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thank you, Serenity_Now and nickbuol.It's great to see actual pictures of a VP150 mounted on the wall/FMB.

NICKBUOL: Did the VP150 have any left-right/seesaw motion from just the one mounting screw? If the bracket had protruding "nibs" on the left/right of the screw that fit into corresponding recesses on the speaker, I wouldn't be worried...but it does not. And your stands are great; I'm all about DIY for most things...except things like metal mounting brackets, obviously.

And I'm glad you brought up boundary/placement, Serenity_Now, because that was going to be my next thread.

Axiom sells port plugs now and my M22s are rear-ported. If they are mounted 1" from the wall it would probably be a bad idea to leave the port open. Should I plug the ports and let the AVR do it's thing with the crossover frequency and tuning? I have a sub, so the ability of the front 3 to reproduce low bass isn't an issue.

I should also probably add that I will be treating the room to an extent. Thick curtains on the rear wall and homemade acoustic panels on the walls. That will certainly help the acoustics in the room.

Last edited by michaeld; 01/11/15 11:56 PM.
michaeld #409396 01/12/15 02:38 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Members here have experimented with treatments and speaker positioning extensively. A guilty party here.... laugh

If you are going the treatment route there are a few active here with the ability and zeal to help you out. We like pictures.... wink

I cant comment on ports near walls in M22s. Smaller speakers like bookshelves are probably more tolerant than floorstanders at lower frquencies, but both will suffer in the frequency range of human voices. Both of these are readily fixed if you are willing to eq.

I used to have a shelf mounted center under a screen much like Nick and the performance was still very respectable.

michaeld #409397 01/12/15 02:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I wouldn't say that it would "see-saw" but you could adjust its angle slightly when tightened. It takes a couple of muscles to move it once mounted, but not a lot of muscle. Bumping it with your head might shift it a small amount, but nothing catastrophic and maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch depending on how big of a bump you have on your head. LOL

Farewell - June 4, 2020
michaeld #409449 01/13/15 04:17 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks for the additional info. It's good to know the VP150 doesn't "see saw" on the full metal bracket. I do need to take a careful look at the bracket to see how much up/down angle adjustment there is.

My center channel will be mounted in the usual under-the-screen location. I don't have an exact measurement yet for where the bottom of the screen will be, but I am thinking I may need more upward-angle on the bracket than it can provide. So, the VP150 on the FMB is a maybe at this point, but I'm pretty much sold on putting the M22s on the FMB...assuming plugging the port for HT duty would be OK. I can't remember off the top of my head what frequency the port tunes the cabinet to, but I'm betting it's lower than the 100Hz or 80Hz the AVR will set the crossover at....or I can just set the L/C/R at 80Hz and be done with it.

More thought needs to go into this, I know, but those are my thoughts at this time.

As for the room treatments; as I stated, I won't be going nuts with it and RTA sweeping the room from 32 different positions. I'll treat the whole rear of the room with curtains, then panels at the first reflection points and probably call it good. (Sacrilege, I know). There will be carpet on the floor and possibly a thick throw rug under the first row of seating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters