Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The BS of HDR-TV and any high resolution video
MMM #413628 07/23/15 12:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If someone says your wrong and you are sure you are not then back up you position with proof. Mud slinging does not help anyone and I certainly cant learn if the experts are not sharing useful and factual info. There is no way for me to know which of you is correct. Its a shame since I am considering a tv upgrade and have not kept up with all the BS that goes with HDTV. For instance am I going to be screwed if I buy a tv now and then HDCP 2.2 come out. Will I need better cabling for the bandwidth , what other specs will I need to be aware of. I say put your ego's aside and lets hear some hard facts.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #413660 07/23/15 08:49 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
We are still very much in the early adoption phase of UHD. If all you are concerned about it more pixels, then you should be safe if the TV has HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 and you may need a new HDMI cable. If you want the other stuff, then you need at least HDMI 2.0a.

Look at the early adopters of HDTVs that only had analog composite video connections. A few years ago, the new cable boxes, blu-ray players, etc. would only sent out 480p to such TVs. The content providers don't care if early adopters get screwed and can't use the full potential of their expensive TV, they only care about keeping their content safe (or giving them the illusion of it being safe with these extra measures).

I want a new display really badly right now. Next summer I might even have the money to buy one, but I think I will upgrade to some nice dual subwoofers instead. The display market is really in flux, right now and it will likely not be a good time to buy a new display for 2 or 3 years, unless you just want a good 1080p set and not this new stuff we are talking about.

MMM #413667 07/24/15 03:41 AM
aficionado
aficionado
By the time Hdmi 2.2 is norm. It will be obsolete just go for the cheapest highest resolution you can get with the higher frame rate. By the time you calibrate it UHD is just a lot brighter. Unless its a projector size the 4k UHD details are slightly sharper and brighter.
Though all the stuff over on H.T.S. say the band width isn't up to par {only 10 or 15 Mbps}so far.
Though THEATER SHACK seems almost paid to promote a lot of products.

MMM #413670 07/24/15 08:53 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I get that impression too sometimes. The reviewers often talk about sponsored products, and keep them afterwards.

My posting slowed to almost nothing there, as "heck" was auto deleted from one of my posts. Censorship at that level is not cool.

MMM #413734 07/26/15 05:16 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 07/26/15 05:19 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
brendo #413836 08/01/15 04:29 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
Originally Posted By brendo
By the time you calibrate it UHD is just a lot brighter. Unless its a projector size the 4k UHD details are slightly sharper and brighter.

This may be the case now, but there seems to be a big enough push from the movie studios (with content), all the way through the TV manufacturers to make UHD more than that. If that is all that UHD is, then nobody will really care. If we can get high dynamic range and better and expanded colors, then that will make the whole thing very special. Just think about all the rave about the Pioneer Kuro plasmas and the last generation Panasonic plasmas. It was all about how great excellent contrast ratio and black levels look in a picture. The same is true on the projector end, how the JVC projectors are all the rave for the same reason. These displays and projectors have good performance in all areas of the board, but what sets them apart from all of the competitors is the contrast ratio and black levels. To a somewhat lesser extent, even when we consider the OLEDs by LG people get excited by the picture, even though they have had issues with uniformity of color and from what I remember with the first generation issues with shadow detail. It seems to be that contrast ratio is likely the biggest factor that can improve the perceived quality of an image. The exciting thing about high dynamic range is that we can get improvements in local contrast to levels we have never seem before. That is what gets me excited. This and all of the other stuff in the UHD package is enough to make the jump from HD maybe as big as the jump from standard definition to HD was, even without the extra resolution.

That is not to say that the industry can't just mess up the whole thing. Like just cranking the brightness and altering the expanded colors so that everything is artificially vibrant, to try to sell more TVs in the showroom with these more high performance TVs and saying that this is what UHD can offer. Just letting the good TVs show the extra performance that they have in UHD with quality material should be enough to sell the whole concept.

MMM #413838 08/01/15 05:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks Nick,
I agree with your thoughts, lets just hope it becomes the normal resolution and doesn't just end up as 3D has gone. To short lived.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters