Re: Lets plan a theater space
AAAA #415122 10/21/15 12:02 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Remaining 2 corner traps are deployed on front wall straddling the inside of the corner traps. Noticable improvement in bass tightness during movies. Kick drums sound very tight as well.

New RT60 dropped across the board by a slight ammount. Now at 0.27 at the high treble descending to 0.32 at lower midrange. The lowest octave is now at 0.49s. Good improvement.

Still evaluating QRD. Can't wrap my mind around how it does what it does. Crazy.

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 10/21/15 12:05 AM.
AAAA #415123 10/21/15 12:16 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Frequency response unchanged pretty much. They did not cure any dips in the low end response. Hmmmm.

AAAA #415124 10/21/15 12:30 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Very impressive effort, but it would be way too much tweeking & science for me. I'm just lazy I guess & don't obsess over this stuff anymore.

I set up my system so that it fits the room & is visually appealing, do minimal adjusting & then enjoy. I haven't changed anything in a year except turned Audyssey Off to take out its EQ that it added to the higher freqs (unnecessary IMO).

Good luck in your quest for perfection...

TAM

AAAA #415125 10/21/15 12:56 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
smile

Its a game of inches.... But when it all comes together it's miles better.

I'm almost finished. Out of insulation and room decay headroom. I'll probably put diffusion on the rear wall at some point. I enjoy the theory meets reality part of our hobby, but it doesn't always work out that way. It's fun as long as I'm learning something.

You guys have been a big help.

AAAA #415126 10/21/15 01:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
Still evaluating QRD. Can't wrap my mind around how it does what it does. Crazy.

If you felt really brave, you could try putting an equal amount of regular styrofoam (or whatever you used) across the wall instead of the QRD and see what that does.

I wouldn't, though. It works. Be happy.

When you were building the QRD, did you put pieces of wood across the bottom of each well between the dividers, or is that just foam at the bottom ? I have seen them built both ways with nary a mention of why one would or would not do it.

I may have to make one of these as a winter project. With a bit of luck (and some really big-ass hinges) I could turn it into a pair of double-pane shutters for the big window that makes up most of my front wall.

Thanks very much for posting your work and your results. It's a real help for anyone trying to achieve similar results, and probably a great source of amusement for the ones who are not.

Last edited by bridgman; 10/21/15 01:42 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
AAAA #415128 10/21/15 09:16 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Each piece of foam is the full height of the well required. They are sandwiched together like an oreo cookie. The "0" height wells have a piece of well dividing material as the bottom. The well dividing material I used is 1/8" thuck. There is no backer sheet of plywood (to save weight) but two pieces of straight 5" jamb stock instead.

The top and bottom of the wells are open except where it rests on the support shelf (about 4' wide.) I should mention I went out of my way to build all supports in close proximity to the subs at non right angles (45 degrees angled away) where possible. This in theory reduces the problem of subs humps/coloration (like placing near a corner). I have messed around with a pb12-nsd and a JBL sub beside ikea besta units at my brothers places. Learned some lessons there.

AAAA #415130 10/21/15 02:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very nice. Thanks !

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
AAAA #415138 10/21/15 11:08 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Mostly for Bridgman so he can decide if a qrd is right for his preferences.

Ok, initial impressions of QRD after a few hours of music listening and The Hobbit Five Armies. The QRD didnt exist in place for very long without the front wall absorbers added, so they are part of this impression as well. Remember the sidewalls and front corners were treated but the front wall was bare.

Two major things happened with addition of the QRD/Bass traps. They both made a positive benefit in their own way -But the QRD is still far and away the most dramatic improvement to listening experience (built on the foundation of proper placement and sidewall control.)

The general response of the room didn't change in the mlp as far as measurements go, but the system's off axis response is now very smooth and consistent. I will say as a net result I turned the sub level down for stereo sources, as the soundfield is seemingly more dynamic and impactful with the corner traps I think.

First Major Change:
The center image doesn't fall apart when you move your head, in fact the center phantom is not really the same at all. It is more fleshed out and robust. Instead of a tight ball of sound fixed in place it's more like you're seated a few rows back from center stage. Vocals sound like they are coming from a person and not laser tight. The phantom now has dimension and depth, texture and even height somehow. Mono recordings from Louis Armstrong sound like he is singing through his trumpet. Really. You can hear his gravelly breath in each note. There really isn't a clearly defined ball of sound in the middle at all. Each individual element that used to be smashed into that ball is decompressed and clearly formed in its own space.

It seems the phantom is now created as much by the re-direction of sound from the diffuser as much as it's created by my ear/brain. This would explain in part why it seems there is a giant wall wide speaker in the room. It is re-emitting sound at a slight delay and phase shifted from the input sound. One of my books calls this a "passive surround" effect.

Second Major Change:

The ENTIRE width of the front wall is now part of the sounstage. In Jazz recordings where players are set into sections (right left center back etc.) the furthest right/left player appear to be coming from the corner where the screenwall meets the wall. The back sounds like its in back. I used John Coltrane's Love Supreme (which I actually have never been able to sit through) for testing. Super wide. I messed with a bunch of material with complex drum tracks. LCD Soundsystem/Barenaked Ladies/Phil Collins/Vampire Weekend/Tears for Fears/etc. Lots of synthy fast beats mixed with hand percussion and the occasional cowbell. Each little transient was a seperate and detailed with robust body and texture, especially bongos I noticed. There was now space and shape associated with each impulse. Cool.

The increased level of texture and space really benefits every aspect of the music I have tested. The detail is incredible. Eg. The Raconteurs "Consolers of the lonely" has very low level talking in the lead track through the song. At 0:30 you can clearly hear someone say "double track that."

I will admit, it is not really fair to compare it head to head with absorbers so far as overall audio impact, they are different tools- but I don't think it would be as pleasant of an effect in a room without somewhat "controlled" decay behaviour. Diffusers should be mated with absorbers. Absorbers still should come first. I think you can get the same clean, textured and seperated sound with absorbtion only, but you need a lot and spaciousness suffers. The QRD puts space back in spades.

I like it. A lot.

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 10/21/15 11:13 PM.
AAAA #415173 10/25/15 01:05 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Proper photos done. Waiting on rest from photographer. Here's a teaser. Finished photo's are a nice wrap up. smile

Thanks to all those who gave their input, especially Nick. To the silent followers, thanks for keeping me motivated with your views.

Cheers!

More photos to come soon. And less talking from me. grin

AAAA #415175 10/25/15 02:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow. That looks beautiful. Looking forward to the other pix.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
Page 55 of 89 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 88 89

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616