Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
LFR-1100's and assorted tests to be done
#414898 10/10/15 01:44 PM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Greetings everyone ... Since April, we have put together quite the collection of speakers and subwoofers in our place.

This started as a thread idea for Home Theater Shack - but the forum there just does not get a lot of traffic. It's not quite clear where the testing as being done will be posted, but it seemed like a fun idea to start a thread to get ideas about what people would like to see tested.

Here is what we have in house already (with a quick blurb on each):

Legacy Audio Signature SE's (Want B&W Diamond 802 sound for less than half the cost?)

Axiom Audio M3's (Blind tested at length full range against $1100 PSB Imagine B monitor, and with great results)

Axiom Audio M50's (The Swiss Army knife speaker - does fantastic things for under a kilobuck)

Chase Home Theater Theater 10's (Not pretty, but will hang with the $600 per speaker monitors one will find elsewhere)

Bose 301's (Because blind testing against them is a Floyd E Toole approved idea)

Axiom M100's (Delivering performance far above their price point. I would say at least double the price .. except for the next speaker)

Axiom LFR-1100's (For about $1730 more than M100's, increased detail, amazing sound stage, tightened bass)

Martin Logan ESL Hybrids (A fun speaker ... headphones without the annoying headphone feel)

PSB Imagine B Bookshelf (A standard bearer for several magazines)

Klipsch LaScala (Stereophile Class A, and a wonderful experience)

SUBWOOFERS

Axiom EP-800 (Reference quality bass)

SVS-PB-13 Ultra (Fantastic detail for a $2000 sub)

Chase Home Theater SS-18.2 (DIY without the work - Best 18 inch driver Eminence can build)

Outlaw Audio LFM-EX (Wonderful value sub - and working great after 7 years)

UNDER CONSIDERATION ...

SVS PC-2000 and Axiom EP350 ... both take up less than 2 square feet of space, and both around $800 USD delivered in the US.

The "under 2 square feet" is a big deal in most homes. Most subwoofers - especially those over 20 inches deep - stick out into the décor in most rooms.

Both the PC-2000 and EP350 promise excellent bass for relatively little $$$$ and floor space. I am likely going to test each in our 4500 cubic foot theater.

As for the rest ... As we get into late fall and early winter, look for a more detailed write up on the Legacy's, M100's and LFR-1100's. I am just not sure where the write ups will go. The hope is to make each a thread in which the performance and design goals can be discussed without rancor.

The same thing goes for the M3's, PSB's ... etc ...

Guests will be welcome here, should anyone wish to schedule a trip. Any manufacturer's product will be welcome - but it's important to understand many do not like listening tests done unless it's with that manufacturer's own "fan base".

Many would be surprised at the response when I ask if a manufacturer is interested in my purchasing a product for test purposes. For the record, Ed Mullen at SVS and Ian have been the most positive. This speaks volumes about their confidence.

OPEN THREAD ...

So please, consider this an open thread. Invite people from other forums to check this out, and if there is a product or idea you want to explore, let me know.

For some humor (hopefully) ... I do this because I love this hobby. When new speakers show up, it's like Christmas morning to a 6 year old. In the summer, I golf, in the winter, I "speaker", in terms of hobbies.

Re: LFR-1100's and assorted tests to be done
craigsub #414902 10/10/15 05:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thank you for posting in our forum, your reviews are very informative.
I'm not surprised that SVS and Axiom are the most willing for the comparisons. When I was still on the fence about Axiom, I came across a post here asking if we could play our M3 as full range speakers.
Ian replied back with the most confident, You can play any axiom at any range you like they can handle anything with ease.
Which came across almost cocky.
I was sold that much confidence and the link to the Scientific's, for proof on top. Very few company's would ever be so bold, let alone be able to back it up, with complete confidence in their products.
Looking forward to your hopefully awesome winter when the snow hits in a couple weeks.
Cheers Brendan

craigsub #414907 10/10/15 10:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Craig, I'm curious how the Klipsch R-115SW would compare in the $700-800USD range. It's in line price-wise with the SVS and Axiom and seems to get positive reviews.

Also, is there any chance of adding some of the better KEF speakers to your line-up(above the Q series...specifically the R700-900 towers).

Thanks again for spending the time and money to organise these tests, it's much appreciated.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
craigsub #414909 10/10/15 11:36 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
That Klipsch is nice competition for the PB-2000!

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
craigsub #414910 10/10/15 11:46 PM
M
M
Craig, what's the story behind the comment you made on the 301s?

It's the worst speaker I've ever heard! Even the Realistic Nova 6 is better. I'd rather listen to my plastic Sonys under water than the 301s smile.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
craigsub #414911 10/11/15 12:07 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
These tests are a great read any very informative. You do a great job. I'd love to read some GTG reports and think it would be great if you could get guests to lug their own speakers over. If you were within driving distance I'd drag some over for fun.

I know it isn't your your goal to do a shootout style, or proclaim "winners" but as a reader and follower of online reviews I'd offer some suggestions to satisfy naysayers if you take your reviews to other forums. If you post here at Axiom, this wont be an issue, but you wont get as broad of readership.

Tell them where speakers fall short. Overly positive reviews are boring and sound scripted. Tell them how they compare directly to speakers on hand. Be blunt and precise where necessary. Reviews will be nitpicked, be prepared to shut down critics with pictures and stats. Provide in room "as tested" measurements of frequency response using a standardized test for all speakers. I recommend dual mono pink noise, because its easy and you dont have to do per channel sweeps. Test without room correction, and without subs. Give an acoustic impression of your room as well.

Create a standardized test report format (like Ralph Potts' bluray reviews). Include lots of pics and be technical. Stats and graphs matter to experienced (and often oppositional) readers.

The readers can glean how a speaker's response and description in your room compares with others, and your preferences according to your reviews. If you provide measurements, your reviews will be AVS friendly as well.

I wont suggest speakers, but am looking forward to read your upcoming reports. Keep up the great work.

Mojo #414912 10/11/15 12:16 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Adrian - I listened to the R700's at a high end store, and it was less than impressive. The GoldenEar speakers they had were quite a bit better.

Is there any interest in GoldenEar?

The Klipsch sub is larger than we planned on ... but it's the best budget choice so far in the "brick and mortar" subwoofers. Good recommendation!

Mojo #414913 10/11/15 12:18 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By Mojo
Craig, what's the story behind the comment you made on the 301s?

It's the worst speaker I've ever heard! Even the Realistic Nova 6 is better. I'd rather listen to my plastic Sonys under water than the 301s smile.

This is what makes blind tests so informative. One would think that every listener would easily pick another speaker over the 301 ... but what about those who possibly don't?

AAAA #414914 10/11/15 12:26 AM
C
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
These tests are a great read any very informative. You do a great job. I'd love to read some GTG reports and think it would be great if you could get guests to lug their own speakers over. If you were within driving distance I'd drag some over for fun.

I know it isn't your your goal to do a shootout style, or proclaim "winners" but as a reader and follower of online reviews I'd offer some suggestions to satisfy naysayers if you take your reviews to other forums. If you post here at Axiom, this wont be an issue, but you wont get as broad of readership.

Tell them where speakers fall short. Overly positive reviews are boring and sound scripted. Tell them how they compare directly to speakers on hand. Be blunt and precise where necessary. Reviews will be nitpicked, be prepared to shut down critics with pictures and stats. Provide in room "as tested" measurements of frequency response using a standardized test for all speakers. I recommend dual mono pink noise, because its easy and you dont have to do per channel sweeps. Test without room correction, and without subs. Give an acoustic impression of your room as well.

Create a standardized test report format (like Ralph Potts' bluray reviews). Include lots of pics and be technical. Stats and graphs matter to experienced (and often oppositional) readers.

The readers can glean how a speaker's response and description in your room compares with others, and your preferences according to your reviews. If you provide measurements, your reviews will be AVS friendly as well.

I wont suggest speakers, but am looking forward to read your upcoming reports. Keep up the great work.

Thanks - I will likely be picking up the latest Omni-Mic system from Parts Express. It's accurate and simple to use. I have the original one here, but it's 4 years old now, and the newer one looks like a nice step up.

It's going to take some time to get all this organized, but most of what you suggested is already in place. No room EQ is being used now.

craigsub #414916 10/11/15 12:50 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Awesome! smile

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics