Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25
Re: Question for the BBQ experts
fredk #413501 07/16/15 12:24 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Up your smoker temp to 250 and take the meat temp up to 200. You will then get pull off the bone pork.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

fredk #413608 07/22/15 04:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Now this thread is the bomb.
Having said that, i expect the NSA to begin flagging my posts and they should, because they'll get some great bbq tips.

We bought a Big Green Egg about 3 years ago now.
Portable?
No, not really.
But they can be!!

Low and slow is the way to master big meat cooking.
225F to 275F is the most common temp for ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc.
Time to cook depends on the pounds and cut (e.g. ribs alot less time than pulled pork which generally is smaller than brisket ...)
That being said, the shortest 7 lb brisket cook we had was 14 hours.
You gotta start them early in the morning, or cook them overnight which some people do.

There are many good websites out there with info, but some have more detail and fact based info which i tend to prefer over "Bob's home recipe", just because Bob says it works.

The best info i got for cooking a brisket, and notes on beef cuts, myths on basting, injections, time and temps to cook, etc. came from here:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Best info i got on the most objective trials for charcoal was from here:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
fredk #413609 07/22/15 04:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
And i may as well follow that up with this:

I am going to be looking for a temp auto controller for those times where i need to change the temps on the BGE for multiple item cooking. For single item, set temp and let run, not a problem.
Easy as pie.
Actually pie is rather hard to make IMO, so i'll say it is just easy.

We used several types of charcoal in our BGE and have settled on a Canadian brand which happens to be called Maple Leaf.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag3.htm
The flavour it gives to roasted corn on the cob done in the husks is damn amazing!
We also tried the Dragon's Breath the past year.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag78.htm
Harder to light, but damn it gets hot. Had a might sharper flavour that kind of overpowered things like shrimp. We liked it for beef and pork but decided an all around flavor for anything charcoal is probably best to use full time.

Have yet to try pizza on the BGE, but i know it can hit temps of 700F and up pretty damn fast!

fredk #413618 07/22/15 08:57 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
After too much time reading reviews, I ordered a MAK, one star general and some extra options, including their meat probe. I hope to put it to use this weekend.

michael_d #413625 07/22/15 11:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By michael_d
After too much time reading reviews, I ordered a MAK, one star general and some extra options, including their meat probe. I hope to put it to use this weekend.

And a meat probe is a definite must.
I used to cook 'by eye' and by overall cooking time, temp and meat thickness. That is still viable with hamburgers and steaks, but with a brisket?
Forget it.
That being said, i quite regularly stick the probe into some pork chops so i can get that exact temperature before they start to get dry.
I think that temp is 160F by Canadian Health standards but in the US it was bumped down to 145F. At 145F, the pork has just a nice light pink in the centre (not bloody). I quit cooking when the probe hits 140F and by the time the meat comes off to rest before plating, 145F is attained.

Briskets and pulled pork require higher temps, usually 195F to 200F. Fall off the bone though!
The first brisket we did was scrumptious and so filling. After dinner was done, people were still sitting at the table picking away at the brisket 'carcass'.

fredk #413634 07/23/15 01:27 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Good on ya, Mike(s)!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #413661 07/23/15 11:04 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By michael_d

Good stuff Mikey! The MAK has a very good reputation.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
chesseroo #413662 07/23/15 11:07 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By chesseroo

I am going to be looking for a temp auto controller for those times where i need to change the temps on the BGE for multiple item cooking. For single item, set temp and let run, not a problem.

That's why I went straight to the pellet grill. You get all that stuff with the base unit. A BGE would have been between 2 and 3 times the price and then I'd want to bolt on a PID.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #413664 07/24/15 12:02 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I haven't used it yet but I did get an Auber PID for a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain I just picked up. It's maiden voyage will be this Sunday. Making a couple racks of baby backs.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=396

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

fredk #413674 07/24/15 03:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By fredk
Originally Posted By chesseroo

That's why I went straight to the pellet grill. You get all that stuff with the base unit. A BGE would have been between 2 and 3 times the price and then I'd want to bolt on a PID.

And admittedly three years ago, i knew the BGE was more expensive than other kamado bbqs. I seriously considered the Big Steel Keg for about $400 less, but the only thing that turned me off was its inability to back down temperature as quickly as the BGE. That is to say, if you cooked potatoes at 425F then wanted to move the temp down to 325F for a roast, it took alot longer to get the temp to drop.
The good part is that it demonstrated its ability to hold heat, but it holds it so well that adjusting down takes time. The BGE also holds heat well, but it can turn down much quicker after adjusting.
That was the ONLY thing keeping me from getting the Big Steel Keg instead.
Otherwise with $400 to spare, i could have bought all these temp control trimmings at the time.

I had contemplated something like a pellet smoker back then, but they hadn't come as far as they have now. A low heat smoker for just indirect cooking wasn't as appealing.
I want to sear steaks and hamburgers. We've also done pizzas at 700F on the BGE.
How hot can the pellets go?
Can the modern ones do direct searing without IR?

Page 7 of 25 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020