Rate Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Vp 180 center
theskins #410963 03/21/15 06:39 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Have you tried changing the polarity of the 180? I know it seems odd and it's pretty likely it's wired correctly but I've seen (heard) it needing to be done on the M80. This would be my next step...It's frustrating because you know it's already right but when you hear it (if I'm right) you'll know.

alan #410974 03/21/15 09:55 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: alan
"I think the real difference would be in the speakers sensitivity levels. If the VP180 is 93db and the VP150 was 90db then I guess the VP180 would be double the volume level. They said every 3bd is double the volume. However, that said they say to get dbl the volume you need twice the wattage. So, if the 180 is 4ohms and the 150 6 ohms then the wattage is not going to double. The 180 should be a tad louder."

Hi TroyD,

You are misunderstanding the decibel and its relationship to power in watts and perceived loudness level. It's very confusing to newcomers and longtime enthusiasts alike. A 3-dB difference in sensitivity would be perceived as only "slightly louder", and would require twice as much power.

To actually double the perceived loudness of a speaker requires ten times as much power, not twice as much. It's a logarithmic relationship.

If you double the power in watts going to a speaker, the loudness of the speaker to our ears increases by only 3 dB, or "slightly louder."

A 1-dB difference is the smallest step or change in loudness that humans can detect. Smaller differences in loudness may not be detectable, but in listening tests, most people hear the ever-so-slightly louder speaker as sounding "better," which is why in A/B speaker tests between two speakers, the loudness levels must be matched to a fraction of a decibel.

Incidentally, skins, when I did careful double-blind tests at Axiom of the prototype vp180 center to the vp150, I found the vp180 to be dramatically better and less coloured than the vp150. I praised the vp180 center as sounding essentially as good as what turned out to be the M80v3. So I suspect that the slight level differences in your comparisons at home are leading you to incorrect conclusions.

Regards,
Alan

Alan, I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the VP180 as compared to the 150. Prior to purchasing my custom finish VP180, I moved from the 150 to when they first were introduced, a VP160 and the difference then was substantial. When it comes to speakers, I have always subscribed to the idea that one cannot defy the laws of physics so when you have a speaker which has a substantially larger cabinet with larger drivers you are just going to hear a substantially "larger" sound. As with a number of smaller center channel speakers in various price ranges that I have incorporated in to my systems over the years, although a good speaker, the VP150 falls in to that same category of small center channels with a small cabinet and somewhat limited frequency range with emphasis in that mid-range which gives voices, in particular, a somewhat more unnatural "boxy" type sound. From my own experiences, it is just more inherent and characteristic of a speaker of that size regardless of price.

I would suggest to "SKINS" leave the VP180 connected for awhile listening to various material especially movies at relatively high volume levels and then after a few days, re-connect the VP150. Once the ears get used to the sound, it is then, I believe, the difference will be substantially more noticeable.

theskins #410985 03/22/15 11:51 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks Alan .... yes, it can be confusing. Alto of this is confusing wink
I think I hear much then same way as SKINS does.

Here's what I get from this all is that, if we're doing this audessy, or manually setup. If we are setting our Mains and centres to small and cross overs at 80hz, then most of the 80hz and below is going to the subs. SO, if the VP150 sensitivity is down to 80hz, really what are you guys hearing below 80hz in the centre's ? given, that no sound below 80hz is even going that way. What I get from everyone is that the larger boxes are better for bottom end sound. Does, the size of the cabinet effect much of the sound between 100hz - 2k ?
The vp150 seems pretty well flat, there using the exact same drivers the vp180 is using.
I guess the only difference would be the croosover point at 150hz, in that the vp180 would be using the 6.5" drivers and most likely this is where most of the difference lies

Last edited by TroyD; 03/22/15 11:54 AM.

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

TroyD #410991 03/22/15 06:19 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: TroyD

Here's what I get from this all is that, if we're doing this audessy, or manually setup. If we are setting our Mains and centres to small and cross overs at 80hz, then most of the 80hz and below is going to the subs. SO, if the VP150 sensitivity is down to 80hz, really what are you guys hearing below 80hz in the centre's ? given, that no sound below 80hz is even going that way. What I get from everyone is that the larger boxes are better for bottom end sound. Does, the size of the cabinet effect much of the sound between 100hz - 2k ?
The vp150 seems pretty well flat, there using the exact same drivers the vp180 is using.
I guess the only difference would be the croosover point at 150hz, in that the vp180 would be using the 6.5" drivers and most likely this is where most of the difference lies

Well, it is important to remember that with any crossover setting(in this case the example of 80HZ, 150HZ would be too high), it is not a sudden cut below that frequency but a gradual roll-off so when available, especially at higher volumes, one could still hear those frequencies below 80HZ with the 180. Also, given the size of the cabinet itself and all that extra air moving around, other than the tweeter, it will affect the performance of all the other speakers and ultimately their frequency response and output. One good experiment to try is with the VP180 or even the 160, listen to a male human voice that is reasonably deep first with the crossover on and then off. Even with only a human voice, it will be subtle, but with the crossover disengaged and the speaker in "full range" mode, you will hear a slight further bass extension of that voice. Ultimately, from my own experience, especially experimenting with many types and sizes of speakers, no matter the set-up, a full range speaker like the VP180 is going to give you a more "natural" type sound across the entire frequency range. Because of space limitations, small centers have always been a design compromise that have the habit of providing an unusual and unnatural extra bump, especially in the 300-500HZ range, which primarily because of their cabinet and driver size limitations is almost impossible to smooth out. The sound of the VP150 I owned also was much more affected by placement than the larger 180.

I, personally, have my VP180 set to a 60HZ crossover which diverts the deepest bass to the subs, yet, with the gradual roll off below that setting, it still gives me pretty much the entire frequency range capabilities of the speaker.

Last edited by casey01; 03/22/15 06:46 PM.
theskins #410992 03/22/15 06:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
On the VP150 the crossover is 2.7hz and the 3 speakers take care of everything down to 80hz if that's is where you set the crossover . The VP180 allows the bigger drivers to handle 150hz down to the 80hz cross over. From my own measuring, even with 80hz crossover their is still plenty of output below 80hz since the crossover is gradual and room gain is also added. From looking at frequency charts there is a lot going on in the 150hz down region including male voices. I have never heard a VP 150 but I do have VP100 and it is thin sounding compared to my VP180 clone I built. I suggest that skins watch the movie Whiplash with the VP180 and then the VP 150 then decide. I am really surprised that skins is not hearing a difference, maybe when you get together with him Troy we can all get a better understanding.

Last edited by Socketman; 03/22/15 06:30 PM.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
alan #410997 03/22/15 09:56 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By: alan
"I think the real difference would be in the speakers sensitivity levels. If the VP180 is 93db and the VP150 was 90db then I guess the VP180 would be double the volume level. They said every 3bd is double the volume. However, that said they say to get dbl the volume you need twice the wattage. So, if the 180 is 4ohms and the 150 6 ohms then the wattage is not going to double. The 180 should be a tad louder."

Hi TroyD,

You are misunderstanding the decibel and its relationship to power in watts and perceived loudness level. It's very confusing to newcomers and longtime enthusiasts alike. A 3-dB difference in sensitivity would be perceived as only "slightly louder", and would require twice as much power.

To actually double the perceived loudness of a speaker requires ten times as much power, not twice as much. It's a logarithmic relationship.

If you double the power in watts going to a speaker, the loudness of the speaker to our ears increases by only 3 dB, or "slightly louder."

A 1-dB difference is the smallest step or change in loudness that humans can detect. Smaller differences in loudness may not be detectable, but in listening tests, most people hear the ever-so-slightly louder speaker as sounding "better," which is why in A/B speaker tests between two speakers, the loudness levels must be matched to a fraction of a decibel.

Incidentally, skins, when I did careful double-blind tests at Axiom of the prototype vp180 center to the vp150, I found the vp180 to be dramatically better and less coloured than the vp150. I praised the vp180 center as sounding essentially as good as what turned out to be the M80v3. So I suspect that the slight level differences in your comparisons at home are leading you to incorrect conclusions.

Regards,
Alan

Haven't had anytime this weekend but did do some quick measurements using pink noise and RS SPL meter.......and just about every spot in theatre section measured up to 3db louder in the 150 ?.........
No seat favoured the 180 ,but MLP was close at -1db... I would have thought 4ohms played louder than 6 ohms.....
Don't now much about sensitivity levels but I guess that why I am having a harder time deciding on which one sounds better ( plus 3 WOW)
Like I said earlier XOVERS at 60 hz for fronts and differences I hear are subtle with 180 sometimes sounding more laid back and natural .
one of my subs is pretty close to center( next to it in fact...inside front towers, which is also making it more difficult to hear a noticeable upgrade)
The 150 sometimes sounds better being a little clearer and more forward( your term I believe was colourful )
And sometimes this gets the 150 into trouble as well

i think I am going to take another owners advice and unplug the 150 for about a week and then retest ( I have owned the 150 for about 12 plus years now, and my ears are used to that sound)
Anyone know a quicker way to match DB without going into Avr menu?
And everyone I truly appreciate all the input

denon 991 /M80's /vp150 & 180 /4x QS8's
Velodyne 15"/ Dbox 12"
ps4 benq w1070 -grand view 106" FF

brwsaw #411000 03/22/15 11:03 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
Have you tried changing the polarity of the 180? I know it seems odd and it's pretty likely it's wired correctly but I've seen (heard) it needing to be done on the M80. This would be my next step...It's frustrating because you know it's already right but when you hear it (if I'm right) you'll know.

Great idea
Polarity check done
It is OK
Thanks

Velodyne 15"/ Dbox 12"

casey01 #411001 03/22/15 11:13 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By: casey01
Originally Posted By: TroyD

Well, it is important to remember that with any crossover setting(in this case the example of 80HZ, 150HZ would be too high), it is not a sudden cut below that frequency but a gradual roll-off so when available, especially at higher volumes, one could still hear those frequencies below 80HZ with the 180. Also, given the size of the cabinet itself and all that extra air moving around, other than the tweeter, it will affect the performance of all the other speakers and ultimately their frequency response and output. One good experiment to try is with the VP180 or even the 160, listen to a male human voice that is reasonably deep first with the crossover on and then off. Even with only a human voice, it will be subtle, but with the crossover disengaged and the speaker in "full range" mode, you will hear a slight further bass extension of that voice. Ultimately, from my own experience, especially experimenting with many types and sizes of speakers, no matter the set-up, a full range speaker like the VP180 is going to give you a more "natural" type sound across the entire frequency range. Because of space limitations, small centers have always been a design compromise that have the habit of providing an unusual and unnatural extra bump, especially in the 300-500HZ range, which primarily because of their cabinet and driver size limitations is almost impossible to smooth out. The sound of the VP150 I owned also was much more affected by placement than the larger 180.

I, personally, have my VP180 set to a 60HZ crossover which diverts the deepest bass to the subs, yet, with the gradual roll off below that setting, it still gives me pretty much the entire frequency range capabilities of the speaker.

At 80hz there was little difference ( if any, content depended)IMO with my ears
At 60hz there are subtle differences ( not always favoring the 180)
Full range ...no contest the 150 struggles......with subs there is no need for full range
60/80hz is better (I think)
But now knowing the 150 is playing at up to +3 DB ,depending where I sit and the fact my ears are more accustomed to the 150 (12 yrs).... I guess test has been unfair to this point
Thanks again for the input

Velodyne 15"/ Dbox 12"

theskins #411004 03/23/15 05:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Don't focus on the +3 dB. Recalibrate the entire system so that you are comparing the quality of the sound, not the volume of the sound.

Scott

My HT
a401classic #411048 03/24/15 02:32 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
But unless one of the speakers is grossly inferior, a 3dB volume difference can lead to the louder speaker being judged superior in quality, not just in volume.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup