Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Real granite vs. manufactured "quartz" countertops
chesseroo #410030 02/05/15 12:55 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Guinness is brewed to dozens of recipes in dozens of countries all over the world. It's not even intended to be the same here as in Ireland. It's the Bose of beer.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
chesseroo #410036 02/05/15 01:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I like the Guiness Draught we get locally, it's just when you compare it to the Cobblestone, it's very watery and less flavourful despite the similar taste. I wouldn't pass on it though. Also, not that it matters, the nitrogen charge in the Mill St is attached to the bottom of the can vs the floating ping pong ball in the Guiness. If you like your beer at room temp though, I've heard the bottom charge can be messy when you open the can...not a problem for me since I refrigerate mine.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
tomtuttle #410044 02/05/15 05:15 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Guinness is brewed to dozens of recipes in dozens of countries all over the world. It's not even intended to be the same here as in Ireland. It's the Bose of beer.

Have you had it in the UK?

tomtuttle #410045 02/05/15 05:43 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

This is likely true for alot of beers.
Friend of mine worked for one of the big Canadian brewers decades back. He once told me that Canadian would taste like Blue in BC, or something to that effect.
There is apparent 'adjusting' in the brewing to be competitive in delivering a beer preferred by local palates.

Either way, i think i'll be drinking ours with a real granite counter (about 90% decided now).

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/05/15 05:44 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
michael_d #410067 02/07/15 12:14 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Have you had it in the UK?

Unfortunately, no. I don't dislike Guinness; my point was that their corporate structure isn't really even TRYING to make the product that we get here taste exactly the same as the one you'd get in a pub in the UK. Their overwhelming, modern worldwide success is as much a function of marketing prowess as it is brewing competence.

Quote:
Either way, i think i'll be drinking ours with a real granite counter (about 90% decided now).

VERY GOOD! That's my preference, but only because I just really like the idea of slices of rocks as a countertop.

Cheers, friends.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
chesseroo #410072 02/07/15 07:58 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Hijacking your thread because my kitchen countertop is one of the last major decisions I need to make. Anyone have any experience with the newfangled Dekton Ultra Compact surfaces? I'm still probably going to end up with laminate to keep costs down and not be so paranoid about damaging it, but it's always fun to discuss the options. My dad thinks I should pay the extra and get real stone of some kind, so it wouldn't be impossible to be talked into it.

So who's the happiest with their countertop, and how many years into it are you?

CV #410073 02/07/15 12:03 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll go laminate this time around, and when it comes time to replace it, I imagine the options for Dekton will have increased by a lot, and hopefully the price will have come down.

CV #410075 02/07/15 03:14 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CV
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll go laminate this time around, and when it comes time to replace it, I imagine the options for Dekton will have increased by a lot, and hopefully the price will have come down.

That surface looks about as expensive as the manufactured quartz would be, based on the description of how it is made.
Laminate is certainly ok and durable, but as much as some ppl say they have great patterns today, all i saw at the local stores was junk. Nothing looked at all 'real' and most patterns were hideous, almost as if stores don't carry simple whites anymore for the sake of being trendy.

The plus with countertops is they can be replaced fairly easily with minor disruption to the rest of the room so if you decide in the future to get real stone or something else, switching out the melamine wouldn't be difficult and would only take a few hours for installation.
However, why spend money now and spend money again later?
Just buy what you prefer, now, once.

chesseroo #410082 02/07/15 05:51 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
As I said before above - our Quartz in 3 bathrooms & large kitchen has been flawless over 2+ years. Unless it is abused, it will last forever.

Find a pattern you like & be done with it...

TAM

chesseroo #410083 02/07/15 06:33 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
What i find kind of odd is how many of these companies will not give you a sample to take home so you can compared and see it in your actual house.
I'm not saying you would keep the sample, but just to even get a sample from a company to which you've committed to buying the product is like pulling teeth. You would think that with all the cutouts from kitchen sinks they would have tons of samples available for customers.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020