Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Paradigm studio Front and Axiom for surround.
#409395 01/12/15 01:57 AM
S
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
Hi Guys,

Hope you had great holidays and I wish you all happy new years. I have something to admit.... smile. In december some of you helped me a lot taking decision whether or not going with axiom. I finally choose to try the axiom M60 and honestly they sounded very good. They didn't disapoint at all. I can say without being an audiophile that some track I was used was sometimes different and yes some cd sounded better than others. I started to try buying cd to replace mp3 collection and yes there was difference between poor quality mp3 and let say an apple ACC 256kbps track. Movies sounded good also. In sumarry I was having fun... Then something happen during the christmas vacation.... I was going to keep them. A friend that had Studio line paradigm( approx 1 yo) was going to upgrade to paradigm signature... So after a chat with him he made me an offer I couldn't refuse smile . At the end I have the Studio 60(1 yo) for 300$ less than the axiom M60 (include the cost of the return). One thing I was able to compare them again. I don't prettend being an expert but in most case paradigm and axiom sounded very similar to my ear in my environment. Sometimes I was preffering the axiom or either the paradigm with different track there and there but if it would not have been of that "special circonstance offer" I would have pick axiom anytime for the normal price difference. Again thanks a lot for everyone that helped me.

However I need some advice for the surround. My friend sold me also the Paradigm Studio Center. But I don't have any surround yet. Paradigm studio surround are very expensive that's the trade off I guess the day I chose to go in that line.:( MSRP is 999$/each After contacting few store I can have them with 25-30% rebate) But it's still 1500$ plus taxe ouch....

But I thought there is the nice Axiom QS8 that seems to be very appreciated in general. I could also go with Paradigm monitor the line under the studio(reference.) So it's with the same brand. But honestly I more tented to go with the Axiom QS8 than paradigm monitor. After reading on the topic there seems to have 2 school of though. Some say keep everything the same brand, same line (except the sub). They seems more purist. Another way is mainly focus on the 3 front(L-C-R) being the same line & brand but the surround it's less important.

What do you guys think of let say Paradigm StudioFront (L-C-R) coupled with Axiom QS8?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Paradigm studio Front and Axiom for surround.
storm266 #409398 01/12/15 02:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Storm , you only need to be concerned about keepin the front 3 the same. You will be fine using another brand for surrounds.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
storm266 #409400 01/12/15 04:07 AM
shareholder in the making
Simon, if the surrounds were grossly different in sound quality compared to the front speakers there'd be cause for concern. Since you found the M60s to be similar to the Paradigm Studios for the most part, however, you'd find that the QS8s would likewise be a close match.

The QS8s will give you excellent surround effects.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #409414 01/12/15 09:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Simon. Congratulations on the Studio 60s. The Studio line does sound and Axioms do sound a lot alike. Did you end up with a wood finish?

I'm sure you will be very happy with an Axiom surround to fill out your system.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
storm266 #409416 01/12/15 09:58 PM
What Fred Said.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
storm266 #409421 01/12/15 10:07 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
FWIW I've always desired a system with matching components or at least from the same product line/brand the same brand. When I was younger this included the source components.
While its not really necessary it seemed to make sense.

storm266 #409433 01/13/15 12:07 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
congratulations on your paradigm studio speakers. I was seriously considering buying a set of them (well the Studio 100's) but the cost difference between them and the Axiom M80's was huge. I also found the M80's did sound better than what I remember about the Studio 100's but never had the option to try them at my own home. I too did end up however returning the M80's and I ended up with the LFR1100's.

As for your surrounds. There are two school's of thought with your surround sound.

in a 5.1 setting, your surround sound speakers are really mixed for ambient non directional sound. Like a bullet wizzing past you from behind. You can tell it's from the left behind you, but exact placement is not possible nor really wanted. The surround is a large soundstage there to add effect and not the point of focus.

But it seems that now they are trying to change that thought and have everything really directional. Where they will tie sounds into a location and having a wide soundstage speaker will just muddy the effect.

Personally I like the more defuse and so I went with a set of the QS8 speakers. I have had small directional speakers for the longest time and find it too distracting and quite often the sound is bordering on unbelievable as the sound that should be all over is too dominant on one side or another. With too directional a speaker you have a smaller sweet spot to sit and if your room is like many, and have a larger couch and want to watch with your family, then someone is going to be sat too near to a directional surround speaker and the effect gets lost for them.

Last edited by oakvillematt; 01/13/15 12:09 AM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
storm266 #409437 01/13/15 12:18 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I have heard Paradigm speakers and I love my QS8's. Think they are very compatible.

I would keep the L-C-R as identical as possible, though.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #409442 01/13/15 02:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh yeah, pictures or it isn't true. smile

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
storm266 #409602 01/19/15 02:20 AM
S
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
Hi,

Thanks a lot guys for your help. Sorry for the delay I was very busy this week. I think I will follow your recommandation and try the QS8,

thx

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters