banana plug preferance
#414229 08/24/15 02:09 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have run all my speaker wires in wall with a 5way binding post face plate beside the speaker and pre/power amp location.

In the past I have used banana plugs (from whatever source) as it's easer to plug in and keeps out all the fray wires that inevitably get out when trying to run bare wire into binding posts.

What do you use? are banana's ok, or should I really be looking at spade or is there something else better?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Re: banana plug preferance
MMM #414231 08/24/15 08:49 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Sewell deadbolts. Cheap and great.

A tight/permanent grip on the wire and a tight fit into the jack is all that matters. I also have fancy locking plugs from bluejeans. Not worth the extra money. Same performance as any other.

MMM #414237 08/24/15 03:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
I have run all my speaker wires in wall with a 5way binding post face plate beside the speaker and pre/power amp location.

In the past I have used banana plugs (from whatever source) as it's easer to plug in and keeps out all the fray wires that inevitably get out when trying to run bare wire into binding posts.

What do you use? are banana's ok, or should I really be looking at spade or is there something else better?

IMO spade lugs suck.

By far my favorite banana plugs are the "locking" banana plugs from Blue Jeans Cable.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
MMM #414267 08/26/15 02:27 AM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
If you're all happy with 20 milliOhms of additional resistance in your circuit, go ahead and use banana plugs. I'll stick with solder.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
MMM #414269 08/26/15 07:34 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Where are you using solder in your speaker connections? confused

AAAA #414272 08/26/15 05:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's not often around here that one asks a direct question, and, after 3 valid responses, remains none the wiser. You know that it is never my intention to actually help anybody here (litigation issues), but I CAN fan the flames of confusion, and pretty well, if I do say so, so here goes!

I have used banana plugs since they were first on the market; late 70's early 80's, I can't remember. (FO,AH!) I have never had kids around the house often. Occasionally, I've had to send BIG floral arrangements (and cash) to the funerals of kids who DID touch my gear. However, I've always had mid-sized dogs. It was more than once that the banana plugs got yanked out, but that's what kept the speaker from being pulled over, provided you have any exposed connections at all. So, that's my thought on that.

RE: soldering

After 3 decades, I just learned that the drivers in my Snells are 12g speaker cable, soldered to the driver tabs. (I KNEW when I bought it that I'd need that soldering gun for something, 9 years later! See, Mark, it's all good, eventually!)

The speaker connections in our Axioms have a mere pinched clip that slides over each metal connector tab on the drivers. And the "wwyres" are hardly 12g. They have failed and I thought it was the driver. A "failed" replacement caused me to look more closely and simply pinched the clip tighter with pliers. The original driver was fine after all.

I guess the point is that the connections INSIDE aren't as solid as a banana plug and speaker cable outside, so why sweat it? These different methods appear to please each of the users, so it's a choice. That is what the 3 different answers made clear. So, the posts get one nowhere? We're good, then.

RE: Kids 'n' Gear
Bill's whole family came here for his birthday two weeks ago. We always try to keep the party outside, in the middle of the street. OK, not really, we have a nice, shady yard. However, it started to rain and we had to have 'em all come in.

I had prepared way in advance. His granddaughter said about her 16-month old to ME, "You know he likes to touch everything." "Oh, he won't," I replied. "Why's that?" "Because that's what mothers do, right, watch their kids?" She was speechless.

Better yet, it worked. He only made contact with one volume knob in 2.5 hours. I'm told, at that age, they heal pretty quickly.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
MMM #414273 08/26/15 07:20 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
smile me likey.

BobKay #414274 08/26/15 07:24 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
You make some excellent points. I actually had a dust cap poked in by a toddler years ago so I learned that one can never be too careful. I also learned mother's don't like rope. You answered my following question. The speakers involved in this thread are Axioms, not Focal Grand Utopia's. Does the connection really matter so long as the connector isn't junk and the wire is fastened to it properly? I use banana plugs with 2 screws per to manage the strands in the Axiom wire.

MMM #414275 08/26/15 07:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FWIW , I solder the wires before putting the banana plugs on. I use them for simplicity sake and they are as secure as the wires used inside the speaker.

@SquareBob , I agree 100% with you and really kids should be on a leash when at someone else house smile

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #414278 08/27/15 02:04 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have ordered a set of 'Fake' Nakamichi banana plugs off ebay shipping slow boat from China as they simply cost 1/8 the price of buying them locally. I got the ones with two set screws and an anodized sleeve.

I did look at the locking type and don't know if they really offer much above and beyond a well designed banana plug. I wondered if the spade bits were popular, but I think it looks like little gained at the loss of convenience and safety from the bonehead breakaway feature banana inherently has.

As to BobGodPants points.

No: I do not own any sized dogs that will be inside my house let alone the room with speakers

My small kid has grown up and knows the fear of DAD (worse than god) if she touches anything inside MY room

I have this special device on the door called a lock so small creatures cannot get in. I also believe that parents need to take responsibility to look after their offspring regardless of age. It takes two people to make them, so both had an idea as to the responsibility taken on when they did. I have no qualms with literally kicking a family of guests out if they don't live up to their end of responsibility.

And yes, I beleive in retraining harnesses for children as a means to keep them under control. it's not degrading to the kid, but a valid means to secure your child from alien abduction

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082