LFR1100 vs M100 for Movies and Gaming
#415313 11/05/15 04:17 PM
O
regular
OP Offline
regular
O
Hello,

I'm putting together a HT primarily for movies and gaming and am very interested in Axiom after reading rave reviews about the LFR1100.

I was wondering, which is the better choice if my primary purpose will be movies and gaming? Is there a downside to using the "omnidirectional" LFR1100 as lefts and rights in what will ultimately be a 7.2 setup?

Also, any idea how the LFR1100 and/or M100 stack up against the B&W CM10?

Finally, does anyone in either NYC or Nassau County, Long Island have either a LFR1100 or M100 I could take a listen to?

Thanks!

Re: LFR1100 vs M100 for Movies and Gaming
OmniCurious #415315 11/05/15 06:08 PM
local
local
Hi,

I have two LFR1100s (as front L/R) in my 5.1 HT system and they work great! There are two potential downsides:
1) They ideally need more room behind them compared to M100, and
2) They cost a lot more (including DSP and more channels of amplification that are needed)

I also use mine for music so consider it well worth it but that might not be the case for you especially if you plan to use a receiver in your system.

OmniCurious #415319 11/05/15 07:34 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I live on the wrong side of the lake from you, but like Cohesion, have the LFR1100s in my 5.1 HT. I mainly got the speakers for music listening but use the room for watching some TV and movies as well.

I did look long and hard at the sound that I could get as I wanted to buy one set of speakers while my hearing was still good and I was young enough to enjoy them. I looked at Paradigm, Totem and B&W. Specifically the B&W 804. They are a different sound but personally I found that irrespective of the price difference, I did prefer the Axiom LFR1100 to them. The best way to define it was more they felt like you were up close and personal with the sound. Maybe not as precice a sound but more of an emotional connection.

As for how they work in the HT setting. They are a bit of a double edge sword. The sound they produce is much larger and so the sound stage they can produce is too large for some movies where they tend to over extend the field at the cost of the other speakers. I am not a die hard movie fanatic and watch more to loose myself for the time. The effect of the speaker I don't let detract from my enjoyment of the movie, but when thinking back to my past speaker setups, I think that a smaller speaker gave more separation of the channels and more impact to the surround effect nothing overshot another.

Don't get me wrong, the LFR and VP180 speakers are an incredible combination for sound impact. Perhaps they shine too strong for the QS8's I have for my surounds.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
OmniCurious #415325 11/05/15 10:57 PM
O
regular
OP Offline
regular
O
Thanks for the replies, Cohesion and Oakvillematt.

I'm kind of torn - the incredible soundstage I'd read about was what interested me in the LFR1100, but if I'm understanding correctly, the soundstage may somehow overpower the rest of the speakers in the setup and ruin the surround effect?

Cohesion, how far from the back of the wall do you find they need to be to perform their best? What about from the side?

I auditioned the B&W CM10 yesterday and the day before, and both times I thought it was crystal clear with a breathtaking soundstage. Have either of you guys heard this speaker, specifically, and do you think the LFR1100 can best it in terms of clarity/fidelity and soundstage?

Thank you!

OmniCurious #415327 11/06/15 12:17 AM
local
local
Hey Omni,

I have not heard the B&W CM series but I have heard their 800 'Diamond' series. I honestly believe that the Axiom LFRs or M100s are better although at this level differences are small.

Having said that, I like my movies big and loud and my music even louder, and I've sunk some money in amps so that I can enjoy both. For movies I do enjoy a wide Soundstage and have the Axiom VP180HP to help ensure the dialogue is well centered on the screen.

How much room is best for the LFRs? Probably more than I have, but the results are still quite acceptable. I probably have about 18 inches behind each of them and less on each side. There's a boundary switch on the DSP that can be used to tweak the sound but I don't remember if I tried it!

OmniCurious #415330 11/06/15 01:51 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I have 2'6" on each side of my speakers and just shy of 2' behind. I run mine off an older Anthem MCA5ii along with my VP180v3.

The biggest problem with any speakers are they can sound exceptional in the dealers showroom and sound like crap when you get them home to your room. It's not that the speakers have changed at all, but the sound they give is in response to your rooms acoustics.

If you spend a good few hours reading through the past posts here, you will see an honest array of what users have done to try and get the best sound out of their speakers, and how amazed some are that speakers they thought were lacking suddenly blossomed with crazy things like changing a couch or leaving cushions against a back wall.

The LFR speakers I personally find are not crystal clear definition sound. But I am super glad they are not. I find that very tiring to listen to over a long period of time. They are more relaxed and you do hear all the nuances of the tracks and detail that smaller less capable speakers just won't reproduce, but deliver it in a more friendly way. I don't want pinpoint definition when listening. I like the music to feel like it's more around me.

The best part about Axiom is they will sell you the speakers and give you 30 days to decide. The cost of shipping them back if they just don't work for you is small peanuts. I originally bought M80's and found that the bottom end bass was not as rich as I would have liked, and they took them back without hassle as I went to the LFRs that I have not stopped loving.

If you were closer, I'd say come over. Bring some beers and spend a good 4-5 hours enjoying.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,463
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020