Re: Comb Filtering - AVS Thread
exlabdriver #410412 02/22/15 08:50 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
DSQ - welcome aboard!

The lack of further response is not surprising because I've noticed that posting seems increase during week days when most people are at work, ha! So wait for it!

This is the second instance in the last while at AVS where factual posts concerning Axiom like this one (instead of childish hearsay, parroted third hand info & often misguided opinion) have stopped the thread in its tracks. My best rebuttal is to direct posters to the excellent & objective reviews of Axiom (and other brands) at the highly credible HTS site. Comments then normally stop.

Because of my observations lately, I can only conclude that 'Brains' baffle 'Bullshit' instead of normally the other way around...

TAM

exlabdriver #410413 02/22/15 10:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I doubt that thread will get a whole lot of attention at AVS these days but it would if you took it to Audioholics. The usual naysayers seem to be absent of late.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
exlabdriver #410414 02/22/15 11:55 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
Let's hope so...

TAM

exlabdriver #410415 02/23/15 03:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Only 5 posts on the AVS forum ? That seems hard to believe smile

Before buying a VP180 I doodled up some (much less sophisticated than the Doctor's) calculations for comb filtering on each of the driver pairs and was actually pretty impressed with the results.

That said, I lived with a VP100 for several years (pretty much your common or garden D'Appolito array) and only heard audible comb filtering on a single track -- I forget which one, but it was a single-note-guitar-heavy track off Genesis' Nursery Cryme and was only clearly audible when I picked a stereo-to-5-channel matrixing option that pumped up the center channel volume.

Playing the same track with a VP180 resulted in less comb filtering effect, although since I can't remember which track it was I guess I have to go dig the CD out of my carousel and play it again upstairs on the HT system...

Last edited by bridgman; 02/23/15 03:12 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
chesseroo #410417 02/23/15 04:15 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
I may as well comment since i am also a scientist who holds a PhD....which sometimes for some people means "pretty horribly dumb" since often some forget to look at the big picture and get too focused on the minutia...

Sure, there are things that can be measured, but the question remains as to whether they can be heard and interpreted by the human ear/brain.
Although the AVS post is well thought out, the very remark made near the start in paragraph 6 " I am not a golden-eared audiophile, although I know good sound when I hear it" says to me that this scientist hasn't done basic research in pychoacoustics regarding the published material and the fact that the concept of golden eared people is a fallacy (no personal offence intended, maybe he is aware).

Bottom line, as said by those previously, even though it can be theorized or measured, does it matter?
Can humans even hear it under controlled conditions?
If not, who the hell cares?

Still carrying the torch, I see. smile

Anti-science sentiment in modern society is frightening.

Gr8_White_North #410418 02/23/15 05:27 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Socketman
I doubt that thread will get a whole lot of attention at AVS these days but it would if you took it to Audioholics. The usual naysayers seem to be absent of late.

Well, here again and as I mentioned earlier, it is the same small cast of characters involved anyway(as many of us know, one in particular who use to comment in this forum). In his case, when people questioned his ideas, I guess he got his feelings hurt and doesn't comment anymore, whereby, it is now, for no other reason just a case of regular criticism whenever the opportunity arises and AVS and to a little lesser extent, Audioholics are his forums of choice. In this manner, I believe it makes the deal seem a lot bigger than what it really is, especially when it come to Audioholics "infamous" history.

exlabdriver #410422 02/23/15 11:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I am heading to Axiom tomorrow and I will look for those combs and filters and make sure that they are behaving.

Hopefully we don't get much snow. I hear that the drive from Toronto is long enough on clear roads.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
exlabdriver #410424 02/24/15 03:44 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
And I thought that speakers were more of a subjective thing, much like music itself. You find what you like and though it may be different from everyone else, it's right for you.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
exlabdriver #410433 02/24/15 05:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm not sure if this is comb filtering, but I ran a test once with the on-wall M22 (mounted on the wall) vs the Bookshelf M22 (mounted on the stands designed for them). I had a sound abnormality with the on-wall, but not with the bookshelf.

I played a constant frequency at a constant volume level, using a CD designed for testing and adjusting your speakers.

Then using a Radio Shack sound pressure level meter, at a distance of 10 feet from the speakers (and pointed toward the wall with the speakers, without any rotation of the meter), I slowly walked from one side of the room to the other side, while watching the meter.

With the on-walls, the digital display would show different volume levels every inch or so, sometimes, by quite a lot.

With the bookshelf speakers, the volume was at a constant level as I walked.

Not sure what that proves. But, by just listening at normal source material, I couldn't notice anything that was off.

I'm attributing this abnormality to having speakers mounted on the wall, and not to any defect in Axiom speakers. Similar speakers from other manufacturers should show the same thing.

exlabdriver #410436 02/24/15 05:32 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
NICK! Have a great time!

Matt, research used by Axiom and others has established that "most people" prefer speakers that have a relatively neutral (flat) frequency response.

AND I'm definitely not a scientist. Graphs are boring, I'm in it for the fun, and "fun" comes from all kinds of sources.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020