Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25
Re: Question for the BBQ experts
Wid #413348 07/09/15 12:29 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By Wid
Anyone I've talked to that uses a pellet smoker really likes them. I never ate anything from one but they get good reviews. You have to watch the cost of the fuel, some report it can get expensive.

I have a pellet grill/smoker (Green Mountain) and I love it. Goes low enough to smoke, and high enough to grill. The food that comes off of it is wonderful!

Mark
Pio 94,SB3,BD30,A35,Pio 48AV.Pronto 7000 controlling all. Getting ready for 22s, 150 & QS8s.
fredk #413357 07/09/15 03:20 PM
shareholder in the making
Do pellet smokers use traditional...i.e., "heating" pellets?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #413371 07/09/15 08:24 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Do pellet smokers use traditional...i.e., "heating" pellets?

Heating pellets are a no-no. You must use food grade wood pellets for smoking. I have heard of a few select pellet suppliers that say their heating pellets are food grade, but I would think the majority are not suitable.

mapatton #413372 07/09/15 08:32 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By mapatton
Originally Posted By Wid
Anyone I've talked to that uses a pellet smoker really likes them. I never ate anything from one but they get good reviews. You have to watch the cost of the fuel, some report it can get expensive.

I have a pellet grill/smoker (Green Mountain) and I love it. Goes low enough to smoke, and high enough to grill. The food that comes off of it is wonderful!

Which model GM do you have Mark? I have been looking into options for a dedicated smoker for some time now. I have used a standard Weber kettle for many years with great success, but I keep thinking I should get something "serious"! The problem is what should I buy? I have friends that swear by the simple WSM, others love their Big Green Eggs, and then there are the pellet guys. They tend to brag about not having to babysit them, but everyone one of them that I know personally (all have Traegers) have suffered from controller failure at some point! Yikes! I don't want to plunk down a pile of $$$ only to have the electronics give up the ghost in a year or two. Also, I am not sure of the availability of smoking pellets in Canada...I am sure they are available, but they could be very expensive. Any input is appreciated!

Andrew #413373 07/09/15 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By Andrew
Heating pellets are a no-no.

I assumed so, but have never heard of "food grade pellets".

MarkSJohnson #413381 07/10/15 05:00 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Heating pellets are a no-no.

I assumed so, but have never heard of "food grade pellets".

That would be because there is no such thing as a food grade pellet. It's not a regulated product. Its marketing fluff. If the pellet is all hardwood 'clean' hardwood, you can burn it in your smoker. Talk to the manufacturer.

What you may get from companies that manufacture specifically for the smoker/grilling market is specific blends of hardwoods that are supposed to impart the right flavour.

Some people claim they cannot taste the difference between a quality 'heating' pellet and the 'food grade' pellets out there. Others claim they can. I wonder if it is one of those things where you have to do side by side tastings to tell the difference.

FWIW, most (not sure which) food grade pellets contain something like 70% oak and 30% flavour woods. You can buy pure pellets (ie: 100% hickory, mesquite...) but now you are paying a real premium.

Quality hardwood heating pellets will run you 10 - 12 cents per pound. Blended food grade runs around $1 per pound. Pure flavour woods are more.

I've found a company local to me that produces a hardwood pellet consisting of oak, cherry and walnut that I plan to try out. They state on their website that the pellets are hardwood sawdust only, no binders or other stuff (like MDF??). If I can find a reliable source for pure flavour woods here, I can probably make my own blends at a much lower cost than what is offered by the 'food grade' manufacturers.

Andrew. Think of the "Heating pellets are a no-no" statement as the bbq equivelant of "Aluminum speaker baskets are a must" for the audiopile crowd. grin

Andrew. I was wondering about pellet availability as well. It looks like Traeger is widely available in Canada (there are 5 places in the KW area) but I don't know the cost. I picked up a bag of mixed fruitwood with my GMG today at the $1 per lb. price. There is a GMG dealer in Barrie and I suspect their pricing is similar.

Your comments about the failing electronics is interesting. I have not seen any similar comments in the pellet grill discussions I've read, and I've done a LOT of reading in the last week. When you look at it, what you have is a simple control board, PID and a couple of thermometers. This is not bleeding edge tech, so it should not be hard to manufacture reliable electronics.

Edit: From the Gildale Farms website

"Can I use Gildale Fuel Pellets in my pellet barbecue?

Gildale Fuel Pellets are very effective in pellet barbecues. Our pellets are additive-free and are completely safe to use to cook your food."

Last edited by fredk; 07/10/15 05:11 AM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #413383 07/10/15 05:14 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Mark. I'm sure I read somewhere that square rooms enhance the flavour characteristics of pellet grills. You should buy one.

The Davey Crockett would be perfect. It would fit nicely between your mains and its short enough that it won't block the TV screen.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #413386 07/10/15 10:03 AM
smile

Andrew #413388 07/10/15 12:39 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By mapatton
Originally Posted By Wid

Which model GM do you have Mark? I have been looking into options for a dedicated smoker for some time now. I have used a standard Weber kettle for many years with great success, but I keep thinking I should get something "serious"! The problem is what should I buy? I have friends that swear by the simple WSM, others love their Big Green Eggs, and then there are the pellet guys. They tend to brag about not having to babysit them, but everyone one of them that I know personally (all have Traegers) have suffered from controller failure at some point! Yikes! I don't want to plunk down a pile of $$$ only to have the electronics give up the ghost in a year or two. Also, I am not sure of the availability of smoking pellets in Canada...I am sure they are available, but they could be very expensive. Any input is appreciated!

I have the Daniel Boone. Have had it for 6 years now. The advantage of a pellet smoker (at least GMG) over something ala BGE, is the fact you can go high on heat for grilling if desired. I can easily go anywhere from 150* F to 500* F. I would google smoker pellets for locations in CA to purchase them.

I have found pellet costs over the course to be slightly more expensive than using propane.

Last edited by mapatton; 07/10/15 12:40 PM.

Mark
Pio 94,SB3,BD30,A35,Pio 48AV.Pronto 7000 controlling all. Getting ready for 22s, 150 & QS8s.
fredk #413390 07/10/15 01:29 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Those Memphis 3 in 1's sure look good. All SS construction, and digital controls. Kinda spendy though.

Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters