Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Comb Filtering - AVS Thread
exlabdriver #410398 02/22/15 12:15 PM
shareholder in the making
At a meta level, I have to question why people are so vehement about Axioms and seem to constantly use them as an example. After all, if they believe them to be no good, why mention them at all? Are they really so popular they have to be brought up as a counter example all the time a la Bose?

Or maybe we're just loud and annoying.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
exlabdriver #410399 02/22/15 12:33 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
People fear what they dont understand. The Axiom designs are different and inherently evil, of course. If you dig a little into who some of these guys are, and check their room pics for example, you will see they have no place being in a conversation where high quality audio is at question. They all parrot what they read online.

Reading about skinning a deer is not the same as skinning a deer. wink Oh, dear!

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 02/22/15 12:34 PM.
exlabdriver #410400 02/22/15 12:34 PM
I guarantee if you saw my room, you would say the same thing about me...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
exlabdriver #410401 02/22/15 12:50 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Perhaps, but these guys are the ones shouting from the tops of Ivory towers. smile Besides, it is my conclusion that ANY Axiom owner, regardless of setup limitations, has arrived at their choice from researching options and valuing the research effort behind the products. That says something. Axiom attracts a certain calibre clientele. The lucid kind. laugh

exlabdriver #410402 02/22/15 05:53 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
I cringe to think where this is going to go:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1903601-how-i-learned-stop-worrying-love-comb.html

Lots of reference to Axiom in there...

TAM

TAM -- At the moment, nowhere, it would seem! That's fine too. I don't really enjoy kicking hornet's nests, but am not a big fan of bullies either.

Enjoyed our PM's. I usually tend to read the forums substantially more than post. And since I haven't been actively considering substantial electronics/speakers purchases over the past several years (before about one year ago), I wasn't even really doing much of that.

The bottom line is that my family (following recommendations on my part for my Dad's theater) has been thrilled by the performance of a modest Axiom setup (including the sometimes maligned VP150 center channel!) for over a decade, and I thus always imagined starting there when it was time for my own dedicated theater build (i.e. now). But, some of the criticism elsewhere that has built up in the last few years struck me as out of proportion, personal, mean, incomplete or misleading, poorly justified, and in many cases either no longer applicable to upgrades in the current line, or completely incorrect. This offended me at some deep level, and I wanted to really gather my thoughts, do some calculations, assemble additional facts, and present my conclusions in a (hopefully) coherent way.

I sincerely hope that it turns out to be helpful and constructive rather than counter-productive. We'll see.

Cheers -
DSQ

exlabdriver #410403 02/22/15 06:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There are just a handful of people that jump at any opportunity t bash Axiom. Some people used the forums elsewhere to grind that axe and do it in a way that is convincing to many people that have zero experience with Axiom, and thus it spreads. I think that between a couple of us here we can name several of the people that we know will show up in your thread at AVS as soon as they find out about it. I don't want to name them because it just boosts their ego and then they look at it as they are "winning." Winning at being a tool maybe, but they don't see it that way and it just encourages them.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
chesseroo #410406 02/22/15 06:21 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
I may as well comment since i am also a scientist who holds a PhD....which sometimes for some people means "pretty horribly dumb" since often some forget to look at the big picture and get too focused on the minutia...

Hi Chess -- I've always heard "Piled Higher & Deeper". wink

Originally Posted By: chesseroo

Although the AVS post is well thought out, the very remark made near the start in paragraph 6 " I am not a golden-eared audiophile, although I know good sound when I hear it" says to me that this scientist hasn't done basic research in pychoacoustics regarding the published material and the fact that the concept of golden eared people is a fallacy (no personal offence intended, maybe he is aware).

You might be reading a bit over-literally there. If there had been scare-quotes around "golden eared" it might have scanned a bit closer to my meaning. Nevertheless, the implied confession that their are many members here and at AVS with a substantially more refined level of critical listening experience is sincere. I'm aware of the principle, for example, that listeners somewhat universally (regardless of experience) prefer flatter frequency response curves. Nevertheless, it is certainly true that some training in critical listening can allow an individual to better differentiate and identify sound reproduction characteristics that may be challenging to realize from an engineering perspective (the sharpness of percussive attack, for example). You are anyway correct that I have no special expertise in psycho-acoustics (beyond a very minimal quantity of reading). I'm guessing that maybe you do have direct research experience in this field? Sounds Cool. cool

Cheers-
DSQ

AAAA #410409 02/22/15 07:33 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Hats off to the Doc. A very well presented intro to a discussion of a topic as cryptic to understand as it is to realise in an actual room. With pink noise it can be observed readily, but it is very hard with program material.

I think posts like this are of high value, not only for Axiom, but for those who wish to understand the behavior of audio and relate theory to improvements into their rooms. I look forward to DrStrangequark's conclusions after setup. cool

Serenity - much appreciated. I am looking forward to experiencing & reporting on my theater as well! However, I'm somewhat dreading a few of the DIY hurdles that must be overcome between here and there first!

exlabdriver #410410 02/22/15 07:38 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
DSQ, welcome and thanks. For my money, nickbuol's threads here on Theatre construction are reference quality material. Enjoy your journey.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #410411 02/22/15 08:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
DSQ, welcome and thanks. For my money, nickbuol's threads here on Theatre construction are reference quality material. Enjoy your journey.

I'm blushing, then again, my threads and insights are free, so "for your money" that might not be very good. grin

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020