Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help me plan a trip to Montreal.
#412306 05/26/15 01:30 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My wife wants me to take her to Canada next month. We live near Boston. She wants to drive to Niagra Falls and then to Montreal and then back home. For about a week.

I am not crazy about the idea. Seems like too much driving. I am telling her she can pick one or the other.

Does anyone know a lot about Montreal and have any suggestions. My wife's primary objective is to find some mythical Asian market where she can get fresh fruit not imported to the US.

Last edited by Lampshade; 05/26/15 01:30 PM.

M3 and
M80
Re: Help me plan a trip to Montreal.
Lampshade #412309 05/26/15 04:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That is a crazy amount of driving. I would definitely choose one or the other, as most of the stretch from NF to Montreal is long and has nothing to see. But then again, I would have 3 kids in a mini-van. Neither are exactly ideal for an "exciting" road trip.

The falls themselves are beautiful, but the surrounding area has a very "tourist trap" feel about it. If you do a google image search of Niagara Falls Ontario City, you will see what I mean. If that's what you are guys are looking for, great! But I doubt you will find any Asian markets close, though. Also, you have to pay to park everywhere - it is expensive, and they aggressively ticket.

I don't have much experience with Montreal, as I've only been there once for a training seminar. Lots of history, dining, and culture - but driving in town is a NIGHTMARE. Literally get some blood pressure meds if you go.

If you still want a "multi-city" vacation, from Montreal, it is only a 2 hour drive to Ottawa or a 2.5 hour drive to Quebec City. Both are rich with history, and Ottawa has some great museums and markets.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
Lampshade #412310 05/26/15 04:45 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Jeez, our annual fall road trips encompass 3000 to 5000 miles, taking 2 to 3 weeks & we luv it!! Mind you our trips are out on the lonely roads of the Desert SW & we avoid big cities whenever we can. We picnic at lunch & motel it for accommodation.

I also recommend that you take in Ottawa & Quebec City before heading back south. They are both really nice medium size cities that offer a lot to see. The historic section of Quebec City is very unique in North America - quite European in flavour.

BTW, as a bonus, the CAN$ is over 20% devalued right now as contrasted the the US Buck...

TAM

Lampshade #412311 05/26/15 04:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with the "one or the other" comments, too much driving.

If it were me, I'd hit Niagara for a couple of days, then head to Toronto for the "mythical Asian markets" which are abundant in the world's most multicultural city. Lots to do in T.O. as well, but it depends on what you want really. Montreal is more of a historical city if that's your thing.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Lampshade #412312 05/26/15 05:27 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Chris, that's essentially what I did for the last Axiom bash. Joyce and I drove to Niagara Falls for a couple of days, then I drove up to Axiom. After Axiom, I came home via Ottawa, Quebec, and entered northern VT.

I enjoy driving, and my trip was split up, AND I only passed through the cities. But, I'd like to do it again!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Lampshade #412321 05/26/15 09:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Lampshade
My wife wants me to take her to Canada next month. We live near Boston. She wants to drive to Niagra Falls and then to Montreal and then back home. For about a week.

I am not crazy about the idea. Seems like too much driving. I am telling her she can pick one or the other.

Does anyone know a lot about Montreal and have any suggestions. My wife's primary objective is to find some mythical Asian market where she can get fresh fruit not imported to the US.

Remind here that she cannot bring back into the US any of that stuff from the market. She will have to eat it all there, which will make here distended and bloated. That will make her latest Coach bag appear to shrink and, therefore, look fake. We wouldn't ant any of that to happen.

Last edited by BobKay; 05/26/15 09:52 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Lampshade #412331 05/26/15 11:25 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I think I can chime in as I live about 45min from Niagara Falls, so I know the area very well. I'd agree with Shawn that Niagara is a beautiful place to visit if you have never seen it. It has some lovely parks and lots of the really cheesy touristy stuff and they charge and extra 3% to all the fools who don't complain about the extra fee and refuse to pay it.

I have visit Montreal quite a few times as well. You are taking your life into your own hands driving in Montreal. The traffic lights are their for decorative purposes only. Sidewalks are fair game for motorists, but they do have some really nice art galleries and museums.

Montreal is a good 7 hours from Niagara. It's about the same time as it takes for you to get from Boston to Niagara.

I would consider taking a detor into Niagara on the Lake.. If you like wine, there are about 100 of them in the area. http://www.niagarawineryguide.com/niagara-wineries-city/

If you want to visit a Chinese Market, then I'd just go to Toronto and go up Spadina St into China Town. You can find just about anything there. Just below it is the fashion district where you can get fur coats. just east is the CN tower and Hockey Hall of Fame. And Toronto is just 1.5 hours out of Niagara. Then head north for 2.5 hours and visit Axiom.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Lampshade #412334 05/27/15 02:26 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for all the help. Toronto makes a lot of sense.

M3 and
M80
Lampshade #412335 05/27/15 03:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If you do the Toronto trip, hit the aquarium...it's located very close to the base of the CN Tower/Skydome, it's pretty amazing. Also nearby is the historic Brewery District for doing some 'sampling' and having lunch. I'd suggest Mill St. Brewery as a starting point...

Casa Loma, Royal Ontario Museum(ROM), Science Centre, Centre Island are a few places in Toronto you might like.

In Niagara, besides the actual falls, the Butterfly Conservatory is quite interesting as is Niagara-on-the-Lake. As mentioned, this is where you'll find many vineyards and the town itself is very quaint...touristy but not in the cheezy way.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Lampshade #412339 05/27/15 04:17 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
My errant post belongs here:

Niagara is home to an installation of Rotary Subs. An attraction that is a must for guys like us:

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/niagara%20fury%20index.html

TAM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082