Re: Getting close HT listening room
MMM #414360 09/01/15 08:40 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The hum is as soon at the TV is turned on. I am using it as a glorified monitor. There is nothing else plugged into it. The TV came from my grandmother and it being used in the other room in the basement. Heck, I probably could steal the old 40" Samsung in the gym that my wife uses to watch TV while jogging.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #414361 09/01/15 09:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Matt, I would not think for 2 channel listening there would be any need for a sub with the LFR's. Set it up so the subs only play the LFE channel and run the fronts full range and see how you like it.

As for BB, I would let it go. Anger is like drinking poison and hoping someone else dies. I am not a rich man but hey , its only money . smile

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #414362 09/01/15 09:38 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The problem was that the pre-amp had the full range LFR's set to small with a cross over at 120hz. I have not really got the room anywhere near being done, and still need to get or more to point build a rack for my amps and equipment. The room is littered still with the empty boxes of axiom speakers and other stuff. I know acoustically it is not perfect.

I did have a friend over a week or so ago, and my go to Holly Cole sounded rather tinny and bright. I have listened to this song many times with these exact speakers in a different room upstairs and they did not sound at all bright, so I know the speakers are more than capable to playing correctly. It's an issue with the setup right now. When I played some Dire Straights, it didn't sound as bad but like there wasn't any low end. Will give that a try now that the pre-amp is correctly set up

I have to make the decision about the boxes and what ones I keep and what I chuck. I think I will keep the sub boxes as they are new, and I have no plans on getting rid of the LFR's so keeping the boxes for them is a bit more pointless. I might look into packing some of the foam ends into other boxes and just flatten down the outside box for the LFR's. That will save a heap of space.

As for 2 channel listening with or without a sub. It's like asking why inane needs a 97 corvette to drive around. You don't need the speed but it sure is more fun to have it. I own the sub's so I might as well use them to supplement the full range sound that I am getting from the LFR's

Last edited by oakvillematt; 09/01/15 09:40 PM.

MMM #414373 09/04/15 09:09 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I sort of figured out the hum. I have to double check my amp plug wires as I think I might miss-labled the front plate. I put in a dedicated 20amp split plug for running an amp (so the top plug is split from the bottom plug but share a common neutral like you have in a kitchen) and another standard 20 amp plug for everything else. So I will need to figure out if the second plug is on the same phase at the top or bottom of the split plug.

Well, it was that I had the Axiom DSP plugged into the wrong outlet and that was causing the loop with the HDMI.

I did find a local supplier for the HDMI to DVI-D plug, and put one of my computer monitors down there. It gave the same humm so that is when I figured out the plug issue. But now I have a different sort of noise when I have my mini media computer on. Will have to see if running a proper SineWave UPS with the parts plugged into that will solve the issue.

With the Crossover set down to 40hz and the Bass Managment set to 80hz on the Marantz, the sound I am now getting is much better with Holly and Dire Straights. Must read that manual one more time to see if I can better figure out how the different settings work, and if Pure Direct bypasses the Sub's or not.

On another note, trying to think of how I would like the stand for my center channel to look like. I have seen how they do them with Axiom, but I am thinking of making mine more of a stylized table with some shelves or pull out draw on the front.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup