Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Fabric for room treatment
#410226 02/14/15 01:20 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Tomorrow I am building a couple of frames for some wall treatments. I am going to look around town but I have a pretty specific idea of what I want as far as a pattern. I am not into flowers and unicorns, I want something music related. I will look around town tomorrow but I fear the selection will be limited. What I need to know is if I order online what sort of fabric am I looking for, I don't want burlap lol. Is there a specific type of fabric I can look for by name. If I have it in my hand it wont be a problem, as I have a good idea what I want.
Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Re: Fabric for room treatment
Gr8_White_North #410227 02/14/15 03:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I would like to help you out on this one but really, it is hard when you may not have access to shops that sell lots of fabrics. Having a local store that carries fabrics to browse around makes it so much easier to generate ideas.
Of course you could do alot of internet searching with topics like "music", "home theatre curtains", etc. but it is kind of essential to see a sample of the fabric in your hands.

We looked around at Fabricland, Home Sense, Home Outfitters and Jysk for curtains pre-made plus other fabrics. Ultimately for the main floor we bought pre-made curtains but for the media room the spouse sewed some heavy duty, dark blue velour with some neat fleur de lis clips for the top.
The heavy weight not only blocks out light but acts as a great reflection reducer over the glass french doors.

Kind of like this:

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/14/15 03:22 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Gr8_White_North #410228 02/14/15 03:35 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
What kind of treatments? I'll assume absorbtion. For wideband absorbtion any knitted material will do. Cotton, polyester etc. For covering diffusers or making covers for speaker locations acoustically transparent is wanted. Avoid vinyl or other non-permeable material. These will reflect higher frequencies.

A note of advice, I went with a fabric with a sheen to it my first go around. It was on sale. This became distracting during bright movie scenes. It also showed flaws in the lumpy bumpy roxul behind. Matte fabric would be my choice in future projects.

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 02/14/15 03:38 AM.
Gr8_White_North #410229 02/14/15 05:41 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks guys. I guess I will venture downtown and see what I can find. I looked online and found a few that suited my taste, I will see what fabrics I like and then try to replicate that online. Something along these lines maybe

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #410230 02/14/15 01:22 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Nick discovered and shared spoonflower.com and it seems really grat for variety.

You can search fabric by keywords there and prints are constantly contributed by textile hobbyists.

Gr8_White_North #410231 02/14/15 05:53 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks , I did some digging and found some fabric I like but it comes out of the US and the exchange rate is working against me right now.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #410234 02/14/15 07:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Socketman
Thanks guys. I guess I will venture downtown and see what I can find. I looked online and found a few that suited my taste, I will see what fabrics I like and then try to replicate that online. Something along these lines maybe

Richard, when they gay guy says "Whoa, dude! Way too cute---even for middle school!," it should at least cause one to, ummmm, ponder. If, like me, you listen with your eyes closed,
then that's OK. Wait, I take that back. Do you know your house well enough to ENTER and EXIT the room while your eyes are still closed? They would make pissah bedsheets, or pajamas---or a silk smoking jacket, lined silver. Look, I said I was gay, Jeesh!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #410242 02/15/15 04:42 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BobKay

Richard, when they gay guy says "Whoa, dude! Way too cute---even for middle school!," it should at least cause one to, ummmm, ponder. If, like me, you listen with your eyes closed,
then that's OK. Wait, I take that back. Do you know your house well enough to ENTER and EXIT the room while your eyes are still closed? They would make pissah bedsheets, or pajamas---or a silk smoking jacket, lined silver. Look, I said I was gay, Jeesh!

Whoa Bob, are they really that bad. I am about as straight as a guy can get, not even like allan on 2 and half men LOL . I was going to share what I ended up with but I fear I will be rebuffed.

Last edited by Socketman; 02/15/15 04:48 AM.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #410254 02/15/15 09:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BobKay

Whoa Bob, are they really that bad. I am about as straight as a guy can get, not even like allan on 2 and half men LOL . I was going to share what I ended up with but I fear I will be rebuffed.

LOL, Richard!!! Yeah, I knew that!

I just think they're a bit distracting. Also, you'll find an infinitely larger fabric variety if you go solid, no pattern. The heavier the better. Drapery/Upholstery fabric is what you want and buy only from someone who will send you an actual swatch if you buy online.

Wild patterns are what pillows are for. When you get sick of 'em, you can change the whole feel of the room with a trip to Target or Home Goods. Gawd, I'm getting gayer as I age.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

BTW, the guitar thing is soooo pissah, I'd be willing to listen with my eyes closed for that. Well, for a while. Again, cool pillows.

Last edited by BobKay; 02/15/15 09:38 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Gr8_White_North #410256 02/15/15 11:01 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Bob , my room is so very bland and I don't do art so this is going to have to suffice as art. I got some fabric coming and if I don't like it I can take it to the ladies at the quilting center LOL. In town they want 20bux a yard and I got it online for 10 bux so even with shipping and exchange its way cheaper. I went with cotton since I did 2 that go behind my curtains with old bed sheets and it was easy to work with. I will share the finished product when I get my material and you can pissahhh all you want to smile

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020