Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Heading to CEDIA tomorrow
nickbuol #415038 10/17/15 03:20 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Yeah, the forum auto-sizes them. Then again, it also rotated my vertical ones.

Two others thing about Atmos and DTS:X

Now that Atmos has been humming along for home users for about a year, there is a lot more understanding of what sounds good, etc. Everyone who isn't trying to sell you Atmos Enabled speakers agrees that overhead speakers are the best option (as expected) for immersive sound. The reflected sound from Atmos Enabled speakers, while pretty good, is actually much more limiting as too high of a ceiling and the reflections are too dispersed, too low and they aren't reflected to the seating area. In an ideal situation, the reflected Atmos Enabled sound gets you about "75% there" to what overhead speakers can do. If you have a ceiling between 8 feet and 14 feet, and don't want overhead speakers, you will never get that last 25%, but that might be OK for you.

The other big thing was that having overhead (and "surround") speakers that can be set to about 60Hz. Studios have started to mix in a lot of "lower frequency energy" into the side/rear/overhead speakers for Atmos mixed (and it is expected for DTS:X as well).

This is something that the Atmos Enabled speaker manufacturers, or at least a couple of them, admit is going to be part of a future Atmos "certification" program. That means that the tiny reflective speakers that they currently use in Atmos Enabled speakers will become obsolete at some point and they will have to add larger speaker components at some point to meet the new spec, but don't expect it to be loudly announced as Dolby certainly doesn't want to have any negative "press" as they are still working on getting Atmos into more and more homes.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #415039 10/17/15 04:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By nickbuol
Yeah, the forum auto-sizes them. Then again, it also rotated my vertical ones.

It wasn't downsizing the pics while in flat mode. It was ok in threaded mode.

Great write up btw. And excellent photos.
That was a nice vicarious trip through CEDIA.

Quote:
as they are still working on getting Atmos into more and more homes.

Uh, most people i know still don't even have a 5.1 sound system which is why i find it amazing that these new and expanding sound formats are coming out.
Who exactly are they pushing this stuff on?
The 1% of the population?

If i think about 10 people i know, couple of guys from the hockey team, some neighbors, about 3 of those 10 have attempted to put together some type of surround sound system and maybe 1 of those 10 have bought speakers from a box store that are not a HTIB package.

Of everyone i know in town, with one exception, no one else has built a complete and functioning 5.1 system. I don't know a single person who has anything more than 5.1 except for people on these forums.

So again i ask, who exactly are they pushing this stuff on?
Who the hell is going out to buy 6, 7, 8 speakers when masses of people (perhaps even the majority) still don't have 5.1 systems?

It is interesting if they are just catering to the audiophiles. I'm sure it is a sizeable group, but enough to bank all these new formats and cost to develop them on a residential scale?

Came across this slightly older thread in AVS asking the same question.
Seems my ratio of friends with systems is slightly higher.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speaker...ound-sound.html

A good and short and relatively current article on latest formats here:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultimate-surround-sound-guide-different-formats-explained/

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
AAAA #415042 10/17/15 11:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
No issues on my ipad with photo sizes.

Could be a browser issue Chess with resizing.

Yep, miles of scrolling in Safari, but 5 X 7's in Firefox.

Scott

My HT
chesseroo #415044 10/17/15 11:54 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By chesseroo
Uh, most people i know still don't even have a 5.1 sound system which is why i find it amazing that these new and expanding sound formats are coming out.

You have to realize that there is a number of people who honestly believe that

a) the surround setting on their will give them actual surround sound
b) that a soundbar that has 5 speakers inside of it is 5.1 surround sound
c) that walmart sells high end sound systems but at a more reasonable price point

I don't know what the Dolby people are really thinking. The only thought pattern that I can figure is they use the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. There is the Dolby Vision standard that they are pushing now.

I personally found I didn't find any benefit from 7.1 over 5.1 so I put my money into getting the best 5.2 that I could justify and will be the point that I stop at. Your thought of the 1%, I think that might be an optimistic number for Atmos/DTS-X

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #415046 10/17/15 12:41 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Originally Posted By oakvillematt

I personally found I didn't find any benefit from 7.1 over 5.1 so I put my money into getting the best 5.2 that I could justify and will be the point that I stop at. Your thought of the 1%, I think that might be an optimistic number for Atmos/DTS-X

smile

And yet here we are. And a national tradeshow. And theatrical rollouts happening. And strong interest among enthusiasts.

It always starts with the 1%'ers. Hey, thats you now! Acheivement unlocked!! laugh

BTW, the new Mad Max Fury Road is a crazy good 7.1 mix. The thought of it in immersive is just.........

AAAA #415047 10/17/15 01:07 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Great write up! This was a lot of work, and much appreciated.

I have to ask ... who is the guy in the picture? Or did I miss it in the narrative somewhere?

nickbuol #415048 10/17/15 01:25 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
So we dont say his name and trigger his google auto search.

He is the founder of the AH forum.

AAAA #415049 10/17/15 01:35 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Thanks Serenity. Makes sense. smile

MMM #415050 10/17/15 02:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
Originally Posted By chesseroo

You have to realize that there is a number of people who honestly believe that

a) the surround setting on their will give them actual surround sound
b) that a soundbar that has 5 speakers inside of it is 5.1 surround sound
c) that walmart sells high end sound systems but at a more reasonable price point

I don't know about 'belief' but you touched on one point that is always a priority; cost.
Most people don't want to afford $2k for a complete, quality home surround system.
Most don't even want to pay $500 for that.
Quality is a moot point.

Quote:

I don't know what the Dolby people are really thinking. The only thought pattern that I can figure is they use the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. There is the Dolby Vision standard that they are pushing now.

Yes throwing something until it sticks sounds about right.
My estimate of 1% is for any surround format, not just the latest.
My sample size is rather small though and where i live, people are outright skinflint bargain hunting yard sale shoppers so there is a huge bias towards "the best deal" which more often than not is pretty junky or a damaged purchase.

My own system is 5.1 but setup for 7.2 at any time.
I myself haven't felt the need to move to 2 extra speakers and another sub and i love this stuff.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
nickbuol #415052 10/17/15 03:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nick, thank you for spending so much time and effort. Very informative. Those beautiful whitish coloured speakers are Paradigm's? maybe replacement line for the Studios?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters