Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
A six month long test of an Axiom Tower vs. ???
#411026 03/23/15 08:12 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Hi everyone - please allow a brief introduction, or re-introduction, to the Axiom forum. It's pretty cool seeing a lot of the same faces here that were present back when I was doing reviews.

Some of you may already know this, so pardon my boring "catch up" stuff ... from 2001 until 2010, I did a series of on line reviews, with a different twist. The reviews were always of competing products, with a fairly lengthy process, and a lot of input from various forum members.

Over the past 4 years, I have attempted to make a "go" at manufacturing and selling home theater products as "Chase Home Theater". My hope with this little company was to give my brother something special on which to hang his hat as the manufacturing side of the equation. As it turned out, he was not as interested as I hoped, and the company ceased operations in November, 2014.

Full disclosure time - we still have a small amount of inventory to sell off .. about 40 subs, 140 speakers and some hefty power amps. This "sell off" is being facilitated at Home Theater Shack, and if anyone looked at the products and pricing, one would quickly see we are not selling gear in which the Axiom buyer would be interested.

Now that we have the intro done .... to review process, which is also going to take place at Home Theater Shack ...

I will be starting the reviews just as they were previously done - they will be purchased, set up in our system at home, and compared to competing products. The process will include pretty straight forward language about the strengths and weaknesses of each product, with the usual caveat that these are merely opinions, although hopefully useful opinions.

I am posting here for two reasons ...

1. Ian was the first manufacturer to respond to emails sent that this review process was getting "kicked off" again. As he knows we do a lot of blind listening tests, and as Ian also is pretty relaxed about this stuff, he was enthusiastic.

2. I would like input from the forum regarding speakers to be tested - not only Axiom speakers, but also those of the competition.

We are considering everything from M50, M60, M80, M100, LFR660, LFR880 and LFR1100 in the Axiom range.

For competitors, we will look at PSB, Paradigm, Ascend, Martin Logan ... The floor is yours to chime in with ideas of speakers you might like to see compared, including from companies not mentioned here.

I do this because it's a lot of fun. To those who have participated in these events in the past, hopefully you will join in again.

No one expects this to be some sort of "tell you what to buy" scenario. What we want to accomplish is to show, in real world systems, some ideas on how to get great sound for the $$$.

To this end, we even keep a variety of receivers and amps on hand - right now, we have NAD (317 integrated), McIntosh (MA-6900 amp), Marantz (7008 receiver) and even an entry level Denon 1712 receiver (an entry level receiver, imo, is essential to this process - too many companies test entry level speakers with multi buck amps, and all too often, these entry level speakers fail big time with the type of electronics normally used with them).

We may even add an Axiom amp to the mix, along with a dedicated pre-amp processor for higher end stuff.

This first test will strictly be two channel, and tower speakers.

If you have read this far, thank you, and if there are any suggestions, fire away!

Re: A six month long test of an Axiom Tower vs. ???
craigsub #411029 03/23/15 09:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very cool that you are back to doing reviews.

What Paradigms would you compare the M80 to? It used to be that the M80 was a bargain compared to the Studio 100 and they were often compared. It looks like the Studio 100 has become less expensive relatively (the same price it was 10 years ago?) and the M80 has crept up in price. Maybe the Prestige 95F?

On paper, the M80 appears to have better bass extension than anything in the Paragigm line except the Signature S8

Things change.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #411030 03/23/15 09:14 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Fred - Good to see you again! The Studio 100's are listed at $1799 each on Paradigm's site, while the Prestige 95F's are listed at $2499 each.

SO ... $3598 for the pair of Studio 100's or $4998 for the pair of Prestige 95F's.

Both are under consideration. Good call!

craigsub #411033 03/23/15 10:01 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
One thing that has always bothered me about multi product reviews at many websites & magazines is the juvenile 'Shootout Format' where units are tested in a competition to the death. It seems that there has to be a winner & a bunch of losers.

Because speakers are such a subjective preference, I can't see how shootouts are valid at all. The 'winner' will not necessarily be a 'winner' to me or many others. Rating products in that manner is really irrelevant to me whether it is speakers, automobiles or whatever.

This type of extensive test over at HTS being done by a panel of testers with no numerical ratings/standings in the end is just about ideal, IMO:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...tion-event.html

TAM

craigsub #411035 03/23/15 10:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: craigsub
Fred - Good to see you again! The Studio 100's are listed at $1799 each on Paradigm's site, while the Prestige 95F's are listed at $2499 each.

SO ... $3598 for the pair of Studio 100's or $4998 for the pair of Prestige 95F's.

Both are under consideration. Good call!

Hah, I missed that. That begs the question, are a pair of M80s better than one Studio 100? Axiom ftw. No testing required. grin

Fred

-------
exlabdriver #411038 03/23/15 10:35 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
One thing that has always bothered me about multi product reviews at many websites & magazines is the juvenile 'Shootout Format' where units are tested in a competition to the death. It seems that there has to be a winner & a bunch of losers.

Because speakers are such a subjective preference, I can't see how shootouts are valid at all. The 'winner' will not necessarily be a 'winner' to me or many others. Rating products in that manner is really irrelevant to me whether it is speakers, automobiles or whatever.

This type of extensive test over at HTS being done by a panel of testers with no numerical ratings/standings in the end is just about ideal, IMO:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...tion-event.html

TAM

TAM - I prefer that type of a process as well. A lot of people want a "number" assigned, which I have attempted to be a sport and try the "numbered" approach, and it tends to end up with people fighting over the numbered results.

The "worst" of these was a GTG at our place in 2007. We had about 15 people, all listening blind, all posting notes and tallying scores before we revealed the speakers in question.

Where this testing will be different than the current review on HTS is this process will not be over a couple of days - it will be over a period of months.

Discussion will he had about things like true, in room, comparative efficiency of several pairs of speakers, using, say, pink noise at the same volume setting on a receiver.

For an example, let's say one pair of speakers managed 88 dB at the listening position, and the next only 82 dB using the same volume setting, we know that the first speakers would have appx. the same SPL with a good 50 watt amp as would the second with a 200 watt amp.

THAT is useful information - as most budget (think $600) receivers will deliver 50 watts per channel with 5 channels driven.

craigsub #411039 03/23/15 10:42 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Sounds good.

BTW, there is an interesting, ongoing thread at HTS ref an AMP Test that a bunch of them just participated in. Brand/model evaluations are starting to trickle in:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/h...ion-thread.html

TAM

exlabdriver #411040 03/23/15 10:53 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
I have been following that thread. Looking forward to reading more.

And while the purpose of this thread is to get ideas from as many people as possible in regards to different speakers to test, one that is of interest is doing some $1000 towers - M50, SVS Prime, Home Theatre Direct Level 3 Floor Standers ...

This seems to be a market without a lot of "love". Since one does not need to purchase stands with these speakers, the relative affordability against bookshelf speakers is enhanced.

This also hits that magic "$2500" for a 5.1 channel system price point as well.

craigsub #411044 03/23/15 11:59 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
For competitors, we will look at PSB, Paradigm, Ascend, Martin Logan ... The floor is yours to chime in with ideas of speakers you might like to see compared, including from companies not mentioned here.

It'll be great to read your thoughtful posts again. It's appreciated!

I'm really curious about the Devialet speakers that are getting a lot of press. I don't really have the budget or space for that kind of setup, but it's an intriguing product line nonetheless. One thing I'm wondering is why anyone would go for the normal Phantom over the Silver when the price difference isn't huge.

CV #411046 03/24/15 02:06 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
CV ... Those are in some rarified air for prices.

The LFR1100's are intriguing ... can they really compete with $5000 per pair loudspeakers like the Golden Ear Triton Ones?

That would be a heck of a test.

craigsub #411049 03/24/15 02:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Craig, welcome(back) to the forums. I remember and appreciate some of your reviews a few years back (M80s, Energy Veritas I believe).

I second Fred's suggestion on the Paradigm Studios and would also like to suggest evaluating some Kef R700/R900's and maybe some comparable B&W's to see how the latest versions compare to M80s or 100s.

It would also be interesting to see how Andrew's previous crowning achievement at Mirage, the OMD28s, compare to his present work with Ian on the Omni Directional Axioms.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
craigsub #411051 03/24/15 03:11 AM
Craig, welcome back and I look forward to your new tests. One suggestion that comes to my mind is the PSB X2T and the Axiom M60s.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Adrian #411059 03/24/15 11:29 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: Adrian
It would also be interesting to see how Andrew's previous crowning achievement at Mirage, the OMD28s, compare to his present work with Ian on the Omni Directional Axioms.

I too am interested in knowing what the LFT1100's stack up against. I had always coveted the Mirage omni speakers and wonder if that sound technology still offers top notch.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
craigsub #411066 03/24/15 03:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome back craigsub!

I have always liked Reference 3a and Totem. I had opportunity to compare them with my Axiom AX3's - very unscientifically I might add. The end result was keeping my Axiom's when life required changes to my material possessions...and of course an upgrade to M80's to stay current.

I wonder how the higher end Axiom models would compare in proper testing?

craigsub #411068 03/24/15 05:09 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
craig:

Although I've never heard the LFRs (hopefully they will be set up at the factory for the Sep bash, ha!) from what I've read in several reviews, these are a special species of speakers that require some deep pockets to own.

From the reviews here & elsewhere, I have no doubt that they will 'compare' (compete?? - there's that term again) favourably within their price range. There is no reason that they shouldn't given their design, fine build quality & unique omni-directional sound stage.

This review by Dale Rasco says a lot:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/s...al-speaker.html

The only wrinkle with the article is the typical bashing back at that time in the 'Discussion Thread' where Dale didn't tolerate any BS - in fact called it slanderous (Post #27). He certainly didn't need me to jump in!!

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 03/24/15 05:19 PM.
craigsub #411070 03/24/15 06:16 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Welcome back, Craig.

I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Cheers!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
exlabdriver #411071 03/24/15 06:22 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
There are already a lot of good ideas here. It's probable that the first speakers ordered will be a pair of M80's or M100's - and possibly a pair of M50's as well.

The M80/100 to compare against some direct competitors in that $2000-$3500 range, and I will mention the 50's again for this reason: The anechoic sensitivity rating of 94 dB (2.83 V @ one meter) combined with 8 ohm nominal resistance places them in an unusual spot: they are about 6-7 dB higher in sensitivity than the competition, and close to the sensitivity of pro audio speakers.

Based on specs, in a real world, receiver based system, the M50's have the possibility of delivering true reference SPL in fairly large rooms using nothing more than a receiver.

I have a pair of highly regarded towers here that sell for under $1000 for the pair. The only issue is they just don't perform well unless a lot of power is applied. They really need a good 200 WPC amp.

This begs the question: Will the M50's deliver something comparable in performance to the other Kilobuck per pair speakers with a typical receiver?

Back to the M80/100 .. both seem to be in the normal "wheelhouse" for the higher end Axiom buyer. They also appeal to a much wider audience than do the Omnidirectional speakers.

I won't be ordering until mid April - we are taking our first family vacation in 3 years from April 3 until the 12th. There were a lot of personal issues in my family over the past 1.5 years, and time away has been impossible.

The whole family is looking forward to getting away, and when we get back, the fun in my "man cave" will start.

I have reached out to sources for 5 other tower speakers, and will keep this thread posted as positive responses come in.

Another thing - our home is open to people who want to stop by and listen. smile

craigsub #411072 03/24/15 06:37 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
BBIH and Tom Tuttle - Thanks for the welcome back! grin

craigsub #411073 03/24/15 07:25 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
It is interesting that you mentioned the M50s. They seem not to be as popular as Axiom's other floor stander models for some reason. Most customers go for the M60 & up.

Being an owner of a pair of M3s on stands, I would love to hear the M50s as they are really a bigger version of the M3s. They have a simpler driver complement that I generally gravitate to...

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 03/24/15 07:27 PM.
craigsub #411098 03/25/15 03:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm a big lover of Pioneer Elite amps. Mid to upper price range. I'd love to see how it compares.

craigsub #411192 03/30/15 03:57 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Good seeing ya around again Craig!

B&W, Paradigm, Wharfedale Opus 2.3’s are the ones that come to mind, but that’s only because I’ve owned or listened to each.

Actually, what I think might be an even more interesting comparative test, would be Axiom M80’s verse M80 HP’s verse M100’s. The LFR’s are too complicated for me. I want speakers I can just plug my wires into and run them.

michael_d #411193 03/30/15 11:55 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Michael - Good to see you, too! Thanks for the welcome back.

Ian and Andrew could confirm this, but I think the M-80, M-80 HP and M-100 would sound pretty much identical, with the M80 HP having about 3 dB more output below 160 Hz than the M80, and the M-100 having an additional 3 dB in output below 160 Hz than the M80 HP.

When we get back from vacation, the trigger will be pulled on the speakers - right now, the KEF Q900 is the front runner for the comparison. It's about the same $$$ as the M80, and is listed as a class "B" in Stereophile's recommended components.

Class "B" has speakers up to and over $10,000 per pair, so this is high praise from Stereophile.

craigsub #411194 03/31/15 12:13 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Michael - I should add, if Ian and/or Andrew wanted to have some comparisons done between the M80's and M100, I am all for this as well.

I have really missed doing the reviews and "hanging out" with audio nuts.

craigsub #411197 03/31/15 01:41 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
To throw an idea into the M80/HP/100 mix, what about adding in the question for the article.

'Do you need a sub for audio?' As these big boys start to get down to a level that a budget class sub will max out at. So you can answer the question of is it better to spend a bit more for the HP or 100 and forgo getting the sub for your system.

craigsub #411198 03/31/15 02:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Interesting question. I've tried sub/small speaker vs full range speakers a few times and was never impressed with the sub (crossover artifacts seem to outweigh ability to go lower) but in hindsight I think the room was always getting in the way.

+1 for regular vs HP speakers, seems to be a bit more of a bass-heavy tilt in the HP speakers and trying to figure out if I would like that or not. That said, will end up pulling the trigger on some M60HPs to find out myself eventually...

EDIT -- off topic but &^$&^%$!!, missed some nice B-stock natural cherry M3v4's.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/31/15 02:16 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #411200 03/31/15 02:28 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
After seeing the specs on the woofer in the M100, it was pretty clear it would make for a nice, 32 Hz subwoofer.

Somewhere on the Axiom site, there is a pic of an EP-100 using this driver (just one) in a compact sub ... so an M100 has three, which is basically the same as a 12 mm X-max, 11 inch subwoofer tuned to the mid 30's.

Should have some pretty good wallop.

Speaking of wallop ... the EP800 is looking like something to try out, just for fun. There is SO much to subwoofers besides "how loud is it at 20 Hz".

The old EP-500 was a favorite 9 years ago ... and Andrew has posted the new EP-500 is more potent, even as a sealed unit.

craigsub #411201 03/31/15 03:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I forgot we're talking to the man who put the "sub" in "craigsub" wink

In a moment of weakness I just pulled the trigger on some non-HP B-stock M60 v4's, so assuming I feel up to carrying a pair of M60s up and down the stairs yet again I should be able to comment on (a) M60ti vs M60v4, and (b) M60v4 vs Ascend Sierra-1.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/31/15 03:45 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #411202 03/31/15 03:48 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Good stuff on the new M60's! Does it help to know I will have to carry the M100's and even the EP800 myself?

Actually, at 110 pounds, the EP-800 is remarkably easy to move around compared to most "beast" subs.

craigsub #411212 03/31/15 03:49 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Check out the M80 and M80HP drivers. The HP version using the same drivers as the M100. I think the HP option is, to be frank, a waste of money, and that's why I bought V4 non-HP M80's. But....there have been others on this site who said the HP version sounded better to them. I can't help but think that is psychological, and not real. Oh wait, forget it…..I don’t want to know, cause then I’d just buy other friggin set of speakers if they do sound better….

As far as sub with stereo goes, I use an EP600 with M80’s (TI models). I have it crossed at 40. I love it. The system sound naked without it.

craigsub #411214 03/31/15 04:46 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
craig:

With me directing my wife, I found that she could move our EP800s around quite well, ha!

We put them on a bath towel on our hardwood floor & easily pushed them into place. The vertical form factor works well with them because one is not bent over trying to wrestle something that heavy...

TAM

craigsub #411235 04/02/15 08:14 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
What about the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower, has a similar number/compliment of drivers, 2 woofers, 1 mid, 1 tweeter, (compared to the M60) with the dome tweeter it does cost 25% more, both companies are ID businesses.
Compared to the M80 the price is more similar but the M80 has double the Mids and Tweeters.
The Ascend with the Ribbon Tweeter is similar in price to the M100
Just a suggestion.
Jeff

Last edited by Strider53; 04/02/15 08:17 PM.
Jeff_in_the_D #411238 04/02/15 11:10 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Strider - The Ascend Towers are a pretty compelling speaker. Comparing just those to a pair of M100's would be a pretty tough task - tough in a good way.

I am heading out on vacation tomorrow ... back on April 13.

This vacation will include a lot of golf in Central Florida. At the age of 54, there has to be some stiff shaft jokes in there somewhere. laugh

Once I get back, some speakers will be ordered. This will be fun!

craigsub #411243 04/03/15 03:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Would love to see some blind tests of both high end and budget amps against each other to find out if there's really any difference other than the extra 0's on the expensive ones. Not sure how one acquires a bunch of amps without having to lay out some serious coin...I doubt if companies at the higher end would loan out any equipment knowing they'll be tested against amps costing less than a 1/3 of theirs.

craigsub #411259 04/03/15 11:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another vote for Ascend Towers. My plan was to either buy some M60v4s sooner or save a while for Towers with the RAAL tweeter (nearly 2x the price).

I went with M60v4s. They arrived yesterday (yay !!) and are sitting beside a pair of Ascend Sierra-1's. I'm really struggling with the comparison, partly because I don't have a switch box and partly because there are a bunch of big vs bookshelf factors mixed in.

There are a couple of things I prefer about the Sierras (percussion sounds a bit tighter in busy spots and acoustic piano sounds a bit more realistic) but I remember hearing some of the same things I liked about the Sierra's when I had a borrowed pair of M3's sitting beside my M60ti's. Small box vs big box. Bleah.

I really need a pair of M3's to do this comparison properly. And a 3-way remote speaker switch. And an assistant. And, as long as I'm whining, I need more free time, more hair for the back of my head, and a couple of yards of crushed stone for that big %^$#&^%$ swamp at the end of my driveway.

Hey, I have a better idea. How about if I give up on my comparison and bring M60s/Sierra-1's (and beer) down to your test instead ?

I haven't put the M60v4's side-by-side with the M60ti's yet but my immediate impression was that the v4's had a more neutral balance. The M60ti's only needed to be toed in to make the stereo imaging "pop" and otherwise sounded a bit better when pointed straight ahead, but the v4's image AND sound best when they're toed in and tweeters are at ear level. For me (6'5" with sofas & chairs raised 4") that's either a 6" plinth or a 1x2 under the front feet. Guess Mark was right about the M100's.

Not sure how to do an amp shoot-out without a really fancy switch box unless someone's memory for sound is a lot better than mine. Even the time it takes to swap speaker cables is enough to muck up an A/B comparison for me.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/03/15 11:44 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
craigsub #411264 04/04/15 02:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Bleah. I had forgotten that in my room M60s need to be further away from the wall than Sierras. Pulled them out another foot (36" from back of speaker to the wall) and sound improved significantly.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/04/15 02:55 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
craigsub #411267 04/04/15 04:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
... and once I pulled the speakers out far enough from the wall I no longer needed to tilt/raise them to get a balanced sound. Definitely different from the ti's, in a good way.

Good thing I don't test speakers for a living.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/04/15 04:52 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
craigsub #411269 04/04/15 10:06 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
If there is a comparison for amps I'd like to recommend using low efficiency bookshelf speakers for testing. There are a few models out there that are around 83-84db/1wm that are ideal for this kind of test. I mentioned it in the amp evaluation prep thread over at HTS but it didnt take.... They ended up using high efficiency speakers and I suspect the results will show differences, but not as vast as they would have been otherwise. I can recommend trying Leema Xeros and Dynaudio Excite speakers. smile

AAAA #411422 04/15/15 11:40 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Bridgman ... I get back from vacation, and see your hilarious posts. That's something we need more of in this hobby. You are welcome here any time!

Today is also tax day in the US, so it's been a wild couple of days since we returned.

Hopefully, over the next couple of days, we will get things firmed up for this test - I am leaning towards getting a pair of M100's, a pair of M50's, possibly a center channel, a subwoofer and one other pair of towers or bookshelf speakers.

The M100's are under serious consideration because the one pair of speakers I have missed the most is the M80's I got about 9 years ago. The M100's would eventually be tested against something like the Goldenear Triton 2's. They are getting raves, and are a solid Class B in Stereophile.

The M50's would be tested against possibly a pair of SVS Prime Towers and the Home Theater Direct Level 3 towers. This test would be, unlike most one sees, a realistic test using a hime theater receiver.

Too many of these tests are done with $9000 in amps driving a $1000 pair of speakers. I never read where a guy looking for something like an M50 based home theater was going to use amps that cost 9 times the price of the speakers.

craigsub #411426 04/15/15 04:19 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Of all the AV Forums I frequent, this is the only one with any humour.

That says a lot about the folks who hang out here...

TAM

exlabdriver #411439 04/16/15 02:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
Of all the AV Forums I frequent, this is the only one with any humour.

That says a lot about the folks who hang out here...

TAM

We were all dropped on our heads as kids?

Fred

-------
craigsub #411443 04/16/15 04:02 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I don't know but I had my a$$ kicked a few times - but only when I needed it...

TAM

exlabdriver #411511 04/19/15 12:40 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
The first speakers have been ordered for the long term test: A pair of Martin Logan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic Hybrid speakers that sell for $2500 per pair, including shipping.

They can be seen here:

http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/em-esl.php

craigsub #411526 04/19/15 05:34 PM
C
CV Offline
C
I've still never heard electrostatic speakers. One of these days I need to broaden my horizons.

CV #411532 04/19/15 06:20 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
CV - I heard a pair for about a half hour last week, and was impressed enough to order my own pair. Can't wait to get them!

craigsub #411632 04/23/15 12:33 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
For a quick update - The Martin Logans arrived today. The packaging was excellent, and the speakers remarkably easy to install - they only weigh about 40 pounds.

They are breaking in now - did some casual listening to Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" for about a half an hour. Right now, I am just using an entry level Denon receiver as a 2 channel amp, so there isn't a lot to report.

The only listening report so far is they definitely are articulate, and the woofer section is pretty good.

I am also scheduled to visit Axiom next Thursday (April 30). I have business in the GTA on Wednesday and it seemed too good to pass up the chance to pay a visit.

craigsub #411635 04/23/15 06:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I am also scheduled to visit Axiom next Thursday (April 30). I have business in the GTA on Wednesday and it seemed too good to pass up the chance to pay a visit.

Hopefully it will be warmer by then. I just watched it snow all night.

The drive up from Toronto is a nice one.

Fred

-------
fredk #411702 04/25/15 03:00 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
A quick update - The Martin Logans (ML's) are sounding pretty good. All processing in the Denon receiver is turned off, and it is just a two channel amp now.

The ML's are the first "dipole" style planar speaker we have had here, and comments one will see about ML's and Magnepans are starting to make more sense. Unlike traditional speakers, these speakers change a LOT just by moving one's listening position a little.

They are detailed, and musical to the point where I look forward to heading to the "man cave" for some relaxing listening.

Compared to the M1's (my product - a $175 bookshelf MTM monitor) and the ARX A5's ($400 each), the ML's are quite the step up. Of course, for $1250 each, they should be. The soundstaging is good, and microdynamics are as well. They definitely are not "boxy".

The current front end is a Denon DBP-1611UD player, and the receiver a Denon 1712. The receiver will soon be replaced with something more upscale - but not too crazy. This process is still not going to require someone spend huge bucks to drive reasonable priced speakers.

The likely end result will be a Marantz 6009 or 7008 receiver and a good 5 channel amp. With $1000 towers, the receiver would be used stand alone, with the $2500 towers, the amp added to the mix, in order to approximate what most people would do in the real world.

THE VISIT TO AXIOM has been confirmed - Ian has been quite gracious in his invite. We will be having a lot of discussions about all things audio. There are two things I admire about Ian when it comes to our hobby (ok, more than two things, but these two are pertinent to this test):

1. Ian never puts down competition. Regardless how much he is attacked, he just lets it go. It took yours truly a long time to learn this, and I wish I had done as Ian has from the first time I had a review thread in 2002.

2. Ian loves blind testing. Double blind is preferable, but even the type I do here is something he likes over the standard on line fan boy always picking his favorite.

When I do listening, I have someone put one speaker pair into the system. The room is easy to keep dark, and I just listen to the speakers not knowing which they are.

If Ian has a speaker in for a blind test, and some one ends up picking a competitor as the "winner", he just smiles, knowing this happens.

Back in my "first run" reviewing speakers, Axiom, if memory serves, "won" 5 and "lost" 3 blind tests against comparable speakers (in term of price).

I say "won" and "lost" because participants in these tests want a "tally". It is my experience that telling the listeners in such a test not to "keep score" is about as likely to work as is telling kids playing baseball not to keep score.

The kids keep score, even if the adults think they don't. As a funny coincidence, the kids are also more mature (as the participants) than are the adults (as the audience) .. much like the forum world.

Ever notice that the participants in a blind test are much more relaxed about the results than are those who are reading about the results?

I sincerely hope this small start back into testing speakers is useful for those who are patient enough to read all this stuff.

Look for things to get more involved after I come back from the Axiom visit. Thanks for reading, and as always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

craigsub #411705 04/25/15 04:54 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Great post craig. Good to have you here:

I've often heard that these types of speakers are wonderful; however, I don't think that I'd want a speaker system that requires my head to be clamped in a vice to keep a coherent sound stage. When I listen or watch movies, I start sitting in the MLP, but often I end up horizontal as well & in different directions. I find that my conventional Axiom speakers don't really vary with all of my contortions. I think that I would find trying to stay rigidly in one place to enjoy the best sound would be fatiguing & probably annoying.

I've always found that the Axiom crew & customers are generally a class act & rarely ever mean-mouth any other brand. Couth & decorum is definitely lacking in many areas of this pastime that is exacerbated by the anonymity of the net.

As far as the results of blind testing, if I am the only one out of five testers that likes Speaker C the best, it doesn't matter to me that the other four preferred Speaker A. Subjectively, I still preferred Speaker C. So to me this type of 'scoring' (which then morphs into the ubiquitous 'shootout') is meaningless; however, I can see why it is done, largely for consumption by the herd. In the grand scheme of things, sales of Speaker A would probably benefit...

TAM

exlabdriver #411707 04/25/15 05:46 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Tam - I do understand your concerns what happens with a "tally" of the speaker scores. One item I failed to mention is we require all "scores/notes" to be turned in before we identify the speakers in question.

To further ensure that everyone knows the test was done honestly, after the scores are posted, the listeners then get to go see which speakers were hooked up for the second round, after they turn in the notes, and before I see them, eliminating the possibility that shenanigans took place.

Where it gets really fun is when people who were not at the event go into another forum, and post half quotes while constructing all sorts of conspiracy theories about how the test was done.

Two years ago, we did a blind test between a DIY speaker and a commercially available complete "store bought" speaker.

The panel preferred the "store bought" speakers, including the gent who had built the DIY speakers.

SO ... I offered up that the guys could do additional listening anyway they wanted, which they did. They still preferred the "store bought" speakers.

A thread was opened on another forum in which it was stated that it was clear I "cheated" the test because I was so willing to let the panel run the test again without my involvement.

It takes a special kind of logic to draw that conclusion. Had I stopped the test at that point, that conclusion would have some merit. But to suggest a nefarious motive BECAUSE I offered to get out of the way is pretty far fetched.

The sad part - the participants all had fun until they tried to take part in the thread slamming the event, and they were beaten down, all because they didn't pick the speaker that the OP of that thread thought they should.

The good part - a lot of lurkers dropped PM's expressing appreciation for the efforts, and most people who are lurkers understand these tests are not perfect.

craigsub #411714 04/25/15 06:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I appreciate your time and your stories, Craig.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #411719 04/25/15 08:26 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Tom - Thanks. It's fun back to trying out a bunch of different speakers. The trip to Dwight will be fun - probably going to go with M100's and M50's - and maybe a center if Ian and Andrew want one checked out.

Andrew looks like a real talent - can't wait to pick his brain. He seems to be an engineer that not only likes the technical, he likes people. That's rare in the business.

The ML's are getting more impressive with each listening session. They are somewhat restricting in terms of the best listening position, but even when off to the side, they are pretty darn good.

craigsub #411804 04/28/15 03:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
craigsub is back?
nifty
and doing some martin logan listening, very interesting indeed
i almost pulled the trigger on some magnepans years ago but decided against it as i couldn't get an audition in my home with the units and secondly, i figured i would need massive amps and a subwoofer for the low end which is something additional i didn't want to add to the room
haven't heard anyone auditioning them, or anything like them, since that time (yes Martins are Electrostatic vs Magnepan Planar Magnetic)
i've often read that people seem to prefer maggies over martins, but to each his own
the soundstage is supposed to be pretty wide with maggies

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
craigsub #411813 04/28/15 12:11 PM
I was very impressed with the Maggies when I heard them 15 years ago. But that was before I heard Axioms, so my mileage may vary.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #411814 04/28/15 12:36 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
It was tempting to try out some Magnepan 1.7's ... but the required amplifier (as per their suggestion) and somewhat lacking for use in a home theater tilted the decision to the Martin Logans.

I have heard Maggies on several occasions, and they struck me as a fun speaker, but not one I would want to have as my only two channel system.

It's only two days until the visit to Axiom ... wonder if Ian will be smart enough to lock the doors before I get there!

craigsub #411826 04/29/15 03:12 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I surprised more people not wanting to compare say SVS prime/ultras bookshelves/towers to M3's/80/100? Or Axiom on walls to def techs or something. With both SVS and Axiom being both ID only it seems obvious.

Last edited by newf; 04/29/15 03:14 AM.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
craigsub #411828 04/29/15 03:41 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I am more curious how an Amp / Pre-Amp vs Receiver will effect the sound or perception of sound from a given set of speakers.

I quite honestly like the speakers that I have, and have ZERO plans to replace them at any point in the next long while. If you are happy with what you have, then looking at what other people this about other speakers and how they sound is a little bit pointless.

craigsub #411832 04/29/15 03:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
well that is easy. Anytime I have changed receivers or separates the sound of my setup changes. It becomes a frustrating game trying to find the right combination and sound. I know the audiophiles out there will argue that all power amps should sound the same - but they simply do not. Grab an old Carver TFM power amp, then try something like a NAD or Outlaw, you will hear a noticeable difference. As for receivers, they have so much processing going on none will ever sound the same. This is a very touchy topic for some.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
craigsub #411855 04/30/15 11:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Newf, "audiophiles" do not believe that all amps sound the same, quite the opposite.

You are correct, this is a delicate subject with people.

BBIBH #411871 05/01/15 12:58 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
It was a very good visit with Ian, Andrew and Deb (plus most of the rest of the staff) today. Got to so some blind tests, which was fun. Ordered and paid for a pair of M100s, a pair of M50s and a VP180. Finish is Oak, and they are being custom built for the finish.

craigsub #411890 05/02/15 02:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
What no photos?
I'm a visual kind of guy.
What does Ian look like again?

chesseroo #411892 05/02/15 09:17 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Chesseroo ... Ian still looks like Ian. And he still has the famous Ian laugh. Unfortunately, no pictures. When the speakers arrive, I promise to take a lot of pix. smile

I settled on a Marantz 7008 amp. It tested well, including over 200 wpc as a two channel amp. One can also use the pre outs to driven a separate amp.

craigsub #411896 05/03/15 07:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally i read that as "Ian still looks like Alan".
Geez i had way too much of the Chook Shed shiraz this evening.
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1089652

I'm glad to see Marantz is still chugging along and keeping with some vintage blue light elements. Frankly i quite love any a/v gear that has cool blue lights. Not obnoxious, but damn, bring back the old analog dials and meters. Cool stuff.

Last edited by chesseroo; 05/03/15 07:14 AM.

craigsub #411905 05/03/15 11:21 AM
Aww, I miss my 2252B.

Ken.C #411906 05/03/15 11:45 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
My first great power amp was a Marantz 510 with the matching 3600 preamp - bought them in 1978.

Last year, I picked up a perfect Marantz 250 amp ... 125 WPC into 8 ohms and 200 into 4 ... bench tested this amp at 166 WPC into 8 / 252 into 4.

It will definitely get a shot at the M100's and Martin Logans.

craigsub #411910 05/03/15 03:09 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Based on a conversation with Ian, I pulled the trigger and ordered an ADA-1000-5 and an EP-800 this morning.

For most listening, the ADA-1000 will be used as a 3 channel amp for home theater use, and 2 channel for the tower tests. The Marantz will power the back speakers for home theater usage.

And Ian liked the idea of a direct comparison of the EP-800 to the SS-18.2 we were selling at Chase Home Theater ... think "intelligent DSP and great 12 inch woofers" versus "lots of power and great 18 inch woofers".

The Chase 18 inch woofer is comparable, if not identical, to the driver used in the Power Sound Audio T-18 subwoofer. Both are sourced from Eminence on the best platform/longest throw available from Eminence.

craigsub #411917 05/04/15 12:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Following closely. This will be interesting. grin

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
craigsub #411932 05/04/15 02:25 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Based on a conversation with Ian, I pulled the trigger and ordered an ADA-1000-5 and an EP-800 this morning.

For most listening, the ADA-1000 will be used as a 3 channel amp for home theater use, and 2 channel for the tower tests.

OK.. so I gather that you went with a 5 channel amp so you don't have to unplug any wires? I have never been to one of these events so I have no idea how they work.

MMM #411934 05/04/15 03:03 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Matt - You just made a good point .. some clarification is a good idea here, in regards to how this type of testing works.

There is the longer term testing between two speakers (in this case, M100's vs Martin Logan ESL Hybrid). I will break both speakers in for at least 50 hours before doing any serious listening, and switch them in and out over a period of weeks.

Over a time period, comments will be posted regarding the listening experience .. with attention paid to bass extension, bass articulation, mid range clarity, treble clarity, is either harsh at a frequency, with a particular instrument, or with higher volumes.

Microdynamics (example - a whisper in a song) will be tested. And finally, the "musicality" of each speaker pair will be posted, based on personal experience.

Some speakers make you want to listen longer. Some don't ... and it is usually the more musical speaker which does.

THEN ... the other type of test is one done at a GTG. In this test, listeners will get the chance to hear each speaker pair for a period of about an hour. Then the process is repeated with the other speaker pair.

The listeners will then write up a "review" regarding what they thought of the speakers, with no comments between the listeners.

After they are done, the results are handed in. I usually am the "host", and collect the notes, without reading them.

The listeners then get to "see" which speaker pair was "A" and which was "B". At this point, we get out the notes from everyone, and review them.

It's a lot of fun - and also is pretty close to what Axiom does at their facility, except they can do instant A-B switching.

Does this help clear things up?

As for the amp - plus center channel and subwoofer - I am getting those just for fun. I have, for a strict 2 channel listening test, a NAD 317 integrated amp with easy switching between speaker pair "A" and "B". For a GTG style setting, no subwoofer would be used, just the NAD amp, a good CD player, and the speakers in question.

craigsub #411942 05/04/15 11:15 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I'm looking forward to reading your results and journey there. smile

I have a couple of questions regarding a gtg setup. Based on some personal sighted A/B tests I did a while ago with some bookshelves I noticed some things. Their "ideal" positions, based on their interaction with my room and listening position, were slightly overlapping. It was not possible to listen to each in an A/B switching setup without physically moving them to their optimal position (room boundry, toe in, etc) and the other slightly out of the way.

How do you plan to address this in a GTG setting where speakers live behind a curtain? I guess how fussy are you with setup and ensuring the speakers are judged on ideal setup? This has always been my biggest gripe with shootouts and GTG setup stories. But I have no idea how to accomplish an ideal test with ideal setup. ::shrug::

craigsub #411943 05/04/15 11:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
My understanding of the options is :

1. (preferred) - speakers mounted on hydraulically operated platforms (or a bunch of garage-sale Roombas rendered surplus after owners tire of posting cat/Roomba videos on YouTube) so each speaker under test moves into the preferred position when activated

2. (practical) - participants move speakers manually (only after participating in this round of blind test) and are rewarded with beer

3. (equally practical) - each speaker pair is slightly offset horizontally to the previous pair, such that ideal listening position moves slightly between speaker pairs. Listening position is a roller chair

4. (what I'm doing today) - each pair of speakers is inside/outside previous pair so listening position does not move, but separation between speakers changes

Last edited by bridgman; 05/05/15 12:02 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
AAAA #411945 05/05/15 12:01 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
The simplest answer is this: There is no "perfect" way to conduct a test.

But .. let's compare a test like this to one as done by most magazines or the typical on line reviewer:

They spend three or four days listening, then write up results as if the results were absolute.

In the GTG setting, what one will get is a variety of opinions based on people listening with no agenda involved. There are no advertisers expecting good results for the $$$ paid.

No one gets told not to audition the speakers for him or her self.

What happens is we get an honest test based on the results as posted by 10 to 15 people who had no idea which speakers were playing.

I can tell you, based on my own experiences along with the opinions of others, that our "basement theater" is one of the better "sound rooms" available. It's very quiet, with little colouration added by the room.

Plus - we have a lot of fun, something sorely lacking in all this. smile

craigsub #411946 05/05/15 12:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Do you have a decent switching box ? I was trying to find one with remote control and banana plug connections for less than a bazillion dollars with no success, so I was thinking about building one.

Might use a flashlight for remote control -- 3 flashes selects speaker #3 etc, or I guess I could make it the first "thing" (from Internet of Things) to go in the house since the local "essential services" policy prevents me from networking the coffee maker.

Last edited by bridgman; 05/05/15 12:06 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
craigsub #411951 05/05/15 01:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I can tell you, based on my own experiences along with the opinions of others, that our "basement theater" is one of the better "sound rooms" available. It's very quiet, with little colouration added by the room.

I can attest to the factuality of this statement from first hand experience myself. Great listening room.

Jack

craigsub #411954 05/05/15 08:57 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Dont get me wrong, I'd be clapping like a wind up monkey reading your posts about the event. It sounds like a lot of fun. grin

AAAA #411955 05/05/15 11:25 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys - All the questions are good ones. The GTG portion of the plans for 2015 will be open for a lot of suggestions. If, for example, 12 guys "sign up" to attend and they want to have a serious, level matched blind test, we would look into switchers that work at the pre-amp stage rather than a speaker switcher, if at all possible.

So PLEASE ... keep asking questions, and rest assured that none of these questions are in the least bit "bothersome".

I will be opening a thread on Home Theater Shack after the Marantz arrives, featuring the Martin Logan ESL Hybrids. When the M-100's arrive, they will get the next round of listening.

Thanks to Ajax for teaching me copy/paste in 2005, so any of my blatherings on HTS can be reposted here. smile

craigsub #411966 05/05/15 11:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Guys - All the questions are good ones. The GTG portion of the plans for 2015 will be open for a lot of suggestions. If, for example, 12 guys "sign up" to attend and they want to have a serious, level matched blind test, we would look into switchers that work at the pre-amp stage rather than a speaker switcher, if at all possible.

This is what we used, a home crafted A/B instantaneous switcher with an electric powered toggle.

With a Parasound Halo amp, we could setup 2 speakers and run the preamp in mono for one on one testing. The Halo unit has independent gain controls on the rear for each channel which makes it very easy in equalizing the SPL to adjust for differences in efficiency.
You can use a covered screen, but since i didn't have something useful, we used blindfolds and sat about 12' away from the speakers which helped to minimize the determination of right vs. left. Farther back virtually eliminates this but can cause other problems as you start to move so far back in the room that the acoustics change dramatically.

Quote:

So PLEASE ... keep asking questions, and rest assured that none of these questions are in the least bit "bothersome".

Is that some kind of challenge craig?
wink

I actually quite liked the 'results' of the last major GTG you had with all those lads. It ws interesting to see the variation in preferences and how some observations for some speakers recurred, thereby defining a common sound 'type'. That kind of less biased opinion is far more useful to get an idea of a speaker character.
Any reasonable attempt at reducing the bias is useful IMO, but no, it would be impossible to satisfy the naysayers and design a truly perfect blind test.

Last edited by chesseroo; 05/05/15 11:29 PM.

craigsub #411967 05/05/15 11:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Suggestion for speakers to add; custom subwoofers using Tannoy drivers.

Yes, these are real, built and owned by a friend of a friend. Both are huge vintage stereophiles and one of them built the switcher.
An electronics guru so i've been told.

craigsub #411970 05/06/15 12:10 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Heres my guess...

Its a 4 pole relay with normally open and closed contacts. Low voltage DC coil (probably an ice cube 12v automotive relay) hence the power supply. The relay input side is the from the amps and the output side is jumpered out and going to the speakers. Very cool setup and custom box! We built stuff like that in motor controls/PLC labs. And yes, I'm a dork for knowing that and posting. grin

AAAA #411973 05/06/15 12:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Heres my guess...

Its a 4 pole relay with normally open and closed contacts. Low voltage DC coil (probably an ice cube 12v automotive relay) hence the power supply. The relay input side is the from the amps and the output side is jumpered out and going to the speakers. Very cool setup and custom box! We built stuff like that in motor controls/PLC labs. And yes, I'm a dork for knowing that and posting. grin

You should build a few and sell them.

Apparently this was a prototype unit and there were plans to do a ver2 with improvements.
I don't know if designing some kind of gain control was in those plans, but that would be the biggest upgrade i could foresee.
Otherwise the switcher worked fantastic.
One user could toggle it back and forth quickly when testing say, two different amps, and the listener would never know which amp was playing.
We used this when testing sound differences between a receiver, an old tube amp and a modern Coda amp.

craigsub #411974 05/06/15 12:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The switcher in action for my second use with it, oh about 10 years ago.

AAAA #411976 05/06/15 01:09 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Chess - I will swing by Best Buy and grab a couple of them!

We need more dorks.

chesseroo #411979 05/06/15 03:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Yes, these are real, built and owned by a friend of a friend. Both are huge vintage stereophiles ...

Given the size of those speakers, it's not clear exactly where the parentheses should go in your second sentence...

huge (vintage stereophiles) ?

(huge vintage) stereophiles ?

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
craigsub #411983 05/06/15 08:54 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
The beauty about what you guys built is it is waaay faster than a normal switch, and cant accidentally short something out if you are doing amp comparisons. A normal speaker selector switch used for an amp comparison would be hazardous to equipment unless the user was really focused on turning all off between cycles and turning the other on. That box would be a neat project.

AAAA #411986 05/06/15 11:43 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
I should have been more clear ... it is the subwoofers I want to get at Best Buy, not the switch box.

One thing I have noticed with groups of 4 or more in a listening session is the "AB" instant switching tends to annoy most of the people in the test.

We all want to be able to control when the switch is made. John will just be getting into a feel for speaker "A", and Norm, the guy with the control switches speakers, leaving John hanging.

I ran this idea past Ian yesterday - it's the type of blind test we have done at the last few GTG's - you listen to a bunch of tracks for about an hour on "A", then everyone leaves, speakers are switched, and the same thing is done with "B".

The participants take 5 minutes to write notes between the switch.

Yes, you lose the instant back and forth, but you gain a more realistic listening session. You also gain the ability for the listeners to move around - check how well both speakers did off axis ... closer to the front, further back ... etc ...

bridgman #411988 05/06/15 01:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: bridgman
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Yes, these are real, built and owned by a friend of a friend. Both are huge vintage stereophiles ...

Given the size of those speakers, it's not clear exactly where the parentheses should go in your second sentence...

huge (vintage stereophiles) ?

(huge vintage) stereophiles ?

I wrote that with a few beers in me.
Let's rephrase.

Yes, these {speakers} are real, built and owned by a friend of a friend. Both {lads} are huge {long time, enthusiastic, dedicated} vintage stereophiles.

Phew.
Just about broke my thesaurus there.

Last edited by chesseroo; 05/06/15 01:43 PM.

AAAA #411989 05/06/15 01:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
The beauty about what you guys built is it is waaay faster than a normal switch, and cant accidentally short something out if you are doing amp comparisons. A normal speaker selector switch used for an amp comparison would be hazardous to equipment unless the user was really focused on turning all off between cycles and turning the other on. That box would be a neat project.

I think my buddy has the electrical specs diagram written down somewhere if you want it. I'm fairly sure he sent it to me once.

craigsub #411990 05/06/15 02:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite

One thing I have noticed with groups of 4 or more in a listening session is the "AB" instant switching tends to annoy most of the people in the test.

The A/B switching, especially when done quickly, instantaneously, is definitely more of a solo activity. However, you could have a short segment where you tell everyone that the switch will be toggled every 5 seconds for 1 minute (a total of 12 toggles), a fairly short test. If people focus on specific musicals tones (bass, treble, voices, etc.) after every 3 switches, they can get a more accurate observation of those specific things.
"Does X speaker immediately have more bass than Y?
Switch.
Listen again.
Switch.
Listen again.
Switch
Listen again.

Restart the same music piece.

Does X vocals sound brighter or muffled in comparison?"
Switch.
Listen again.
Switch.
Listen again.
Switch
Listen again.

The instantaneous method REALLY makes a huge difference in observing these variations between units and is much more similar to how Axiom has their setup as well, just that the Axiom switching unit isn't quite as quick a switch as the one i've used here.

This instantaneous switching is where level matching becomes very important because you can immediately notice if one speaker sounds louder than another. It also makes it easy to observe if the speakers are located on the right or the left which is why i suggest sitting a bit farther back (say 12' or more) and play the music in mono. This goes a long way to eliminating the left and right pull that can fool your ears into thinking it is a sound character difference vs. spatial location.
Again, this is why such a test is better done solo since having 12 guys located in different spots in the room would have that left vs. right issue the more off axis they were located, but it is worth trying in a group IMO, just for a very short period.
Reduces aggravation.
Hand out an extra beer before the test (or 'green chocolate' if you happen to live in Colorado).

chesseroo #412003 05/06/15 10:08 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Chess, I'll take you up on that for sure. If for nothing else than to learn something. smile

craigsub #412005 05/06/15 11:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Craig, have you had the opportunity to hear any of the Martin Logan Dynamo subs?

Adrian #412009 05/06/15 11:40 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Chess - I am familiar with this type of mono test - back in the late 70's, when I actually was employed full time selling audio equipment, this was how we evaluated speakers under consideration for the store. Those were fun times in audio ... beefy amps, great two channel sound ...

I have a feeling this GTG will be a lot "lighter" than that - but let's see what happens between now and November.

Adrian - I have not heard the Martin Logan subs. They do look interesting. It's likely I will be purchasing a pair of SVS PC-12 Plus subs to compare to a single EP-800.

The PC-12's are $300 less than the outlet price (A Stock) for the EP-800, but a $2180 package vs. a $2480 package seems pretty fair, especially considering the "higher WAF" of the $2480 package.

I might also grab a pair of Prime Towers. Between the M100's, M50's, Martin Logan ESL Hybrids and Prime Towers ... PLUS an EP800 / PC-12 plus pair, there will be plenty to keep me busy having fun.

craigsub #412081 05/10/15 02:25 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
The Marantz receiver arrived, and it is fired up. A thread has been opened on Home Theater Shack here:

Home Theater Shack Long Term Listening Test

Hopefully, I will be able to get some pics put together in the next day or two.

craigsub #412233 05/19/15 03:36 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys - Things are moving forward nicely. The M100's and M50's should be ready to ship in two weeks, and we are adding a pair of Legacy Signature SE's to the mix ... They are quite the high end speaker, and will definitely be great to have for this project.

craigsub #412248 05/19/15 08:27 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Hi Craig, by including the Legacy Sig SE's you have my undivided attention! I have wondered what it is about these and the Salk SS8's that commands such glowing remarks, owner loyalty in some of the other Audio forums. At the end of the day they're just speakers. But, at their price point they're also a healthy dent in the wallet! I personally have not heard either one and am looking forward to your critique.

Jeff

Jeff_in_the_D #412255 05/20/15 11:34 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Jeff - I have not yet heard the Signatures, but I did own a pair of Legacy's original flagship speakers, the Model 1's, purchased in 1988.

Today, in the line up, they would be considered the ancestor to the Classic HD's. They were a wonderful speaker - real subwoofer quality bass, clear mids, excellent highs ...

The Signature SE's have the same midrange ant tweeter as the Focus and Whisper, with the Focus having dual mids, and the Whispers quad mids.

The Signatures should deliver sound quality comparable to the upper line Legacy models, but without the ultimate dynamic abilities. They only seem "small" in contrast with the bigger Legacy models. Let's face it - $6995 per pair as the "standard finish" model is fairly high end to most people.

The M100's are in for quite the challenge. Both companies have extensive research facilities, and engineer from the ground up. The standard finish Signatures, at $6995, are about double the price of the M100's with the upgraded wood finish.

Legacy is known for their furniture quality finishes - and yes, even this will be part of the review process: The appearance of the speakers.

craigsub #412377 05/30/15 12:12 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Hi all ... The M100's and M50's shipped today, and the Legacy Signature SE's will ship on Monday.

I also ordered and received several new discs - some Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, an Acoustic Guitar CD with 14 tracks on it, some classical ... this is starting to get to be a lot of fun!

craigsub #412382 05/30/15 01:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When you can, please pass along the title of the Acoustic Guitar CD. I've been looking for some nice acoustic guitar stuff to listen to.

Jack

Ajax #412398 05/30/15 10:04 PM
old hand
old hand
Ajax - Not suggesting this is what Craig has picked up, but you might be interested in it anyway:

The Guitar Trio: DeLucia, DiMeola, McLaughlin

DrStrangeQuark #412399 05/30/15 10:36 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
The Guitar disc is "Masters of Acoustic Guitar" from Narada Collections. I am listening now to just the first track, and it's already excellent - will report on it in more depth later.

Dr.... thanks for the link. More guitar is a good thing!

craigsub #412401 05/31/15 12:16 AM
J
devotee
devotee
J
DR SQ thanks for the suggestion, always enjoyed DiMeola and McLaughlin, may have to check this one out.
Jeff

Jeff_in_the_D #412402 05/31/15 02:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks DSQ and Craig. I'll check them both out.

Jack

Ajax #412420 06/02/15 01:30 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Hi guys - Most of the Axiom speakers arrived today. It was funny - I get home, and am looking at the boxes, and thought they accidentally sent an EP600 instead of an EP-800.

Turns out this was the box for the center channel.

Anyway, I fired up the M50's where the Martin Logans were, and they are now burning in for the next 48 hours. More later ... smile

craigsub #412425 06/02/15 04:08 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi craigsub. I'm just commenting on the fact that you are "burning in" your new Axioms. Good move. There is debate about whether it's needed or not but mine took about 60 hours before the sense of ear strain disappeared. Enjoy

7800 #412446 06/03/15 12:01 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Good morning guys .. time for a quick update. All the equipment has arrived - I now have a pair of M100's, a pair of M50's, an EP800, a VP180, and an ADA-1000 5 ...

Last night, while relaxing, I listened to some music on the M50's with about 10 hour's worth of burn in time. Coming off the Martin Logans, I have to say they are one impressive small tower.

The last disc was Supertramp's mid 80's "Brother, Where you Bound". This is another reference quality disc, with an 18 minute long song having the same name as the Album. The M50's, while still needing time to "breathe", did a terrific job on this disc. Bass was deep and tight, the sound effects were quite noticeable, and the overall presentation was powerful.

In the title song, there is one portion where a military formation walks from the right side to the left of the "stage". Good speakers will give the effect that the marchers start "outside" one side and to the outside of the other ... and the M50's handled this with ease.

There is a lot of "work" to be done, but so far, the M50's are sounding good.

The Legacy Signature SE's get delivered today, and the M100's are sitting in the same room with the M50's.

The fact that I am not experiencing "let's get the $1000 speaker test done so we can do the $3000 and $7000 speakers" is pretty cool.

craigsub #412449 06/03/15 03:23 PM
old hand
old hand

Craig -- Exciting. Looking forward to following this process. My long anticipated M80s + EP500s also arrive off of layaway in about a month so we are on a parallel timeline. (center VP180 & surrounds too, but the projection room is not quite done, so it will be stereo music + subs in the office for a while).

cheers - DSQ

DrStrangeQuark #412462 06/04/15 12:11 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys ... posted this on Home Theater Shack tonight:

The M50's arrived two days ago (along with the M100's, but as promised, the M50's are first up). They have about 20 hours on them, and tonight is the first round with Diana Krall. The M50's are a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a let down after 6 weeks of listening to the Martin Logans, and they are anything but a let down.

Krall's voice is as seductive as ever, the stand up bass clear, guitar work sounds wonderful, and even the light cymbal work by the drummer is coming through naturally. Where most speakers in the $1000 range are lacking is dynamics, but the M50's will easily play louder, without strain, that I will ever want to listen. On the flip side, they also get "quiet" in the way a much more expensive speaker would. I can't say the M50's are "better" than the Martin Logans - but they are making for a similar experience on the Krall disc.

Neither the Martin Logans nor the M50's deliver subwoofer bass, but both do 40 Hz well, and both a comparably tight and musical. It is only the first night of serious listening, but so far, these are some very fine speakers.

craigsub #412463 06/04/15 02:19 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
As I've said before, I've always liked the simple driver compliment of the M50s & always wondered how they sounded. They would be my choice for towers if I went that way.

I'm glad to see that they are faring well...

TAM

exlabdriver #412503 06/05/15 06:14 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Hi guys - Time for another update. All the speakers have arrived, including the Legacy Signature SE's.

I did some more listening last night - Dire Straits "Making Movies" and a test disc that Legacy includes with a speaker purchase. The Legacy disc is a mix of male and female vocals, several classical selections, Acoustic Guitar ... etc ...

The First song is "Novocaine" by Amber Rubarth. This was my first listen to her music, and I already have ordered a disc form her called "Sessions" from 2012. She has a distinctive voice, and there is so much air around her in this song "Novocaine" that it got 3 listens last night.

The M50's are continuing to impress a LOT. Deep soundstage, very smooth on vocals, yet with lots of detail.

Starting tonight, the M100's will get their 60 hours of break in, with some listening early next week, then next week will finish with the Legacy speakers getting the same treatment.

After all four sets of speakers have had break in time and this initial listening, it will be "round robin" listening for several months.

Keep in mind, we are looking at a pair of $998 delivered M50's, $2498 in a store Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, $2660 delivered M100's and finally $6995 delivered Legacy Signature (with what most companies would consider a premium finish as standard).

Axiom prices are for vinyl, and from Outlet Store.

This is getting more fun all the time.

craigsub #412545 06/08/15 12:11 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys ... just posted this on Home Theater Shack (edited for here to avoid redundancy):

All four speakers have now arrived - plus the original Klipsch LaScala II's. We now have in ascending order by price:

1. Axiom M50's
2. Martin Logan Electromotion ESL Hybrids
3. Axiom M100's .
4. Legacy Audio Signature SE's
5. Klipsch LaScala II's @ $7000 per pair

Our Martin Logans came from Audio Advisor, while the LaScala II's came from One Call. Thanks to both companies for superb service.

The Axiom M100's have spent the last 50 hours burning in, and we did some listening today. My daughter is studying music theater at the university level, with 2 years of opera training. She stopped by today and spent about an hour listening to various vocals and other tracks of unamplified music.

She was very impressed with the Axioms - for someone with her training to comment that the "performers sound like they are here singing" is quite the compliment for a speaker. The M100's are in that "high end" speaker arena in which one hears detail one usually misses with other speakers.

I am definitely looking forward to spending time with them - especially with a weather forecast of rain the next 2 nights.

The Legacy Signatures are standing by - and looking fantastic in the high gloss black pearl finish.

craigsub #412570 06/09/15 12:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I would be really interested in knowing a couple things with the M100
1) size of the room you are doing the demo in
2) how far they are from the back wall and side

Andrew suggested these ,however if, I build a movie room it will be 15 x 23 or 17 x 23. not sure yet. or I will put them in a renovated room that's 13 x 17 and I believe that's too small for these.

Last edited by TroyD; 06/09/15 12:18 AM.

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

TroyD #412573 06/09/15 12:36 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Troy - Our room is 44 x 14.5 feet, but the sitting position is only about 12 feet from the M100's. They are appx. 2 feet from the side walls and 3 feet from the back walls.

Did you and Andrew discuss the smaller room when he suggested the M100's? Or was this in context of the larger two room options?

craigsub #412581 06/09/15 11:52 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Craig. I am curious to know the actual setup that you have. I know you have given it mixed in throughout the 11 pages of posts.

Specifically, for the past bit are you just testing the speakers in Stereo mode (ie only two speakers without any additional sub).

I ask as it seems that there is a fixation around here for getting more from the bottom end frequencies of the speakers. I would really like to see an honest opinion of the M50 vs M100 in a pure 2 speaker test, and then how they sound against each other when a sub is added into the mix.

From reading many of the question posts here on the forum, I get a gut feeling that many users out there (myself included) just don't have an understanding of the correlation between frequency response, speakers and the music we listen to. Without that we are just throwing money and effort against a wall to see what sticks.

MMM #412588 06/09/15 01:15 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Matt - Thanks for a great question ...

For the initial series of listening, the set up is a very straight forward 2 channel test. A Marantz 7008 receiver is being used as the 2 channel amp. All processing is turned off - basically, what we have is an honest 164 WPC amp into 8 ohms and 215 WPC into 4 ohms, amplifier driving each pair of speakers.

The CD player is a Marantz DV-6001 universal player that sold for about $600 new.

These are "real world" components. I wanted to drive the speakers with the type of equipment one would typically use instead of the practice we often see where Stereophile tests a pair of $1000 speakers with a $40,000 amp set up.

For later tests, I have available the Axiom ADA-1000-5 power amplifier, which will allow for bi-amping the M-100's and Signature SE's with 250 WPC dedicated to both the bass sections and upper sections of each speaker.

In listening tests so far, the M50's have been really impressive for a small tower selling for $998 per pair. The M-100's are a more revealing, and powerful speaker in every sense. There is a family resemblance to the sound of both speakers - they are neutral, have great dynamics ... etc ...

The M-100's are a "big brother" to the M-50's, which is not a surprise.

Adding a subwoofer to the M50's, and taking away having to produce bass below 80 Hz will likely "clean up" the sounds in the mids. To what I "think" is your point: I would like to explore how good a pair of M-50's and an EP-350 is. At under $2000 for a 2.1 system, and in an easy to drive speaker, it could be a real bargain system that gets you to 22 Hz.

The 5 channel system I would like to explore would be the M-50's, the EP-350, a VP-100 and a pair of M-3's.

This is a $2531 system in the outlet store.

Last edited by craigsub; 06/09/15 01:25 PM.
craigsub #412590 06/09/15 02:29 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi Craigsub. Are you planning to use an external crossover during your bi-amp tests? It would be too cool if Axiom had one available. Looking forward to the results as I have been toying with the idea of bi-amping the front array of my LFR1100v4's.

7800 #412591 06/09/15 03:06 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
As of now, the bi-amping would be as suggested by Axiom - passive bi-amping. This still yields benefits over running full range.

Perhaps Andrew could address the issues with active, or electronic bi-amping.

For those who don't know what this would mean: Active, or electronic bi-amping has an "pre-amp" level controller which would dedicate the power amp to the frequencies as specified.

For example, Let's look at the LFR-1100 and M-100 ... they cross over from the bass section to the mid/tweeter section at 160 Hz.

With an active crossover, the two amps would be separated by the crossover, with the bass amp dedicated to frequencies below 160 Hz and the mid/tweeter amp handling frequencies above 160 Hz.

With passive bi-amping, the speaker's crossover handles this within the speaker itself, and is separating the high level signal from the power amp.

The amplifier is less taxed when using an electronic crossover than in passive bi-amping. There are other issues that arise with active bi-amping, especially in level matching the drivers, which the current speaker crossover already does.

This would be something that Axiom would decide was a worthy "accessory" with the LFR-1100 and M-100.

My guess is that with an amp like the ADA-1000-6 available, if Axiom was going to bi-amp, they would jump to tri amp, with a dedicated amp to each the woofer section, mid range section and tweeter section, making for an "active" speaker system with the M-100.

With the LFR-1100, it would require dual ADA-1000-5's, and ten total channels of amplification, to tri-amp this to a full functional tri-amp set up.

This would be quite the project, for sure.

Last edited by craigsub; 06/09/15 03:11 PM.
craigsub #412601 06/09/15 06:59 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By craigsub
Matt - Thanks for a great question ...

In listening tests so far, the M50's have been really impressive for a small tower selling for $998 per pair. The M-100's are a more revealing, and powerful speaker in every sense. There is a family resemblance to the sound of both speakers - they are neutral, have great dynamics ... etc ...

The M-100's are a "big brother" to the M-50's, which is not a surprise.

Adding a subwoofer to the M50's, and taking away having to produce bass below 80 Hz will likely "clean up" the sounds in the mids. To what I "think" is your point: I would like to explore how good a pair of M-50's and an EP-350 is. At under $2000 for a 2.1 system, and in an easy to drive speaker, it could be a real bargain system that gets you to 22 Hz.

The 5 channel system I would like to explore would be the M-50's, the EP-350, a VP-100 and a pair of M-3's.

This is a $2531 system in the outlet store.

That is exactly my question. I have a set of LFR1100's so it's rather a redundant question for myself. I know the sound that I get with the LFR and the bass is just about right for the music that I listen to. As some point I will try getting a nice tight sub to get my down to that mystical 17hz, but for the most part I don't know if I really need it.

However in reading the posts from people saying how they'd get a set of M80 but the M100 are just too large, and then in the same breath talk about a sub woofer that have.

I know from my experience, the sound of a smaller speaker with a sub is different than a large capable speaker without. Not saying one is better than the other, just different. I know that I am not musically trained and couldn't tell you if my hearing is shot for all these nuances that get reported in a demo review. I just know what I like and what I don't.

I just thought it would be great to get an honest review of that mid sized M50 both with and without the added sub and compare it to the big brother M100 so you can make a more informed decision when out purchasing.

MMM #412603 06/09/15 07:25 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Matt - Yes, there will be some comparative notes between the M100's without a sub and the M50's with a sub.

As this concept of trying out various product continues, other aspects will also be discussed. For example, let's say a guy is looking at home theater, and has $2500 for speakers. He typically buys his $2500 system, and in two years, he wants more.

The Axiom trade up program is rather unique. I ran an example on this, and a guy with a pair of 2 year old M50's would get about $600 of his $998 back towards a pair of M80's if he wanted to trade up.

If price is a consideration, future retained value should also be considered.

Who knows - maybe I will be trading the M100's on a pair of LFR-1100's next year.

craigsub #412604 06/09/15 07:39 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Who knows - maybe I will be trading the M100's on a pair of LFR-1100's next year.

I lasted about 20 days.. Though I traded from the M80 to the LFR1100. Figured that I am only on this planet for a short time and might as well enjoy myself while here. I believe in spending money for a good ROI. It's getting bang for the buck without slipping to far into that point of diminishing return

Last edited by oakvillematt; 06/09/15 07:41 PM.

MMM #412670 06/11/15 01:01 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys - below is the latest update on Home Theater Shack ..

Axiom M100 notes:

Legacy Audio Test Disc:

The first cut on this disc is from a singer with whom I was previously unaware. Her name is Amanda Rubarth, and the song is called Novocaine. It is a remarkable disc of her, her guitar, some violin, and subtle effects of footfalls, percussion on the guitar ... it is a tremendous disc. Amanda's voice is haunting (and this song has me ordering a couple of her CD's). My daughter, who has been in the performing arts for several years, including two years of opera training, stopped by the listening room, and she was quite impressed by both the song, and how good the speakers are.

Her words: "Dad, you have had a lot of great sounding speakers, but with these, she sounds like she is here".

The rest of the disc is also a treasure of deep bass funk, jazz and classical music, and the M100's made me want to listen to this disc several times, which I have. BUT ... keeping in mind this is a long term test, it was time for more music.

Pink Floyd's The Wall

As good as the Martin Logan ESL Hybrids and the Axiom M50's were on "The Wall", the M100's take this disc to a new level. The most remarkable aspect of the performance on The Wall was how well the M100's bring out all the subtle sonic cues from the background. I have heard this disc over a thousand times, and have never tired of it. There were voices in the background that I had never heard before (a side note on this ... the Legacy Signature SE's are in the bullpen, and I am looking forward to hearing what they do with The Wall).

Bass is close to subwoofer ... and I mean LARGE subwoofer .. .deep. A subwoofer will add to the M100's, but as a full range speaker, they dig out the low stuff, with lots of slam. The Helicopter scene is "scary putting a smile on your face" good. The macrodynamic ability of the M100's is well beyond what one would expect, especially in a $2660 per pair speaker that can also delineate the subtle notes so well.

craigsub #412697 06/12/15 12:04 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Going along the PinkFloyd line, you need to close your eyes and put on Wish You Were Here. You will swear blind that David Gilmore has moved in and is plucking his electric just beyond finger tip length away.

MMM #412702 06/12/15 02:25 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Matt - That is a great track, and an all time favorite song. It will eventually get some play. smile

craigsub #412795 06/14/15 08:19 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
As promised - here is a pic of all 4 pairs of speakers lined up ...

craigsub #412796 06/14/15 08:47 PM
M
M
Are the drivers on the M50s black or is that an optical illusion?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
craigsub #412797 06/14/15 09:27 PM
old hand
old hand

Wow, gorgeous. Nice looking room too -- love the red/gold.

You got a real wood oak finish on all the Axiom models, yes? Some closeups would be great! The craftsmanship looks amazing from here. Same up close, I will bet.

I love the real wood, esp. satin maple (would match some furniture pieces I've built), although going stock / outlet finish for my own order.

DrStrangeQuark #412798 06/14/15 09:58 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Mojo - They are white drivers. The grills are actually letting some flash through so you see the drivers in the pic. In person, you cannot see the drivers under normal lighting with grills on.

DSQ - The finish is Oak "nutmeg", and it works great in the man cave. As time permits in the near future, look for some closer pics of the finish.

Earlier today I set the Legacies and M100's in the ABAB position ... the next 2 weeks will be some comparisons between these two ... then the Martin Logans / Axiom M50's will get two weeks.

This rotation will continue for several months - at some point, the EP-800 may get some play, although I am thinking of taking up to our large theater room to use with the Klipsch LaScala system.

craigsub #412799 06/15/15 01:02 AM
I didn't recognize the Axioms for a second! I guess they've changed the grill shape at the bottom.

Ken.C #413010 06/24/15 12:05 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Good morning ... This was posted at Home Theater Shack yesterday:

Good morning - It's time for another update. Over the last few days, a lot of listening has been done between the Legacy's and the Axiom M100's.

The music tracks involved have been quite the variety from the Legacy Disc, Uriah Heep Live (1973 - a really cool disc), Diana Krall Live from Paris DVD, Michael Stanley Live From Tangiers CD: link, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (of course), Steely Dan's 2 Against Nature and Aja and a compilation of Mozart.

Both the M100's and the Signature SE's make for some excellent listening. This trait mentioned earlier of the M100's sounding more like the performers were on stage while the Legacy's sound more like the recording studio has become more than a possible trait - it's something even casual listeners are noticing.

In 1988, I purchased the Legacy Model 1's from Bill Dudleston. Back then, when a call was made to Legacy, Bill answered the phone. He was genuinely excited about his loudspeakers, selling them direct to the consumer. He offered an in home trial period LONG before other companies thought of this.

Moving 27 years into the future, when emailing Legacy, Bill answered, and we had a terrific conversation. He had a passion for music, and for making accurate speakers in 1988 and he still does.

The Signature SE's remind me a lot of the Infinity IRS Sigmas (a $10,000 per pair speaker 15 years ago), but with the ability to handle macrodynamics much better than the IRS did. The IRS Sigmas had a hard time with making music that "rocked the house" even with a McIntosh MA-6900 powering them. The Signature SE's will play louder than I can stand even with the Marantz receiver.

Bass is deep and tight, vocals are crystal clear, and imaging is precise. Every instrument comes through the Legacy's sounding like the instrument should.

In contrast to the Signature SE's, the Axioms give up a little in how clear the vocals are, and the bass is not quite as deep. The Axioms DO deliver a wider and deeper soundstage - and bring this whole experience of "listening to the performance on stage" to life.

For example, on the "playground scene" from The WALL ... where the guy is threatening no pudding if one does not eat one's meat, the Axioms place the children in the background outside the side walls (there is a joke in there somewhere), where the Legacy's have the children coming from the speakers.

On Amanda Rubarth's Novocaine, each lyric is amazingly clear on the Legacy's, while the Axioms require more of one's attention. The Axioms have more depth and width of sound stage, which again extended outside the speakers.

The Michael Stanley Live at Tangiers disc has become a standard bearer over the last couple of weeks, and both speaker pairs were "doing their thing" while switching back and forth.

The Legacy's were intimate, making one want a scotch and a cigar. The Axioms were "live", making one want to give a dirty look to the moron three rows back thinking it was ok to fire up a joint.

Both speakers can handle pretty much anything you throw at them, and there will be more details coming after more listening sessions. The next experiment is going to be blocking a port or three on the Axioms to see what effect this has in the bass department.

craigsub #413011 06/24/15 01:08 PM
M
M
Craig, are the Axioms toed in? The difference you are hearing with the Axioms compared to the Legacys is likely due to a sacrifice in the direct response for the sake of improved linearity in reflected response.

I noticed what you described with my M80v2. I had them toed in for a few months and they sounded like the "studio" experience you described. The more I toed them in, the more "studio-like" they sounded. When I eliminated the toe-in, I sacrificed some clarity for what I considered to be a better experience.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #413012 06/24/15 02:15 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Mojo - Both speakers are toed in, and in an AB ... AB arrangement. When reading my post, keep in mind it was the Legacy's that sounded more like the studio, not the Axioms.

I am fairly certain plugging ports on the M100's will "flesh out" vocals more. There is some emphasis in the 40 Hz range on the Axioms with all the ports open. This happens to be a sound I like, but it may also be causing (female) vocals to be a bit harder to define on the M100's than the Legacy's.

I did do more male vocal listening last night, and the M100's are actually a little clearer on male vocals. The differences in both male and female vocal clarity on both speakers is excellent - the best I have ever owned.

Last edited by craigsub; 06/24/15 02:22 PM.
craigsub #413014 06/24/15 02:55 PM
M
M
To clarify my last post, I'm saying my m80v2 sound more studio-like and intimate as they are toed in and more concert-like when they are not toed in.

craigsub #413016 06/24/15 04:53 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
What a wonderful review. And in there you clearly define the problem with reviews. There are two speakers that are shall I say equally as good as each other, but produce sounds in a different way. If you are a person who is looking for a more enveloping laid back and wrap yourself in the music, then you will side for the Axiom, where if you are one who is into pristine detail by the book, you will prefer the Legacy SE.

In most reviews you are given a judgement based on bias and influenced by conjecture as without knowing the tastes of the reviewer, you cannot tell if your experience will be the same.

I do like your review style as it gives me a point of reference to go by.

MMM #413018 06/24/15 11:20 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Mojo - Thanks for the clarification. It would be interesting to, when we are not doing comparison listening with two pairs of speakers, to try various speakers with and without "toe in" and report on the audible differences, if there are any.

Matt - Thank you. As I was not sure how this style of review would work in the "real world", positive feedback helps.

craigsub #413019 06/25/15 04:27 AM
M
M
I should clarify again that my toe in was severe. 45 degrees severe! The difference between toe in and no toe in was very audible.

House of the Rising Sone
craigsub #413021 06/25/15 08:57 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Great insights so far Craig. I like how you are characterizing each speakers performance in relatable terms.

Based on your initial impressions is it fair to say the Axioms live sound is due to their wide dispersion and smooth off axis response? The legacys by contrast seem more directional and would hint a rolloff of higher frequencies off axis.

To bias the m100s toward a studio sound you can reduce early reflections. This will improve imaging and clarity at the expense of ambience and spaciousness. This is what Mojo was doing with severe toe in. I would be curious to see what placing absorbers along the sides of your A/B test setup would do to your test result. My prediction is the Axioms would approach the Legacy sound in terms of clarity and intimacy. The Legacys would take on a more live/spacious sound if strong reflections were placed alongside your test.

Diffusers alongside your A/B test would result in a staggeringly wide soundstage with the Axioms at the expense of pinpoint clarity.

Do you find that over time your preference leans towards a live or studio sound wrt the speaker design?

craigsub #413022 06/25/15 12:22 PM
E
frequent flier
frequent flier
E
I have an interesting note to make about the "live" sound of the Axioms.

When I visited my local AV store last week, the guy there was showing me their collection of Bryston A-series speakers. Among them they had the A-1s, which is akin to the Axiom M-100's, as I'm sure you all well know.

This guy loves to relate background stories to me about speakers/amps, etc. (case in point, he has many times talked to me about the NRC project which resulted in many Canadian speaker makers...).

But, coming back to my point, on this day he talked about James Tanner's quest to develop a speaker which could accurately reproduce the live music experience.

The guy at my AV shop said that the A-1's were, bar none, the best he had ever heard at achieving this (in his opinion, of course).

Knowing what we know about Bryston and Axiom working on these speakers together, perhaps it is not accidental that the Axioms also reflect this trait?

EastCoast #413023 06/25/15 01:39 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Mojo - 45 degrees is pretty severe, it's easy to understand why the difference was so audible. Even the response curve will be shaped quite differently at the listening position.

The speakers here are at appx. a 10 degree toe in.

The female voice ranges from about 160 to 1280 Hz, and of course, harmonics above this. The differences between the two speakers is not a major one. It requires some careful listening to notice the difference.

When doing these listening tests, I won't look at measurements until after reporting what was heard. This avoids the tendency to report what the measurements suggest one should hear.

BUT - now that some listening results (and what you see posted is the result of about 20 hours of listening per speaker), some analysis is good.

In looking at the M-100 response curve, from 160 to 500 Hz - right in a female singer's "center" for most recordings - is down about 3 dB from the 100 Hz response.

I don't have a response curve to look at with the Legacy's, but it would not surprise at all if this (160 to 500 Hz) bandwidth was flat, or possibly even a bit above, the M100's.

Trying to convey all the information is quite the task. For example, when I mentioned the Legacy's went a bit deeper in the bass, I didn't mention that the M100's are more powerful in the kick drum region. On "The Wall", for example, the 35 Hz kick drum is more powerful on the M100's.

It is in the synthesized bass on a couple of tracks of "2 against nature" that the deeper bass of the Legacy's becomes apparent.

East Coast - It is no surprise that the A1's and M100's would sound comparable, if not identical. I am not sure there are any differences between them.

My personal preference leans towards the "live sound" when it comes to loudspeakers. That being said, it is also easy to appreciate what a speaker like the Legacy Signature SE brings to the table.

We are supposed to get some serious rain this weekend, and I may be stuck indoors. If so, I will try additional toe in - and probably block a port or two, with the M100's, then do more listening on the same female vocal discs.

This is where the long term aspect comes into play. I do wish there were more Legacy owners in a forum that could chime in.

craigsub #413025 06/25/15 02:57 PM
M
M
Indeed, Craig. You can see the severe toe-in at the link below. I tried this toe-in because the sound was "too spacious".

http://www.axiomaudio.com/mojo

I've tried a few things over the years to clean up the live sound including absorbing panels from Serenity_Now. The best results I've had to date is my Onk's XT32. I can say I am very satisfied now.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #413033 06/25/15 06:56 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Mojo - Great looking room - nice place to listen to music!

I have not yet tried XT-32 on any of the 4 speaker pairs here.

If the weather is as lousy this Saturday as predicted, I may hook up the EP-800 with the M100's and try the combo as a "super speaker", the M100's sealed and crossed at 60 Hz.

craigsub #413068 06/27/15 04:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Craig. Your observations on the M100s soundstage are interesting. At the last Axiom get together, the did a blind listening session for us of what turned out to be the M3 and a pair of B&W Diamond bookshelves. The Diamond's had their own strengths, but I was amazed at the soundstage the M3 created. It was far superior to a very expensive, well regarded bookshelf.

Fred

-------
fredk #413087 06/29/15 01:20 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Fred - Blind listening tests are absolutely the way to go. It's funny when people are so adamantly opposed to them ... one often hears comments such as "I don't need a blind test to tell the difference."

The response to this, of course, is: "If it's so easy to tell the difference, one should INSIST on a blind test".

craigsub #413088 06/29/15 01:24 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
For a quick update - I could no longer stare at the EP-800 sitting idle. It was fired up Friday night, and over the weekend, several movies were watched with both the Legacy's and the M100's, along with some additional listening to music.

The addition of the sub was quite helpful in music - and was so on both speakers.

And the EP-800 is quite the sub. Not enough time has been spent with it for a real review - but it had no trouble shaking our basement theater on Lord of the Rings, Two Towers.

And on music, it never "got in the way". It just extended bass, and by taking the signal below 60 Hz from the speakers, both experienced a deeper soundstage and improved vocals.

There will be more on all of this as time permits.

craigsub #413089 06/29/15 03:58 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
D Rasco stated about 'The Beast' as he calls it:

"The bass that the EP800 puts out is deep, rich, solid, very tight, impactful and unblemished."

My sentiments as well. I have a pair of Refurbed EP800 V3s HG Rosewood in a 2450 cu ft room. I can't imagine needing anymore than what I have.

They are as impressive to look at as they are to experience them shake the neighbourhood & I don't ever run my system over -10 DB for movie watching, ha!

TAM

exlabdriver #413175 07/03/15 01:02 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys - This was posted at Home Theater Shack earlier tonight:

It's time for a quick update - The last few days have been really hectic. My "day job" is working finance in the auto industry, and the end of the month is crazy, thus the lack of posts.

Saturday was a rainy mess here, so I took the time to dial in an Axiom EP-800 subwoofer with the Legacy's and M100's. After playing around, a crossover of 60 Hz was set for both speakers.

The effect is remarkable - one thing I noticed about the EP-800 is how easy it is to integrate into a music system.

By removing the bass below 60 Hz (and keeping in mind, this crossover means both the subwoofer and speakers are down 3 dB at 60 Hz, with a 12 dB per octave roll off - not a brick wall) from the main speakers and the amp section of the Marantz, the improvement in soundstage is noticeable, as is detail in every respect.

The bass quality in the EP-800 is the best I have heard, and this includes some very fine subwoofer systems from JL Audio, Velodyne and a host of ID companies, including our own. There will be more on this later, as more listening is done.

For now - either the Legacy's (and I am sure Bill's subwoofers would have a similar effect) or the Axiom's combined with the EP-800 enter into "super speaker" territory in terms of delivering the goods.

craigsub #413179 07/03/15 04:34 AM
C
CV Offline
C
The bass quality in the EP-800 is the best I have heard, and this includes some very fine subwoofer systems from JL Audio, Velodyne and a host of ID companies, including our own. There will be more on this later, as more listening is done.

Wow, high praise.

CV #413181 07/03/15 11:44 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M

Thanks for posting that. I was stuck in trepidation about ordering a pair of EP500. I was over at a friends house who had purchased an SVS sub and was raving about how much better it was than his previous one and cost $700. Here I was with 26k worth of sub on the way fearing that I just wasted my money.

craigsub #413183 07/03/15 01:09 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Craig, can you give us an idea of where you put it and its gain setting. I'm also curious about the size of your room. (Think you posted details somewhere.)

Give "Hyper-ballad" by Bjork a spin. grin 34hz 37hz 40hz never sounded so good. A bass reference test with pretty vocals attached. Lol.

A different song without a sub altogether. The bass line adds a foreboding dark undertone to the track to match the lyrical content. Good argument for subs in stereo listening. Would be interested in your impression of the M100s with and without subs on this track. smile

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 07/03/15 01:14 PM.
AAAA #413197 07/03/15 10:42 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
For music listening, the sub is running 2 dB above the reference 75 dB of the main speakers, and for movies, I decided to have fun and set it 8 dB above the mains.

The system is set as follows in our room ... Legacy Signatures are speaker A, M100's are speaker B, and the sub is S ...

A.B ......... A.B.S

As with the speakers, for the purpose of this test, the EP-800 is away from boundaries.

Our room is 44x14.5x7 feet.

craigsub #413203 07/04/15 02:36 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
I am not having any luck finding the Bjork disc. Bummer.

craigsub #413204 07/04/15 07:12 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I am not having any luck finding the Bjork disc. Bummer.

Definitely worth finding. "Hyper-ballad" is one of the first tracks that made me smile big when I got my EP600 back in the day.

craigsub #413206 07/04/15 08:03 AM
M
M

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #413443 07/12/15 05:04 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys ... just posted this today on Home Theater Shack:

Good morning all - It has been an incredibly busy week since the last update. The busy has been mostly business related with some bad golf thrown into the mix.

There has been little time for listening, but the listening sessions are still confirming that these are two remarkable loudspeaker systems. The level of detail is astonishing on both, as is that rare "musicality" that we all seek.

This is the first time in years that I have had speakers that make me want to get out old discs and order new ones. They both remind me why I loved stereo sound for so long.

The "BIG" news is ... the switcher has been ordered. Before long, we will be able to do blind tests with remote control operated switching. Level matching will be done at the pre-amp level.

I don't think any magazine outside Soundstage has this ability. This fall and winter will see a lot more done, as indoor season lends itself to this.

We will be adding two more pairs of speakers to testing in the fall - starting in October. If anyone has a suggestion .. or even wants to start a new thread with a poll, feel free.

I would also love to have a small GTG style weekend with maybe 3 listeners to do some serious blind A/B testing. If there is enough interest, we could do 3 or 4 of these from November to April.

craigsub #413444 07/12/15 05:16 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Mojo - Finally got a chance to listen to the links - Two discs are on order. That's some fun music, THANKS!!

craigsub #413450 07/12/15 06:13 PM
M
M
Enjoy :-).

House of the Rising Sone
craigsub #413451 07/12/15 06:57 PM
M
M
We will be adding two more pairs of speakers to testing in the fall - starting in October. If anyone has a suggestion .. or even wants to start a new thread with a poll, feel free.[/b]

The Model T Passive
The Legacy V
The GoldenEar Triton One

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #413453 07/12/15 07:44 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Mojo - The Legacy V STARTS at $49,500 USD per pair ... OUCH!

The Brystons and Golden Ear speakers are already under consideration, along with B&W 804D.

craigsub #413455 07/12/15 08:10 PM
M
M
"Mojo - The Legacy V STARTS at $49,500 USD per pair ... OUCH!"

Scratch that one :-).

I have my opinions on the 804D but I don't want to bias you.

House of the Rising Sone
craigsub #413464 07/13/15 01:36 AM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Craigsub, heres' a couple of others for your consideration- the Salk Soundscape 8 and Ascend Sierra Towers, would be great if both utilized a Raal tweeter.

Jeff_in_the_D #413468 07/13/15 02:14 AM
M
M
Both great choices.

craigsub #413480 07/14/15 03:36 AM
Craig, as I suggested before, a candidate at a realistic price level which has gotten very high marks is the PBS X2T. This should be considered for the additional speakers you'll be testing.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #413481 07/14/15 04:54 AM
M
M
The PSB X2Ts, Paradigm Monitor 11s and the M80v2 sound very similar. At least they did a year ago when I heard them. I liked the mid-bass of the PSB over the other two. The PSB's mid-range was a little more forward than the other two.

Jeff_in_the_D #413505 07/16/15 03:55 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Originally Posted By Strider53
Craigsub, heres' a couple of others for your consideration- the Salk Soundscape 8 and Ascend Sierra Towers, would be great if both utilized a Raal tweeter.

In all fairness the Ascend Towers are more in line with the Salk SC-ST or possibly the HT2...yeah they all use the RAAL but the Soundscapes IIRC source their woofers from AE and the highly acclaimed Accuton ceramics handle mid range duties...from my limited understanding...the AE drivers offer some of the lowest level distortion specs in the industry and why Salk uses them..I believe Seaton may also used them in his speaker designs.

Anyhow...this thread has caught my eye and why I'm following it. I do appreciate when fellow enthusiast take the time & effort in doing these sort of evaluations...whatever speakers are eventually added down the road... it should provide for an informative read.

Thanks...Craig.. smile

Last edited by billy p; 07/16/15 04:02 AM.
billy p #414096 08/15/15 12:07 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Good morning, guys ... a long overdue update is in order. The last few weeks have been busy ones. A mini vacation (lots of golf), a start up of a new company owned by my financial services company, getting an 18 year old ready to go away to university ... and some changes to the system.

The switcher is installed, and works REALLY well. Being able to do instant AB switches is so important to comparing two speakers that nothing else comes close. Of course, this does not mean people should not try - it's just much more involving with level matched, blind AB tests.

There will be a long write up of all the speakers here sometime in October - just in time for the winter season (and also when I have the time to put this all together).

For now ... All four speakers are incredibly good, and also fantastic values.

The Axiom amp (ADA-1000-5) is now in the system - four channels being used off the switcher. The Axiom amp is a big step up from the Marantz receiver. I was not expecting this to happen, but each speaker is "better" with the amp. I may even add a 1500 to the system this fall for these types of tests.

As we slowly head into "indoor season", look for some AB testing between quite a few affordable speakers. I have a pair of Ascend 340's already, and will be looking to add more speakers to the mix.

Also look for a test between an affordable bookshelf speaker with a budget subwoofer against a pair of more expensive towers.

Hopefully we can get some pics of all this in the near future.

Billy p - a long overdue thank you for a very nice post. smile

craigsub #414164 08/20/15 02:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Also look for a test between an affordable bookshelf speaker with a budget subwoofer against a pair of more expensive towers...

That one should be interesting.

Fred

-------
craigsub #414169 08/20/15 04:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think the best sound I've achieved (sounds like live music and 'wall of sound') was with a pair of M3Tis, a Velodyne DSP subwoofer, a 5 watt per channel SET tube amp and an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb tube output CD player. (Mapleshade Clearview Double Helix Cryo treated weird thin speaker wires for those of you who are offended by audio voodoo)

I have improved my way out of audio nirvana. I now have very expensive systems, with lots of drivers, lots of tweeters, lots of watts, but none as sweet as that little 2.1 channel tube amplified book shelf system.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #414207 08/22/15 02:56 PM
B
regular
regular
B
The bookshelf system sounded better - because YOU were younger :-)

craigsub #414212 08/22/15 04:38 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
My sweetest sounding system for music is also my 2.2 bookshelfs + subs - M2s on Axiom Stands & 2 X EP400s driven by my 35 W/Ch Integrated Tube Amp (KT88s) - mostly SACDs run through it.

No Tone Controls nor DSP chips - just Vol. I like it...

TAM

craigsub #414230 08/24/15 03:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What did you say BapchaMan? I couldn't quite hear you. Good point! My ears are not getting any younger or better.

Tam! My little SET is a KT88/12Ax7 amp. Very sweet!

I've been listening to the M100s. Wasn't loving the sound quality from a Sony CX90ES CD Player, so I stuck a FiiO Taishan DAC into the optical output of the Sony, ran the analog R/W outputs from the FiiO instead of the Sony, and WHOA! To those who say all DACS sound the same ... I was going to say come on over, but on second thought ... Suffice it to say, big difference ... all for the better.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #414234 08/24/15 12:02 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
What did you say BapchaMan? I couldn't quite hear you. Good point! My ears are not getting any younger or better.

Tam! My little SET is a KT88/12Ax7 amp. Very sweet!

I've been listening to the M100s. Wasn't loving the sound quality from a Sony CX90ES CD Player, so I stuck a FiiO Taishan DAC into the optical output of the Sony, ran the analog R/W outputs from the FiiO instead of the Sony, and WHOA! To those who say all DACS sound the same ... I was going to say come on over, but on second thought ... Suffice it to say, big difference ... all for the better.

As a "firm believer" in doing blind tests, I also admit to many times hearing changes with CD players, amps .. etc ...

In each case, a swap of equipment was made, no agenda attached, and it was immediately noticeable that a fairly large difference was being heard.

The latest was when adding the Axiom ADA-1000-5 amp into the system when we hooked up the switcher.

Both the Legacy Signature SE's and the M100's seemed to become even more open sounding, with better defined bass.

It's likely that the much higher current ability of the stand alone amp was the "cause" of this. BUT ... having heard this with CD players, DACS ... it's interesting. I could not demonstrate anything "scientific" to show meaningful results ... but my ears heard the difference.

AND ... we conducted our first AB blind test of speakers this weekend. The listener (who is a trained opera singer and has a pretty good ear) had no idea which speakers she was auditioning. In fact, she doesn't even know the names of any of the speakers I have hear.

All she knew was "A" and "B" ... I was doing the switching.

Before long, she was saying "A" or "B" when I switched speakers. They were level matched using pink noise, and we used music she liked.

She had a STRONG preference for one speaker over the other.

Everytime I switched back to "B", she was smiling. She loved "B", but only liked "A" a little bit.

I have done some of my own blind tests, with surprising results.

More on all this later.

Last edited by craigsub; 08/24/15 12:03 PM.
BapchaMan #414281 08/27/15 07:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By BapchaMan
The bookshelf system sounded better - because YOU were younger :-)

I suspected/feared this for a while but after some work (and luck) with room treatments I'm now thinking that the "great sound of my youth" was more a function of willingness to put up ugly room treatments than age. I hope.

Getting tempted to drag speakers and electronics outside before the snow starts falling and see how things sound without the room getting in the way.

Maybe I'll compromise and drag everything out to the deck, now that I have a deck (yay).

Last edited by bridgman; 08/27/15 07:40 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
craigsub #414288 08/27/15 11:03 PM
M
M
I wish you would take them out to your deck and report on their performance. And let us know how your grilled green onions turn out.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #414401 09/08/15 01:34 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Guys ... The Martin Logan ESL review is up on Home Theater Shack and can be found here: Martin Logan ESL Review

The Axiom M50 review is doe, and posted on the Axiom forum here: Axiom M50 Review

craigsub #414403 09/08/15 02:31 PM
M
M
Nice review on the ESL too. I like how you used the same songs for comparison. I can see some kind of a spreadsheet comparison in your future smile.

House of the Rising Sone
craigsub #414404 09/08/15 04:40 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Posted in error...

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 09/08/15 04:41 PM.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters