Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dr Floyd Toole's Talk at Mcgill University
exlabdriver #412853 06/16/15 06:58 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
We watched The Hobbit 'Battle of the Five Armies' Blu Ray last evening at -15 Db with Audyssey OFF.

Sounded very good with nice clean dialogue & CC content from my VP160.

As for the movie, it was well done; however, I do tire of long continuous battle & fighting scenes similar to The Transformer series that drags out the carnage for far too long It's just too much sometimes...

TAM

fredk #412857 06/16/15 09:06 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By fredk
Originally Posted By DrStrangeQuark
Of course, one cannot really deal with room modes with an equalizer anyway (as Andrew has emphasized), since they are highly dependent upon location...

That very much depends. I was able to clean up a huge 15db peak at 56Hz that appeared almost everywhere in my room. The suck out at 72 Hz was a lost cause.

I would agree on localized peaks and nulls though.

Hi Fred -- This is an interesting / excellent observation. Let me elaborate.

All room modes (standing waves) will be intrinsically position dependent (they represent sine/cosine type spatial transitions -- or more complicated functions in oddly shaped rooms -- between pressure maxima at the room boundaries). Another way to say this is that energy conservation implies that a peak at one location must be compensated by a null elsewhere -- it can't be peaks everywhere in a zero-sum game. However, your counter example emphasizes a really critical feature: for very long wavelengths, the position dependence may be so broad (spanning across all of the listening positions in some cases) that it can really be interpreted as a global/constant effect for practical purposes, at least over the relevant confined listening area. The wavelength at 56 Hz ( note wavelength = speed of sound / frequency, where speed is ~ 343 m/s) is around 6 meters, close to twenty feet, so this caveat certainly applies.

The lowest room mode, taking parallel walls, will occur when the wall separation is half a wavelength. For a typical 20 foot dimension the lowest room mode would have a wavelength of 40 feet, or about 12 meters, which corresponds to a frequency in the ballpark of 30 Hz. In this case, there would be a null at the midpoint, with accentuation (an amplitude peak) at the boundaries. The second mode would be a full wavelength wall to wall with peaks at the boundaries (as always), but also at the dead center, in the interior listening area. The wavelength of 6 meters would correspond to a frequency right around the value you noted (say 56 Hz) and it would have positional minima (nulls) at the quarter wavelength locations, i.e. 5 feet from the front/back wall. As long as you were within, say, the inner 8 feet or so of the room, it would be pretty fair to call this a constant / global effect, as long as no one was seated close to the locations of the nulls. The third harmonic would correspond to the room dimension being 1.5 wavelengths, yielding a wavelength of 20 feet * 2/3, which is about 4 meters, corresponding to a frequency of about 85 Hz. Being an odd harmonic, there would be a null at the midpoint, which is prime listening real estate. It might just correspond to your experience (although there are effects from all three room dimensions that are more complex)

There is a nicely done writeup (which spared me from some trouble) here.

Cheers - DSQ

exlabdriver #412869 06/17/15 02:25 PM
old hand
old hand
To add a (hopefully interesting) note, the comment of Andrew's that I was referring to is from last year in his excellent Sound and Vision interview on subwoofers here.

Quote:
S&V: Would you recommend S&V readers buy four smaller subs, two midsized subs or one large sub, if the price for the different packages were about the same?

AW: I think the sweet spot is to buy two. That’s going to give you a pretty decent balance between output level and linearity. If all you’re concerned about is output and you think your room correction system can fix the problems—although it can’t—go for the single $1,500 sub. If it’s a smaller room or you don’t listen that loud, absolutely put in four subs. We did a study on this a few years ago and four subs will always give you the smoothest response. With two you get fairly decent output but it’ll be smoother than just one.

People think when you put more subs in you get +3 or +6 dB more output. That might happen if you stacked them in a corner. But if they’re in different positions, where there might be a peak with one sub’s output it might be a dip with another sub, and they’ll cancel each other out. You may get a little more output and you’ll certainly get more headroom. But two subs doesn’t mean +6 dB more output compared to one.

I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth, but it seems safe enough to extrapolate a bit. With multiple subs, placed at different locations, the way in which they excite the room modes, interact with the boundaries, and transmit sound to your location may be distinct. These two sources will interfere and tend to cancel each other's imperfections to some extent. The difficulty of the problem is that it does not exist just in the global frequency domain, but additionally varies locally from point to point. With two perfectly co-located subs, you will double the pressure output. The power is proportional to this quantity squared, so it goes up by a factor of 4. 10*Log_10 ( 4 ) = 6 dB. But, since the output of the two is spatially identical, the 6 dB boost is contributing to exactly the same peaks in exactly the same locations, and not improving the smoothness at all. If all that one wants is power, then doubling the number of subs will actually quadruple the power delivered at a location where peaks coalesce, at least for the selected frequencies. Of course, there is a price for this. Doubling the number of subs must, on average, precisely double the delivered power. This is not 6 dB, but 10*Log_10 ( 2 ) = 3 dB. You can't get 6 dB everywhere, it violates energy conservation, and the dynamic imbalance between peaks/nulls will be made worse at the spots where you do get it (for certain frequencies). If the subs are not co-located, then the interference may have the effect of spatial averaging, which would be a good thing for smoothness of response in various locations, limiting the artificial inflation or negation of frequencies that interact in particular ways with the room geometry.

Also relevant is the next Q/A:

Quote:
S&V: How do you feel about the automatic EQ and room correction technologies that are built into receivers and pre/pros?

AW: As long as you can force them to work only at low frequencies, they can be very beneficial. Broadband room correction we are in total disagreement with because there’s so much variability, not only in the way the different systems work but in the target curves they’re attempting to correct to.

A properly designed loudspeaker will work in any decent room. If you have a bad room, room EQ may help a little bit, but it’s not going to fix it. Also, the EQ curve shouldn’t have a boost anywhere. You cannot fill in a valley caused by a room mode. You’re just going to waste amplifier power. Either use multiple subs or acoustic treatment to fix the problem. You might get a couple of dB measured improvement by trying to fill in the dip with EQ, but you’ll probably have to boost +6 dB or more, which means you’ll be hitting the limiter earlier, which will affect the sound.

Cheers - DSQ

Last edited by DrStrangeQuark; 06/17/15 02:27 PM.
exlabdriver #412884 06/17/15 09:41 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Its fantastic to have you here DSQ. Excellent, well presented and informative posts. Cant wait to hear a little more about your space and maybe have you pick mine apart once I get rolling on setup.

exlabdriver #412889 06/18/15 02:15 PM
old hand
old hand

Serenity -- very kind & glad to be here. I should put some pictures of my build up at some point. Its slow work, as I tend to go in little fits and bursts as time and energy allow. I've got a name picked out ... "The Limited Edition". I have a large collection of film (mostly StarWars and Rings) statues, and the current (now nearly concluding) phase of the build is shelving.

Look forward to some info on your build/setup as well, and happy to comment, but please don't mistake me for an expert on the more practical/applied aspects of listening room optimization (and certainly not on loudspeaker design). The underlying physics I generally do understand, but the application of those basic concepts to real environments is very specialized and requires experience more than anything else -- in that regard I am mostly a novice.

Cheers - DSQ

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020