Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What are your plans for Star Wars?
INANE #415995 12/20/15 05:08 PM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ya I don't want to spoil the movie for those waiting a bit. I enjoyed it a lot but do have some critiques.

Any for the movie theater experience... was my first time going to an Alamo. It's definitely a little different than a traditional theater. The Star Wars lobby was pretty cool. We got to our seat early. They have a full bar and restaurant so I indulged for a beer. The Alamo doesn't play any ads before the movie instead they have 30mins of campy Star Wars crap which was overall pretty fun to watch. Bits of old 80's Star Wars TV shows, toy commercials even a bunch of clips from Asian movie rip offs.

The screen was clear (saw the 2D version) but not the largest ever. The theater I was in was suppose to be Atmos. I've only seen a couple shows in Atmos so far. Some have been good, others average. I was a little disappointed in this one. Not sure if its how they mastered the movie or the theater. Guess time will tell on that. All in all it was a pretty fun Dec the 18th for me and the wife.

CV #416008 12/21/15 04:29 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By CV
... I'm still looking forward to seeing it at the Boeing IMAX at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle with the laser projection system...

That's the only reason I'm seeing it in an IMAX theater. I'm going on the 30th with the kids. Hope the experience is not disappointing.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
INANE #416014 12/21/15 07:36 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Took the family over the weekend.
It lived up to my expectations and then some.
My only gripe was with the volume....too loud....
The 3D was nicely done but I'd like to see it without, gotta see it again either way.
Certainly worth the ticket price, a must see in the theatre IMO.

Last edited by brwsaw; 12/21/15 07:36 PM.

brwsaw #416142 12/31/15 04:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, the plot line surprised me a little, but all in all it was a great movie.

The laser Imax is quite impressive, but subtly so. I wasn't really gobsmacked by the increase in brightness for 3D or the detail, but both were evident throughout the movie. Shadow and dark scene detail was impressive.

Overall the 3D work was very good. There were only a couple of scenes at the beginning of the movie that were eye-roll worthy.

After the movie we found this amazing little (tiny actually) casual Indian/Asian restaurant on Adelaide St. called Ravi Soups. The main table was this huge 4" thick live edge slab. $50 for three of us is dirt cheap in Toronto and doubly so because the food was really, really tasty and very well presented.

Fred

-------
INANE #416146 12/31/15 07:32 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Yep, the plot line surprised me too but I also enjoyed the film. It did remind me of the original three more than the prequels. Saw it at a local MJR Theater, 2D with Atmos, the film was supposed to be in Atmos but I did not hear anything exceptional. Not that it didn't sound great, it did, just nothing stood out. Really appreciated that the volume was reasonable, no ear ringing when I left the Theater. They did play a couple of Atmos Demo tracks. These tracks definitely let you hear the audio potential of Atmos.
My 2 cents, Jeff

Jeff_in_the_D #416169 01/01/16 05:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, I'm gonna upgrade my impressidness level of Imax laser projection to Uber Impressed. I watched the last X-Men movie last night with my son. This is the first time I've thought the image quality of a Blu-ray movie on my projector. Where's the detail? Never thought I'd write that about my pj.

Fred

-------
INANE #416220 01/04/16 01:10 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I've seen it twice now. First was 2D with Atmos the second was IMAX 3D.

This movie didn't really need the 3D. It was done OK I guess but I kinda liked it better in the 2D format. Thou the one scene that was filmed in IMAX was really cool to see that way.

Sound wise I also didn't feel like they mixed it in Atmos very well. Compared to a few other Atmos movies I've seen. The IMAX theater was quite a bit louder. Not sure which I would say sounded better.

As for seeing the movie a second time, I did enjoy it more. I think I was fighting expectations and over thinking it too much the first time I saw it.

INANE #416230 01/04/16 02:20 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Finally got to see this. Despite my distaste of 3D and wearing those stupid glasses, we went to the 3D version. As far as 3D goes, I found it to be better than any other that I've seen to date, including Avitar. I thought it was tastefully done, and without all the dumb "poke you in the eye" gimmicks.

As far as the movie goes, very entertaining. It reminded me of watching Star Wars in the movie theater as a kid when it first came out. Looking forward to getting the BlueRay.

INANE #416237 01/04/16 04:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We bought the bluray Star Wars complete set for our daughter.
Once we've finished watching them all at home, we'll go to see the new episode.
Got some VIP movie passes for a gift which gives prime seating in ultra luxury wide seats and in a licensed alcohol area.
http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/VIP

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
INANE #416245 01/04/16 07:31 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I was happy with the experience at the Boeing IMAX at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. It didn't wow me right away, but over the course of the movie, I appreciated it more and more, especially during the dark scenes, as well as the vibrancy of the colors from the lightsabers and blasts.

I would agree with most people that I'd rather have it without the 3D. Some of it can look cool, but it never looks natural, and the eye strain doesn't make it worth it for me. I want to see other movies at the Pacific Science Center due to the image quality, but the 3D is not a seller for me.

Tom, what did you think of your experience there?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters