Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Right here Right now ... new Denon HT amp
JBG #410443 02/25/15 01:06 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
The immersive titles are not premium priced. Just bought John Wick. Same price as any other new release bluray (which is still pricey I guess.). I just hope it doesnt take 2-3 years for the formats to trickle up to non mainstream AVRs. Higher end brands are usually slow to adopt new features.... frown

JBG #411204 03/31/15 10:20 AM
J
JBG Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
J
DTS-X moves launch event from march to April 9th

read it here http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/DTS-X-..._medium=twitter

JBG #411206 03/31/15 11:09 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Another move into the ultra niche market. Lets face it, the average consumer is sitting happy with thier DVD player, but most likely getting their movies from a streaming source like netflix, Amazon or Apple.

The higher end consumer has their blu-ray and put together a 5.1 room for watching movies. I think that 7.1 for the most part has been panned, and the number of people who grabbed the 11.2 craze and invested will be the only ones that will likely make the jump.

Lets face it, unless the studio's take a force it move like they did with VHS, the masses will not take it up.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #411207 03/31/15 11:26 AM
J
JBG Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
J
I remember thats what they said when 7.1 came out, I think that if dolby & Dts came out with this new ceiling codec and all the major avr & speaker & movie theater have something comming out this,it's not just a fad rather it will be here to stay and become the new norm in home theaters, time will tell but I'm already onboard.

JBG #411208 03/31/15 02:06 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Not saying that the studio's aren't going to try and ram it down the general public's throat. It will be more like 3D movies. I won't go to see them and would rather see it in 2d.

How many here went out and bought a 3D TV just because they said it was going to be the next big thing and it will stay with us? Don't seem to see every TV on the market now being 3D? Heck, how many of the newer 4D TV's are 3d??

And a TV is an easy piece to upgrade in your home. Now as soon as you start to tell people that they need to put holes in the ceiling and fish new speaker wires to them ForGetAboutIt! You say that you just put in up firing speakers.. Ever heard of WAF? In the main family room, we have to put up with small micro energy speakers to get 5.0 (can't have a sub because it doesn't go with the decore). Why do you think I had to dig in my heals and DEMAND my own home theatre room with massive speakers that actually sound good.

DTS X / Atmos is extreem fringe at best to the diehards that are willing to follow. And the media studio companies are falling over themselves to try and convince the rest that you need to stay current as they are loosing relevance for the average consumer.

MMM #411209 03/31/15 02:20 PM
J
JBG Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
J
Matt You know in the consumer electronics there will always be a new thing or new tech , just like cars every year there is a new model with small changes, I can remember when there was dolby 2.0 and when dobly 5.1 came out everyone was saying 5 speakers and a sub ..just nuts. I also remember having a dvd player when the tech just came out and paying 1000$ for it , at block buster they only had 5 to 10 dvd rental titles and the guy saying this was only a fad also.. well guess what.. no more block busters. That being said yes I do have 3d projector and my tv sat company has 3d movies a few times a month… although I do belive this tech will pickup steam (my opinion) also I have the (4) M3-inceilings

7.1.4 * MRX1120 * M100s * 180HP * 4x M3-on walls * 4x M3-IC * dual XV15se * Shakers
JBG #411210 03/31/15 02:32 PM
J
JBG Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
J
I was lucky to have a WAF of 150% actually she wants more stuff in our HT decicated room.. I actually had to have her slow down a wee bit...

JBG #411211 03/31/15 03:43 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
If you want to look at historically, the move over to DVD was really a forced issue as the studio's stopped making VHS tapes. The kicker to it was that a VHS took far more money to make than a DVD but still sold in the stores for generally 1/2 the price or less of the exact same movie in DVD.

The same seems to be holding true for BluRay vs DVD. They are identical in cost to manufacture, but the studio's still mark them as a premium product and justify the extra cost as such.

Average joe on the street neighbour will own a blu-ray player and has pretty much been forced to buy a new HD TV as they just don't sell anything but, but will still rent a DVD or buy them as they cost less. The industry could kill DVD if they simply brought the price of bluray down to par in cost.

I have many neighbours that are well to do. All of them have their Media Room but not one of them have a grade system installed. They all have a 60+" TV or video projector. But at most 5.1 These are bank executives, lawfirm partners, CFO's. The only neighbour on the street with a decent system (2channel stereo) is the Postal Delivery man. He has spend obsene amounts of money and totally enjoys his setup. He is fringe.

Don't get me wrong. The studio's will always come out with something new to reinvent themselves and make thems a new standard, but for the masses, unless they pull the plug and force like they did with VHS and HD tv's the average person won't change.

JBG #411213 03/31/15 04:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow, someone is feeling a bit grumpy today...

I don't think that anyone is ramming anything down peoples' throats since VHS. There was more to it though. DVDs were better quality, easier and cheaper to make, didn't degrade (like magnetic tape does) over time, didn't have to be rewound, can jump to spots/chapters in a movie, supported better audio options, etc. It was a LOT better for everyone, so it made sense that VHS went away.

As for the object based audio, it is something that really *can* add to the experience, and you don't need to wear any funky gear like glasses for 3D. It actually improves the audio quality, vs 3D that can cause dimmed images, less smooth motion, etc.

Will everyone jump on object based audio? No. They are happy with their HTIB, but for people that like movies, it is a really nice step up.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
JBG #411217 03/31/15 09:41 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Just so everyone is aware, all new bluray audio sountracks will eventually go to immersive by default (new smpte and broadcast standards also being hammered out now, and include immersive audio ie. TV shows) Also be aware that these tracks are backwards compatible and "fold down" to a standard channel based setup if an immersive setup is not enabled. smile Nothing is being rammed anywhere. laugh

The new DTS maxed layout was leaked at avs by a builder. Adding 2/4 inceilings is nothing compared to what is possible with a maxed layout. grin

Matt, enjoy your new preamp, but dont be sour grapes on everyone who decides immersive is for them. smile Your legacy setup will sound amazing when you are done. You will always have the option to adopt later if you want to. But will never have to. Like you said, immersive is a little bit fringe, but will become mainstay once the soundtrack default is DTS:X. Immersive HTIBs are just around the corner.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters