#41611 04/16/04 01:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
do I get some kind of security fee?

Re: OT: New Avatar test
#41612 04/16/04 01:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bowling for colombine was a great movie.

while biased... the thing about americans being scared etc.. soo true.

#41613 04/16/04 03:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Guns beget more guns.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#41614 04/16/04 05:07 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I have to admit, I'm (almost) with BigJohn on this one. His "times like these" comment shows some of the fearmongering about crime (which is down something like 20% - but crime reporting is up 400%), but I don't see why any tool should be outlawed.

After something like the Battle in Seattle, however, I'm not all that big on allowing the "servants of the people" access to weapons that the common man either can't have or is restricted in using. If it's good enough for (Seattle Police Sargeant) Richard Goldstein, it's good enough for me.

Bren R.

#41615 04/16/04 07:08 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
As long as they're trained and keep their firearms securely locked up when not in use, gun owners are fine with me. It's always the idiots who screw things up for everyone else.

#41616 04/16/04 03:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

It's always the idiots who screw things up for everyone else.

And do you know how many idiots are out there Peter?
Sometimes i wonder if there are more idiots than intellligent folk.
I wish we could take a head count. I'm curious to know.

#41617 04/16/04 03:52 PM
devotee
devotee
Statistics show that the violent crime rate goes down wherever concealed-carry laws have been passed. I am in full support of allowing people to carry concealed, as long as they have the appropriate training and background checks. I am a CCW license holder, and I own a Kimber Compact CDP, a Glock 33, a Springfield XD-357 and a Sig P-220.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#41618 04/16/04 05:01 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
my wife and i are both licensed CCW in the state of texas. i agree with everything thats being said here. licensed, responsible, safe, trained, and willing.

my belief, far out as it might be, is that we should require ALL households to have someone certified and trained to fire a weapon, and require that ALL households have a working gun. now wait before you jump on this.. imagine how much personal and property crime would decrease if the criminals knew that the house they were breaking into had a person inside that was trained to shoot and kill them............and every house had someone like that inside... its just an idea i have.. it will never happen, and there are too many loopholes.. but i think it would make criminals rethink their choices.

i am not soap-boxing here.. it looks like this thread has been officially hijacked, and i am just keeping it going.

i swear, im not crazy.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#41619 04/16/04 05:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

i think it would make criminals rethink their choices.

But it doesn't, and this is also well known. Capital punishment has never deterred homicide rates and this is a primary argument against that very law. Two ppl having guns when being held up only INCREASES the chance that someone will get shot and you can be sure the criminals will do what they can to make sure they get you first.

If you want every household to have a gun, move to a country like Rwanda or some of the other stricken S.African countries where every man, woman and CHILD has a gun!! (literally). Those countries are doing oh so well and what put them there? People with guns that decided to start revolutions for a large part.
Don't think it can happen in America?
The public certainly has enough guns to pull it off.

Guns beget more guns, period.
Eye for an eye, mine vs. yours, you shoot me, i'll shoot you attitude does not make for a peaceful society whatsoever.
Try carrying mace instead.
Non lethal and brutally effective. For anyone who has ever been hit by mace, you KNOW what i mean. (This is not some paltry pepper spray i'm referring to).

Twelve kids a day on average is TOO many regardless of the source of the shooting (accidental, intentional or negligence). Sights i care not to see in our country thank you.

#41620 04/16/04 06:13 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i can dig what you are saying chess.. and i wish this was a "peaceful society", but its not.. and that is the simple truth.

i see in your bio that you live in canada. i am curious, is that just now, or were you raised in canada.. heres what i am getting at.. there is no question that the US is a much more violent society, as a whole, than canada. and the US has different laws concerning gun control, capitol punishment, and government/personal involvement.. i see what you are saying, and where you are going with your point of view. but i think your viewpoint is directly linked to the environment you were brought up in. you have become a product of what is around you. i, on the other hand, was raised in a different environment, a different society, with completely different inputs than yourself. that doesnt make either of us right or wrong, it makes us products of our environment.

your views are based on what you see and do everyday.. and mine are based on what i see and do everyday.

i truly wish i lived in a society more like yours. maybe i wouldnt feel the way i do.. and if you lived in mine, you might not think my ideas were so crazy..

BTW- if you got mace, and your home intruder has a gun.. you are gonna lose..

no animosity here, just different views of the same subject.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082